Watch Freeks banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trusty old Oceanaire gave up on me a few months ago while I was wearing it kayaking... I looked at it, the time was way off, the seconds hand was still and when I shook it, the time advanced in large increments.:eek: So I sent it to the U.S. authorized Zodiac repair center "Metro Watch Co." only to get it back a month later with a note saying they do not have the parts to repair it! :confused:WTF?

Am I to understand that this is a "throwaway watch?" :( The Oceanaire is still produced as far I as I know but I believe they're using an in-house movement now. I'm guessing the Claro Semag CL888 is no longer available? I would have paid to replace the movement...

I'm going to take it to my local watchmaker but I'm not optimistic...

·
Banned
754 Posts
That watch is really awesome. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

If you're on Facebook, Search for Rick Hoover and also search for Current Time Watch Works. That should be a piece of cake for him. He'll work on any Quartz and mechanical engines including the Rolex's and Omegas. You can see a lot of his work on CTWW page.

Reactions: BigTime738

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,679 Posts
That is something BigTime. :(Wow, how can they not have the parts there?! That is weird, and like Marc pointed out, the movement is still made. :) Would think you will definitely be able to replace this movement. Hopefully though your local watchmaker can just fix the one that's in the watch there. ..That would be great !

Let us know how it goes if you can, and good luck !

·
Registered
867 Posts
Years ago when i did some stuff with Edouard Lauzieres they actually did produce some watches with the ETA 2824 then switched to the Claro. So I am wondering if you could swap yours to an ETA 2824?

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Years ago when i did some stuff with Edouard Lauzieres they actually did produce some watches with the ETA 2824 then switched to the Claro. So I am wondering if you could swap yours to an ETA 2824?
Rough sweeping Claro' for sure... Kept great time til it broke. I'm going to see if my watchmaker can swap it out for a 2824... I've had 3 different variations of this watch and the one that broke is my original orange dial one about 8 years old now and never serviced... Will report later!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts