Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Okay, since most of use have been buying watches for quite some time, after you started to learn the differences between brands, quality, movements, what did you buy that broke every rule you set for yourself?I've bought some real stinkers this year.Why? those frigging deal of the day sites.:WW

but even knowing better, I bought this zeno folk art. yah, its rare, but crap.:%

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I can't top that beauty. LOL

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

I actually paid the $14 a few months back for the 3 mystery watches and the "roll" case they came in. I KNEW the watches would be crap. I KNEW the roll case would be crap. but for some COMPLETELY DUMB reason I still bought it.

And when everything came the watches were so bad I was embarrassed and the roll case smelled funny.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Dumbest purchse for me was I bought a pair of SWI Colosso's, knowing at $100.00 they where going to be crap!!! And of coarse they where all of that!!!

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I bought an Invicta SAS - knowing that it would be too big & heavy for me -but i've always loved that watch so i bought it - and then returned it

decided it was too expensive to have a box queen

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Oh BB, it hurts to look at them.........hey wait, I have a Diesel digital LOL!!!
My worst is a rosetone/silver SAS quartz. I bought it because it was the first time they were priced really low but deep deep down I knew I didn't want it. Traded it pretty quickly.

CJ

Budabear wrote:
I definitely got you beat! I like digital watches and I paid about $20 for his and hers coming out of HK.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

SAS. Like the watch originally....heard too much negativity surrounding it. Traded it. Got a couple decent watches for it but should have never bought it to begin with......I blame myself not the SAS.

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
I actually paid the $14 a few months back for the 3 mystery watches and the "roll" case they came in. I KNEW the watches would be crap. I KNEW the roll case would be crap. but for some COMPLETELY DUMB reason I still bought it.

And when everything came the watches were so bad I was embarrassed and the roll case smelled funny.
James, I purchased 5 sets. As you know, I sell watches on the weekend at the local flea markets. I get $25.00 each for the Walthams and anywhere between $20.00 and $30.00 for the other brands. I wish I had purchased more. They really sell good. I keep the roll cases for display. It is a win win for me!!! Carl

:c:c:c

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

I have two. SWI "fancy dancy" for "big bucks" about 4 years ago ($1,750) and my Lupah Sandstone. Love both pieces, but definately feel the sting from the prices I paid. No use cryin over "spilt milk", but just the same, it has taught me to be a more discriminating buyer.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

Tastes are so funny... I think the SAS is far and away my most impressive Invicta Quartz...

I'd say $429 for a G10 Renato Vulcan Diver was the worst buy lately, but I traded it for an Auto SANIII which I like, so I came out OK.

#2 would be the Anniversary Bolt, but thankfully it was the silver black, and it was the "most-desireable":lol(only sell out the first day) so I was able to trade it for a SL 1000M swiss auto diver kit w/ the big winder, so I came out ok there as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
imported post

My dumbest purchase was a number of yearsago, but from within the industry. The watch buyer for Target loved this new video game watch series for which I was a collaborator. She ordered 500,000 of them. So, that's what wew ordered from the factory. When it came time to ship, she changed her mind and decided she only needed 30,000. So, we were left with an extra 470,000 of these things, stacked to the ceilings. Yikes! We eventually sold them. Luckily, this was while I was at Timex!

:b

Another dumb purchase? Sapphires in Bangkok. Don't EVER do that!

:%

George

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

G.Fox wrote:
My dumbest purchase was a number of yearsago, but from within the industry. The watch buyer for Target loved this new video game watch series for which I was a collaborator. She ordered 500,000 of them. So, that's what wew ordered from the factory. When it came time to ship, she changed her mind and decided she only needed 30,000. So, we were left with an extra 470,000 of these things, stacked to the ceilings. Yikes! We eventually sold them. Luckily, this was while I was at Timex!

George
Sure George. You were in Bangkok buying SAPPHIRES.:lol

Yeah. Gotta remember that one...
:c:%:%:%

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Yeah...I was looking for a cheap beater...just to wear while hanging out at the house...working in the garage...you know. So I got one off ebay for like $15...and darn if it aint worth less than that!!!! When you pull the crown out...the hands become almost disengaged from the movement..and if you move the watch while the crown is out...the hands will almost spin for you. I do however have to say...push the crown back in and the hands stay in place...and it keeps really great time. Oh yeah...the "crystal" is plastic I think...like on a cheap digital watch.

The strap it came with is nice though...very hefty. Oh...my other stupid purchase...although I love the dial...my Swiss Legend President Automatic w/blue sandstone dial. It keeps terrible time( It can lose up to 20 minutes a day)....won't wind itself on a winder ( Luckily it will hand wind )...and just isn't what it should be. I am sending it back to SWI to have it repaired...so goodness knows how long I will be without it. Plus...the date doesn't advance when you are moving the hands to set the time. The list of problems with the movement in my watch are numerous. I imagine they will have to replace the movement all together...because it just doesn't work...and hasn't since day 1.

·
Super Freak
4,918 Posts
imported post

Seattle wrote:
Oh BB, it hurts to look at them.........hey wait, I have a Diesel digital LOL!!!
My worst is a rosetone/silver SAS quartz. I bought it because it was the first time they were priced really low but deep deep down I knew I didn't want it. Traded it pretty quickly.

CJ

Budabear wrote:
I definitely got you beat! I like digital watches and I paid about $20 for his and hers coming out of HK.

These watches have been great watches for the times when you don't even want to mess up your beater. :%:%:% I'm actually quite satisfied for the purchases. Probably wouldn't do it again but, like I said, they come in handy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
imported post

argabright wrote:
G.Fox wrote:

George
Sure George. You were in Bangkok buying SAPPHIRES.:lol

Yeah. Gotta remember that one...
:c:%:%:%
Oh, the sites you can see in Bangkok..... And, yes, I got involved in very bizarre purchase of sapphires. Even the monks were in on the scam. If we ever meet in person sometime I'll give you the full story! And also tell you about some of the other rather interesting "sights."

G

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

G.Fox wrote:

George
Being stuck with 470,000 EXTRA unsold items must have been VERY VERY SCARY. I can't imagine horrible that must have felt when she called and changed her order that much.

·
Registered
347 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
G.Fox wrote:

George
Being stuck with 470,000 EXTRA unsold items must have been VERY VERY SCARY. I can't imagine horrible that must have felt when she called and changed her order that much.
Yeah, that was pretty scary. We had to pull out all the stops and sell, sell, sell. But it would have been more scary if it was my own money on the line. Luckily, we had the big resources of Timex to back us up. When the dust settledwe weren't hurt too bad.... But it was definitely scary for a while!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.