Watch Freeks banner

Zulu or Nato Straps

• yes I love them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like them, but only on certain watches.

• I have 1 watch with it and that is enough

• I downright hate them and would never wear one

• other

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, we have all had the discussions before, bracelets, leather, do we like rubber, etc.

So how do we feel about Nato straps, Zulu straps, etc.

I personally cant stand them, and that is just my preference and opinion. No foul if you actually like them, just wondering what the members here think.

I just dont personally understand them. I used to be a bracelet only guy, then I got some nice pieces with some good italian or natural rubber, and for the right piece, I like a real good rubber band. I never really like leather, then I saw how many custom or high quality leather straps you can get , and it started to wear on me. Now , I am much more inclined to have a piece on leather, as long as it is nice and thick and good quality.

But the zulu's and Natos, I just dont get, they personally remind me of watches I had as a kid with the cheap material straps on them. I know they are probably comfortable, but to me, nothing ruins the good looks of a watch more than putting one of these straps on it. Again, not condeming them, it just personally doesnt do it for me.

So, what you say freeks. Nato or Zulu's , yah or nay......and if yes, what is the appeal of them to you.

I added a poll, only because we never use polls around here....lol.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
imported post

I have a 2 piece Zulu on one of my beaters. Love it, very comfy. I'm looking for a one piece NATO now. Just need to find the right color.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
imported post

I dont have any yet, but I plan on getting one for my next purchase (Seiko orange monster).

I assume they are very comfortable, and they are easily replaced. If I scratch the bracelet on the monster, it's about $45 to replace it, if I rip a nato or zulu it's $20 at most to replace it.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I don't care for them, Don. Honestly, besides not really caring for them, I don't really have any watches that I would consider put one on. It's like rubber . . . I can't stand the material on my skin.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

I think they have their place on the right watch. I own a couple but they are not on anything at the moment. I saw a Seiko Orange Monster on a black Zulu with an orange stripe, I think it looked great and may get one for mine. They are priced right and allow you to switch up the look with ease.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
imported post

Understand this is my personal thing.

I hate 'em.

I find them uncomfortable.

To me, they feel cheap on the wrist.

That's how I feel about it, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

Spaceview wrote:
I think they have their place on the right watch. I own a couple but they are not on anything at the moment. I saw a Seiko Orange Monster on a black Zulu with an orange stripe, I think it looked great and may get one for mine. They are priced right and allow you to switch up the look with ease.
you mean this one Marc? :c

i love mine. super comfy. i've got a Bond ZULU on my Frankenmonstah, too.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

toecutter wrote:
Understand this is my personal thing.

I hate 'em.

I find them uncomfortable.

To me, they feel cheap on the wrist.

That's how I feel about it, anyway.
+1
I agree with the statement above 100%.
I have tried them one time and am not a fan.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
imported post

I personally really like them. They are VERY comfortable and can really add to the look of a watch. Now mind you, it depends on the watch itself. I would never put one on my Stratoforte, my Tachymiler or my Oceanaire for example. But on these following models I think it looks great:

In the right light when you get a the greenish tinge from the lume on this, this strap really sets it off.

I love the look of the Bond:

Two other considerations are the low price and the safety factor. I've seen people put their Omegas and Rolexes on these so if a spring bar breaks/pops loose you won't lose the watch.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I like the look and feel - prefer Zulu over the Nato

it depends alot on the watch - i have a bond Zulu on my Grand Diver Black and i think it looks awesome

they are also very comfortable as well

JMHO

G

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

I have a number of Zulu/NATO straps that have come with various watches (kits) and have never entertained or had the desire to put one on a watch. Granted, I like bracelets 9 out of 10 times.
I think they look "wrong" on most watches and, well, cheap.
Is it the "James Bond" association that makes them desirable?
Not sure....

So if you're a fan please share your point of view on the popular straps.

CJ

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

i like 'em, CJ. they're very light & comfortable and fit under jackets/shirt sleeves nicely. they dry fairly quickly and when traveling, take up no space. they also don't clunk on the winder like a bracelet does :lol

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Uhhhhhhh.....ummmmmmm....hummmmmmm....aaaaaaaaa......

Zulu straps......

Uhhh...never figured out what ya needed to hold 'em onto your watch....certainly not them little pins that you use for a leather strap. Well...they never interested me in the least bit.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

And this is why we ask the questions...great pics and I really like the way you coordinated the colors.
The Orange Seiko looks really good! Thanks for sharing.

CJ

four20 wrote:
i like 'em, CJ. they're very light & comfortable and fit under jackets/shirt sleeves nicely. they dry fairly quickly and when traveling, take up no space. they also don't clunk on the winder like a bracelet does :lol

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

I really like the orange on the Monster and would like to get one for mine at some point. I think these are like anything else....personal preference. If you like 'em wear 'em. On the right watch they can look great.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Sooooo...again I ask....how the heck do you hold them on your watch.....certainly not with the little pins you use to keep your leather strap held on....or is that what you use?????

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

Bichondaddy wrote:
Sooooo...again I ask....how the heck do you hold them on your watch.....certainly not with the little pins you use to keep your leather strap held on....or is that you use?????
You can buy heavy duty pins but for most watches you don't need anything more then the regular pins. Just an over under thing and they work fine.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
imported post

I've got one on my orange monster. It is very comfortable, cheap and lightweight. If something happens to it, it's $15 to replace it rather than $45 to replace the monster bracelet. One other advantage is if a spring bar breaks and you're wearing a leather or rubber strap or a bracelet, you just lost your watch if you didn't notice it, but if a spring bar breaks and you're wearing a nato or zulu, the case will still be held on by the other spring bar.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts