Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

What is the most memorable TV moment in your life?

1. 911 (sitting in hotel room in Phoenix on business getting ready to go down to a breakfast meeting).
2. OJ verdict
3. Tiananmen Sqaure Tank stand off....(wow)
4. The start of the Desert Storm
5. I did not have sexual relations with that women.....
6. 1988 World Series, Kirk Gibson home run.
7. 1980 Olympic Hockey Team beats Russia
8. Space Shuttle Disaster(s)
9. 1999 US Women's World Cup victory
10. Seattle Seahwaks one and only Superbowl appearance (lost).


CJ

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,619 Posts
imported post

It would prolly be 911...That was the most surreal experience of my life so far...I knew what I had seen but, I literally could not process it...I remember taking off on a dead run up to the barn & bursting into Cowboy's office, I think I cleared that room in 3 seconds flat after exclaiming 2 jets had flown into the Towers & bursting into tears...Nothing in my life had ever come close to the horror of that day & the days that followed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,243 Posts
imported post

911 has to be on the top of the list as it changed our lives in so many ways. I think is goes beyond just a TV moment and should be on any list about things that changed our lives in the last 10 years. I'd have to think about what I would list as the remaining 9. I'll get back to you on those. Happy New Year.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

  1. 9-11 - I was opening up my restaurant in Raleigh, NC after moving a few years before FROM NYC. I had many friends who worked in the financial district including my then X-wife. I heard what was happening on the radio and then turned on all the TVs in the restaurant/bar.
  2. UCONN wins 1999 NCAA championship
  3. UCONN wins 2004 NCAA championship
  4. 8/31/97 Lady Diana was killed - now I have to admit that did not care about this at all BUT I CAN CLEARLY remember watching TV that entire day on that holiday day when she was killed with my then girlfriend. My then girlfriend was distraught and glued to the TV.
  5. 10/3/95 - OJ Verdict. I was running the World Gyms of NYC at the time and was at our Queens, NY location. I can clearly remember all of the members there crowding into the cardio area to watch the 10 TV's that were all showing the announcement of the verdict. People reacted loudly and we had to regain control - in a health club, lol
  6. 8/2/90 - The first night/day of the Gulf War - I can clearly remember watching Wolf Blitzer for what seemed like 2 days straight. We loved Wolf.
  7. 11/21/2004 Ron Artest Fight in the stands - seems silly, but I can remember watching TV all day long when this idiot went into the stands to fight the fans.
  8. 1/24/82 - San Fran vs Cinn in the Super Bowl. I was a young young 49ers fan and I can remember watching the game with my family and how great it was.
  9. 11/20/83- Watching the movie The Day After. Again I can clearly remember watching this movie with everyone else and how scary it was then.
  10. 12/1983 - The Thriller video premiers on MTV. Our entire extended family would get together every December for the holidays. I can CLEARLY remember about 30 people cramming into a TV room to all watch it together. Was a big family moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
imported post

1) 9/11 -- what a messed up day . . . I drove over the Roosevelt bridge in and out of DC and watched the Pentagon on fire! Totally surreal!

My office was 4 blocks from the White House, and I've never seen such panic, city wide!

Part of my day was watching the NY events unfold, while another part of my day was trying not to become the latest terrorism victim!

2) Challenger Explosion . . . I still tear up! :(

3) OJ Verdict . . . I was on the U of Maryland, Baltimore County campus as it was read! I could not believe how much a single event could simultaneously rattle a whole campus!

4) 2005 -- Lance Armstrong wins his 7th Tour de France. This guy is my hero!

5) Super Bowl XIII (Win #3 for Steelers)

6) Super Bowl XIV (Win #4)

7) Super Bowl XL (Win #5)

8) Super Bowl XLIII (win #6)

9) Stanley Cup 2009

10) Lewis Hamilton wins the F1 Drivers Championship on the last corner of the last lap of the last race of the year! WOW! :BE



There are certainly many more (and certainly more important) events that have happened in my lifetime, but I didn't necessarily see them happening on TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
imported post

In no particular order...

1. 9/11
2. America beating the Russians in hockey..
3. Sting dropping from the ceiling the first time in the WCW...
4. OJ Trial and verdict
5. Elvis's death announcement...
6. The guy using his only life line on Millionaire calling and saying he didnt need his help but only calling to say he is about to win a $million...
7. Miami Vice every friday in the 80's
8. Seeing the FIRST episode of Sesame Street
9. Nixon Impeachment
10. Reagon shot
 

·
Long Time Member
Joined
·
8,308 Posts
imported post

Now I may be dating myself but.......

1. Neil Armstrong walking on the Moon.

2. Kennedy assasination.

3. 9-11

4. Start of desert storm.

5. Challenger explosion

6. Attempted Reagan assasination.

7. Tiananmen Square.

8. Berlin Wall coming down.

9. Cleveland Indians going to the World Series.

10. Lance Armstrong's 7th TDF.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

Isn't it amazing how when others start posting you realize how many big ones you have forgotten. I can't believe I forgot Reagan getting shot. That was a big one for me also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
imported post

My top TV moment was, hmmmm let me think, when James welcomed me here at Watchfreeks! :b!!!!

I am trying so hard to forget about the terror and suffering of 911, I know that terrible incident scared everybody who seen it. On a lighter side. The Bears winng the Super Bowl. The White Sox winning the World Series. The American hockey team defeating the Russian team for the gold medal, in the winter Olympics. The Cubs, oh forget that, still waiting. The Giants beating the Pats in the Superbowl. I told Theresa the Patriots are going to win big and fell asleep durring that game. Theresa woke me up with about five minutes left in the gams and said "you better check the score". Just a few that come to mind.

I remember all the sad stuff mentioned here in this thread. I just wanted mention that too'

A very intersting thread. ....Bob
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Good points Bob; yet sad and horrific as those moments were we will and should never forget.

I had no intention of impressing any sadness upon anyone, if that is the case I sincerely apologize.:)


CJ



Bob wrote:
My top TV moment was, hmmmm let me think, when James welcomed me here at Watchfreeks! :b!!!!

I am trying so hard to forget about the terror and suffering of 911, I know that terrible incident scared everybody who seen it. On a lighter side. The Bears winng the Super Bowl. The White Sox winning the World Series. The American hockey team defeating the Russian team for the gold medal, in the winter Olympics. The Cubs, oh forget that, still waiting. The Giants beating the Pats in the Superbowl. I told Theresa the Patriots are going to win big and fell asleep durring that game. Theresa woke me up with about five minutes left in the gams and said "you better check the score". Just a few that come to mind.

I remember all the sad stuff mentioned here in this thread. I just wanted mention that too'

A very intersting thread. ....Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
imported post

Seattle wrote:
Good points Bob; yet sad and horrific as those moments were we will and should never forget.

I had no intention of impressing any sadness upon anyone, if that is the case I sincerely apologize.:)


CJ



Bob wrote:
My top TV moment was, hmmmm let me think, when James welcomed me here at Watchfreeks! :b!!!!

I am trying so hard to forget about the terror and suffering of 911, I know that terrible incident scared everybody who seen it. On a lighter side. The Bears winng the Super Bowl. The White Sox winning the World Series. The American hockey team defeating the Russian team for the gold medal, in the winter Olympics. The Cubs, oh forget that, still waiting. The Giants beating the Pats in the Superbowl. I told Theresa the Patriots are going to win big and fell asleep durring that game. Theresa woke me up with about five minutes left in the gams and said "you better check the score". Just a few that come to mind.

I remember all the sad stuff mentioned here in this thread. I just wanted mention that too'

A very intersting thread. ....Bob
I agree 100% with you! You did not make me feel sad with this post. Over my 50 plus years, I seen to many painfull sadand unnecessary acts of violence. I remember every incident mentioned. I chose just to aknowledge them and try to mention the happier things. Keep your great post comming CJ, they are appreciated. ....Bob
 

·
Long Time Member
Joined
·
8,308 Posts
imported post

I also remember the Cuban Missle crisis in '62. I should have put this in there somewhere.

It was actually scarier than 9-11.



Emergency Broadcast System tests were constantly on TV.

Also heard a lot of sonic booms from high speed Air Force Planes flying around. My parents house still has a cracked window from then.

Even my Dad was scared and was never scared.

9-11 was bad but in '62 we thought it could ALL end at any moment.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,976 Posts
imported post

911 top of my list.....was sitting in an auto repair shop having some service done on my vehicle. Will never forget where I was ever. Any of the other mentioned are just as appropriate for the rest of my top 10 but I would have to put these 3 in there somewhere.....

1978 UK wins the NCAA basketball championship
1996 UK wins the NCAA basketball championship
1998 UK wins the NCAA basketball championship making it a total of 7 second all time only to UCLAs 12.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
imported post

toecutter wrote:
I also remember the Cuban Missle crisis in '62. I should have put this in there somewhere.

It was actually scarier than 9-11.



Emergency Broadcast System tests were constantly on TV.

Also heard a lot of sonic booms from high speed Air Force Planes flying around. My parents house still has a cracked window from then.

Even my Dad was scared and was never scared.

9-11 was bad but in '62 we thought it could ALL end at any moment.
Hi Toe, Iremember that too. I think that was the first time I truly felt scarred. Those three days had the nation on edge. What leadership, courage and braveryPresident Kennedy had in dealing with that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,730 Posts
imported post

1. One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.
2. 9-11, I was late for work that day.
3. Shuttle Disasters. I cringe everytime I hear "go with throttles up".
4. Tennessee beats Florida State in 1st BCS Championship.
5. 1985 Chicago Bears.
6. Chicago White Sox - World Series Champions.
7. Game 7, 2001 World Series, Diamondbacks v. Yankees.
8. Arizona Cardinals v. Philadelphia Eagles 2008 Conference Championship game.
9 & 10. Watching the news and seeing man and woman's inhumanity towards each other. To much stupidity and violence in this world.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

Anomaly wrote:
My daughter knows my lack of...interest...in JS and SHOPNBC, when I told her about this thread today she said, "oh, did you say MY TIME WITH JIM?"

I nearly wetmyself!
Now that is funny.

And Bob - that was a GREAT moment!!!! :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
imported post

Not a Big TV person so I will give the three that I remember watching.

1) TrailBlazer championship
2) The fall of Sadams Statue
3) Jenet Jackson Boobie during the 1/2 time show of the superbowl LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
imported post

911 for certain, would be the most memorable.

This year, I fell for the "Bubble-Boy" scam (embarrassed to admit) I was VERY concerned for the kid's life. I'm a sucker, I know.

The other "biggie" not previously-mentioned, would be the 2000 Election night coverage. I'm a "political-junkie" and I was GLUED to the TV set ALL NIGHT. Obviously we didn't KNOW for weeks, but having it called for BOTH GORE & BUSH on the same night was quite a trip. Gore almost conceded... He was actually in the hall to give the speech when he was convinced to stay in. Obviously politics is against TOS, but that was some night of television...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top