Watch Freeks banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Watch Freek
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are plenty of awesome watches on the market today, however, every now and then we run into either a lemon or a poorly built watch. Not trying to start a war or hurts anyone's feelings; I know many folks are attached to one brand or another. But, every now and then the quality control supervisor of some watch manufacturer goes on on a lunch break, and those one or two "unspervised" watches end up on our wrists.

I'll start. The following is my list of watches which were less than stellar;

- Seiko SKX007J. Yes, the granddaddy of "tough" watches turned out to be a total dud. It runs all over the place (+10/-40 seconds per day). It's not magnatized, I regulated to +3/-5 per day; that only lasted around a week. It's now in a drawer filled with my other "unreliables"

2. Tauchmeister. I fell for the marketing hype and purchased a pair of these. The second hand fell off of one of them. The other was supposed to come with saphire crystal; not even close! I tried contacting their costomer service, but they way less than friendly.

Pulsar Solar Chrono. The second hand fell off. I wore this watch twice; it has been stored gently in a controlled environment.

These are just 3 of my worst watches; trust me I have several more! Also, I am very careful with my watches.

So what are your worst watches?

·
Super Moderator
1,481 Posts
Worst? Probably none..

The one I like the least is a chinese copy of an ETA 6497. When winding it, it feels like the movement is full of sand.. Just rough / unfinished parts... It keeps good time though.

Other than that, it's got to be the Orient Mako XL. It's enourmous, very heavy, yet the movement feels flimsy when changing the time and the crown is so tiny compared to the watch.

·
Watch Freek
1,154 Posts
The only one that comes to mind was a Cronos turtle with a PT5000 movement. The PT5000 is an absolutely fantastic movement if lubricated correctly, but I bought one that wasn't. Cronos were less than helpful, so I ended up sorting it myself. I had to remove the self winding mechanism and lubricate the reverse wheel stem. It wasn't a job for the fainthearted, but it worked. What I learned was to never buy a Cronos watch again.

·
Watch Freek
1,154 Posts
Worst? Probably none..

The one I like the least is a chinese copy of an ETA 6497. When winding it, it feels like the movement is full of sand.. Just rough / unfinished parts... It keeps good time though.

Other than that, it's got to be the Orient Mako XL. It's enourmous, very heavy, yet the movement feels flimsy when changing the time and the crown is so tiny compared to the watch.
I own a Certina with a genuine ETA2824 movement, and that feels exactly the same

·
Long Time Member
613 Posts
I was extremely disappointed with three watches over the years.

First was the Mido Multifort with internal bezel. It was just a poorly designed and built watch. Loose parts.

The other was the Alpina Seastrong. The bezel action was of the poorest quality I’ve seen. Very sloppy.

The third was the Glycine Aquarius diver. The case finishing was just OK, and the bezel action was extremely sloppy and terrible. I don’t see them anymore, so I guess they’re gone. They were one of the very last Glycines to come out leading up to the Invicta takeover.

·
Super Moderator
15,617 Posts
I am being 100% honest when I say I can't think of one snegron.😊(y)

It sounds crazy I know, however, there isn't one that comes to mind,
and I'm going back as far as I can remember too. To my very first
watches like Mickey Mouse watches, to old Casios, a Timex I found
on the side of the road when I was a kid, the original Swatches, and
everything after that all the way up to today. :) What's odd too, is
that I never have really spent much money on the watches I have.
From regular Seikos, or Seiko 5's to extremel affordable vintage
watches as of late, I always like the watches.

I know it sounds weird, but I'm being truthful. And I'm telling the
truth when I say that this topic is terrific ! ..Thanks a bunch for
coming up with it !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts