Watch Freeks banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first Zenith, I want a chronograph and am opting for the chronomaster instead of the usual, Rolex, Omega, IWC and Breitling offerings.

I've seen a discontinued 42mm 400B version on a leather strap for around half the price of the latest 38mm 3600 on a bracelet. Waiting to hear back from the dealer with age of older varient as its possibly either old stock, display piece or returned unwanted but is in very good condition whatever its age. Subs overlap more than the new one and date is at 6 which I think all the 42mm 400B movements are and the darker black sub is a lighter shade. The old model has the star logo on end of the sweep second whcih has no been dropped. Beat rate remains at 3600 but other than the obvious 10th second measurent and that the watch is more true to the original I'm cant decide if its really worth the premium.

Appreciate any view from you guys.

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
Welcome aboard Reefman ! (y)

There are a few members here who are Zenith fans, and might be able
to really help you out in a direction to go. But even though I don’t hsve
any first hand experience with Zenith, or the Chronomaster, I’m going
to say go with your heart, and go for it. 🙂 It’s east to see from all you
had to say above that you like this watch, and it honestly sounds like it
is destined for your wrist.

Hopefully the dealer gets back to you soon. But no matter what they
say, it sounds like exciting times there for you. ..I mean you are about
to pick up your first Zenith ! 😀

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you - its certainly exciting and I appreciate what your saying - I really like both and will hopefuIflly get the chance to try the newer model on the wrist next week and hopefully get word back from the other dealer. If the new one wasnt out I'd be more than happy with the old one, but that it is I'd have the niggle that I could have had the more recent version which is more true to the original el primero. Doubt there'll be any discounts on the new one, and not sure what the likelihood of a discount on a Zenith comparer to other brnads. Then again a saving on the old one would be a nice sum to put into my next watch . Here they are as a comparison older one on top
Watch Analog watch Clock Wrist Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
You are very welcome. 🙂

Thank YOU for the comparison pictures also by the way ! 😮😎

I can see why it's such a tough decision. Because both of them
are gorgeous, not to mention stand out in the crowd too. ..It's just
a matter of what ends up floating your boat more in the end. On
the one hand, the newest version seems to really grab you. But as
you said, you may not be able to get any kind of discount right now.
So the older model comes into focus.

Either way you definitely cannot lose. But I hope no matter which
you choose, that you are able to take your time, and can really enjoy
everything surrounding the search.

It's not every day that you get to look at or get to pick up your first
Zenith. 😉

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah its tough both are really nice. I've just had it pointed out to me that there maybe be some issues with the newer 3600 movement that are coming to light following its release though i'm not sure how big they are.

...'the caliber 3600 has had myriad issues, particularly in relation to the tension of the chronograph clutch mechanism'

on the other hand

...'No one is certain. Zenith have not made a statement about it at all. Someone here claimed they have identified the issue, but no one has presented any evidence to support that idea'

Though it does surprise me that a brand like Zenith would release a movement withought significant testing

Guess the only certianity is that the 400 is a proven movement that been around and improved for about 50 years

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone put a date on the top one? I've seen a few but the subs seem to generally have the right hand register to the front no the centre as in this one and similary have red on the sub hands and lack the star logo on the red sweep - dont know if any of that helps date it. I was going to contact Zenith as I have gor the serial number but not at £130 !!

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
That would definitely make the decision easier if there was an issue
with the newer movement Reefman. 😮 Although it does seem near
impossible that Zenith wouldn’t have double, triple, and quadruple
tested every aspect of one of their movements. ..Maybe it was just
an isolated incident here, or there, and is nothing to worry about. But
nevertheless, it does put doubt into your head right?! And as you
said, on the other side of the coin, there really is no doubt at all
about the caliber 400. 😉

Hey, but maybe there actually is nothing wrong with the 3600. ..And
maybe Zenith will shed some light on all of the talk about it, and that
will put your mind at ease. (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, its been confirmed as 2018 , so decided on taking another look, a closer look with my glasses this time. Still nothing to see that was a caise for concern on the case or glass other than the watches beauty. I must admit I wasn't sure wherther it was the silver or white dial as it looked white on my photo, no deal breaker but preferred the silver. However once I'd seen it again (it is the silver one) and had it on my wrist , I knew it was right, Having managed to negotiatie a bit more discount I'm now he proud owner of a beautiful El Primero.

Thanks guys for all your considered and helpful comments.

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
You got it, it’s just nice that we could help out a bit. 🙂

It has to be incredible actually having one of these on your wrist,
as well as in your collection like this. 😎😀 I can imagine you are
on cloud 9 there today. ..Want to wish you a BIG congrats Reefman !!!

Enjoy that one !

And by the way, don’t be a stranger. (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha yes, its a while since I've had a new watch even though I've been looking for some time so there's been a lot of thought and difficult decisions in deciding on brand - you just know whats right. Needless to say its going to get a lot of wear in the coming moths, I know I'm biased but the pictures just don't do it justice.

Definitely won't be a stranger now I know you guys are here, I'll see if I can find somewhere to share my modest collection on here.

going to enjoy this one before turning my attention to my next, I've gor a bit in the kitty with the saving on going for this piece over the newer one, though that wasn't the driving force in my decision but the history of the 400 movement certainly was.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
Very nice Reefman, and honestly a watch like that is a collection on to itself. 😀
There's no doubt that at the end of the day, all of your thought, as well as hard
work definitely paid off. ..Incredibly well ! 🏆😎

I hope you really enjoy it, and it ignites your passion for the hobby even more. 😉
Oh, and yes, stop in whenever you like, and post up whatever you like. From
watches, to something that interests you, and everything else in between.

ENJOY !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts