Watch Freeks banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

We all have watches. Some of you have many many watches.

I would like to hear about the special watches that hold sentimental value to you and why they have this special status.

These DO NOT have to be expensive watches and I hope people will post the reasons behind the special watches in their collection.

I will start.

1) My Reserve SAS was given to me by my wife. She paid for it with money she had secretly saved up for about 6 months. She did not know which watch she was going to get for me, but she knew she would see me be excited about one and then surprise me with it. That is exactly what she did.

2) For no reason at all 3 people have gifted me watches. Those 3 people are George (Watchurself) and Arnie (Arnie11) and one other anonymous person who sent a special watch for my new daughter. All of those watches are very special to me because they were given for no reason at all. They were not contests or because I did anything for these people - they were just given completely out of kindness. For that reason alone these watches are more valuable then any I have ever paid for.

What about you?

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

The two watches that I have won in recent months. Until those wins I don't recall ever winning a drawing or anything like that before so that makes them a bit more sentimental than the rest......

1. MM Mechanical Skeleton
2. Swiss Legend Commander

·
Registered
281 Posts
imported post

James, telling how your wife saved up for that and how you now have it is great!!!

These are a couple of mine. Kristie snapped this one up for me...no reason other than I had wanted it since the first time I saw it...and it was from Kristie. Will always be one of my favorites.

This one...another from Kristie. Just got it for me without my knowledge because as she said "Well I just love you"

And this one was from Duff (bodypeersur). Back when Kristie was very sick, he was a real support for me. He is also a nurse and helped me out by talking to me, always sending supportive messages and talking to me on the phone...you just cant ask for a better guy...he just sent this along because he is a nice guy.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Great topic, James!

For me, there are 3 watches . . .

1) SAIII 7750 -- This was my first Invicta watch over $300, and it has one of my favorite movements. I don't EVER see myself selling this watch. :) http://public.fotki.com/dustbuster4/invicta-saiii-7750/

2) Invicta Ocean Ghost II -- I won this watch from a giveaway held by Kristie (our own watchcollector1968's wife) over on WGs. It's the only watch I've ever "won". :) http://public.fotki.com/dustbuster4/invicta-ogii/

3) SAIII 7751 -- This watch sat on a winder for over 5 months before I decided to finally wear it for the first time. It's my one and only 7751, a movement that I would have expected to pay double what I did. It's a very special watch, which I made "Mine" by swapping on an all SS bracelet. :) http://public.fotki.com/dustbuster4/saiii-7751/

·
Registered
261 Posts
imported post

A little background here. Ever since I was a little kid, I loved watches. My father has also been a bit of a watch person his entire life - it's one of the things we've always had in common.

As a child of divorce, I lived with my mother in California and my father lived in Rhode Island. Every summer, my brother and I would spend a month or so back east and my father always had some kind of cool watch. When we would leave to come back home, he would often give me his watch - everything from a great old orange Seiko chronograph (man, I wish I still had that one!) to a Texas Instruments black plastic LCD watch (not much of a watch now - you can get better at the 99cent store, but at the time, the early 70s, it was really something special).

Well, now my dad isn't doing to well. A few weeks ago, I went back to R.I. to visit him (I fear for the last time) and before I left, he called me into his room. He wanted me to have this Skagen. It's not my style. It's smaller than what I wear. It's pretty scratched up. It's also probably my favorite watch that I will own for the rest of my life. No other will ever mean as much to me.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Awesome stuff everyone. Please keep them coming. I love reading stuff like this.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

I have a Invicta Titan I recieved as a gift from Arnie.

Not so good as I recieved a Super Avenger and a Rolex Daytona from the wifey as gifts and they are long gone!!! LOL

·
Registered
864 Posts
imported post

16613 U series Rolex Submariner, was a gift from my mentor and business partner for 17 years of valued service. Picked it up at the AD in Carmel Ca.on jan 29 1999!! Not worn much anymore but at one time was a daily wear watch for 4-5 years, will go to my 19 year old son one of these days and most likely the pawn shop not long after that!!:b

some of the goodies that come with a rolex..

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

Amen Jay! A great gesture from your Dad Bro and what I refer to as a "Forever Grail". If you'd like....... feel free to incorporate it into your repetoire as well. We'll keep your Dad in our thoughts and prayers Bro.

vbobdriveguy wrote:
A little background here. Ever since I was a little kid, I loved watches. My father has also been a bit of a watch person his entire life - it's one of the things we've always had in common.

As a child of divorce, I lived with my mother in California and my father lived in Rhode Island. Every summer, my brother and I would spend a month or so back east and my father always had some kind of cool watch. When we would leave to come back home, he would often give me his watch - everything from a great old orange Seiko chronograph (man, I wish I still had that one!) to a Texas Instruments black plastic LCD watch (not much of a watch now - you can get better at the 99cent store, but at the time, the early 70s, it was really something special).

Well, now my dad isn't doing to well. A few weeks ago, I went back to R.I. to visit him (I fear for the last time) and before I left, he called me into his room. He wanted me to have this Skagen. It's not my style. It's smaller than what I wear. It's pretty scratched up. It's also probably my favorite watch that I will own for the rest of my life. No other will ever mean as much to me.

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

Oh man. Good thread and evokes emotions too as I'm sure that it has for most of you. I have9 of what I refer to as "Forever Grails". Just so happened I posted one in "Watch your wearing today" here. I will list them for you as I do not have all pics taken.

1.A solid gold 60's Omega manual wind on bracelet. This time piece belonged to my father who passed away at age 75 in 1988. It was given to me by my mother who (like Jay's Dad) is very ill up in the Philly area. She gave this time piece to me as a wedding present when Linda & I got married.

2. I own a Bohlin western style time piece. Very cool, old school & unique. Linda bought this time piece for me in Santa Fe, New Mexico when we were living in Rio Rancho, NM. We purchased it for $350 and I was extremely reluctant because it was alot of money for us at the time. Shouldn'a turned my back. She had it before I knew it!! LOL!!

3. An Aeromatic 1912 mechanical wind. This time piece was the one that started my addiction. What's more, Lindaone it on a television auction while I was sleeping! Oh, if she only knew what that would lead to!! She would've "passed" for sure!!!!LOL!!!?? I was so fascinatied with the mechanical movement that I was totally hooked!! No kidding because I started buying watches like crazy! LOL?

4. This past summer, Linda & I were cleaning out some things in my mother's apartment (she could no longer live alone) and we found THREE "Forever Grails"!! One is a solid rose gold "stunner" from the "deco" period that belongs to my mother. It has diamonds and rubies on it, manual wind and a matching ring to go with it!! My Mom gave it to Linda!! I happen to have a pic of this set on file.

5. We also found two more "Forever Grails" in her apartment that belonged to my father. One is an old "beater" automatic from the 60's and an old pocket watch with no crystal on it. Both are in excellent working condition!

6. Coincidentally, the watch that I posted on "Wearing Today" is another "Forever Grail".It is a Moscow Classic / Russian Mechanical / ManualWind. It was given to me without my knowledge by Nathan Braatz aka "Braatzman"of WatchGeeks. Nathan is extremely ill with an undiagnosed seizure disorder that he has had for two years now. Some of you are already familiar with he and his story from WatchGeeks. His condition is declining, but there is hope. I could write a book on this fine young man, but I will just say that we have grown close. I do not accept gifts. I'd rather be "the giver", but in this case I would never disrespect this gesture and again, it's about the gesture!

7. My most recent "Forever Grail" is one that I just received on this past Wednesday. Matter of fact, it was after I came home from having lunch with James (TVDINNER & the owner of this forum...... Yes, The Man Himself! A good buddy and a great guy!!! ) Over on WatchGeeks.............. HorseTrack (Jeff) had a contest and I was the winner of it. Exactly how I won I'm not sure, but just the same........... I won (don't believe it was on my good looks either! LOL!). The prize?? An absolutely stunning Jacque Lemans time piece with a Valjoux 7750! Elegant and classy written all over it. One more time............. For me, it's about the gesture as well as the gift. When it comes from the heart, it's priceless!

I will try to post pics of the others as well. Thanks for reading/looking guys.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Very good thread! I have afew that I will not be getting rid of either but unfortunately I don't have pics of them. They are:

1) Bulova manual wind from the 40's that used to be my grandpas and I got it when he passed away. It's a small but beautiful gold tone case in a curved rectangular shape with gold hands and indices. Known as a "Curvex case".

2) Another watch that my grandpa had. It's another manual from Bulova and is from the 30's. It's a VERY unusal watch because Bulova made a small amount of them when they were trying to win a government contract for the military, which they lost to Gruen. There weren't many made and I have one so it's rare and special to me!

3) A solid gold Hamilton auto from the 60's that used to me my favorite aunt's (mother's sister). My cousins gave it to me when she died because they knew I collected watches and she had a number of watches that they were all splitting up anyway.

4) A beautiful NFW that was given to me from a member at WG because her Dad has been following our progress on the helicopter restoration and he was very happy that people were trying to save the military history pieces. She gave it to me as a token of her appreciation for giving her sick father something to be happy about.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

First off, excellent topic James. It doesn't surprise me that you thought this one up.
Secondly, there are some heartfelt stories here that are amazing. Arnie, all I can say is, when I grow up I wanna be like you! You are an awesome person my man and this forum is better for your membership here.
On with my watches: The red Venom was a replacement watch bought by the WG's to replace a watch that I never received in a trade deal gone wrong with a lower life form. One of the main influences in this gesture was our own RipitRon! He, along with a couple of other great people, delo149 and 50mmandup, led the charge for me and another WG member to get the watches that we were due to get in the "deal". That's why I was NOT surprised that Rip gifted the Scuba to Seattle last week. That's the kind of person that Rip is, although he would rather not have anyone know it! Sorry Big'n, I'm puttin' you on the spot! :)

The silver/black Venom was given to me by another WG member, out of his personal collection. He's another very generous dude and he continues to delve into his collection and give watches away.

These pieces will NEVER leave my collection...grail chasing or not.

I know what you're thinking Rip, let it go my man.

·
Registered
261 Posts
imported post

arnie11 wrote:
Amen Jay! A great gesture from your Dad Bro and what I refer to as a "Forever Grail". If you'd like....... feel free to incorporate it into your repetoire as well. We'll keep your Dad in our thoughts and prayers Bro.

Thanks Arnie. I will wear it at some point. For now, it sits on a stand in a prominent place.

My best to your Mom also.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Well...I have a couple.... First is the watch that got me started collecting...my grandpa's Gruen Automatic from the 1940's. He gave it to me a few days before he passed when I was only 8 years old. My mother has it in El Paso, as she likes having it one her dresser...just because it was her dads. She always tells me I can take it when I want it...but I know it's special to her also...so it lives in El Paso.

The second one I won't ever sell or giveaway...

The Lupah Two Tone Diver I won in the first Watch Freeks giveaway. Although Ihadn't started watching shopnbc like I do now...I happened to see them when they were first released. I love gold and blue two toned watches. Plus...CJ is just a really great guy...and the watch has become one of my favorites. Plus...my wife really likes the watch....she says it's very "Rolexy" looking. I enjoy it because it's just an awesome looking timepiece. Thanks again CJ!!!!

Then number three is the first watch I ever won...over on WG's from MetsKnicks....my only Ritmo Mundo. It's not the most expensive watch I own...but the fact that it was offered up by someone I like and respect...It'll always be in my collection!!! Plus...It has that Ritmo bling look to it...I always get compliments when I wear it! Thanks again buddy!!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
imported post

A 1948 Invicta and several older Hamiltons I have managed to acquire. Great topic.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

I hope there are some more stories to be told. I am looking forward to reading more...

·
Registered
23 Posts
imported post

This Seiko Kinetic - back when the whole idea was relatively new - was a present to me from the woman who I eventually married. I believe I received this in August 1994; astoundingly, this watch still runs long after the capacitor should have given out. I still really value this watch, just for sentimental reasons.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.