Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...you ordered a winder yesterday, but are wearing two watches at the same time now to keep them wound till the 'help' arrives. Doh!

What do you do that 'normal' people don't?

Edit: ok, I'm a dense newb. How can you tell if your automatic watch will wind with the crown? My three recently acquired autos are in my sig. The Frederique Constant clearly feels like its winding. The Longines does not, and the Christopher Ward is in between. (???)
Curious Tom wants to know...

·
Super Moderator
894 Posts
It depends on the movement in each watch. Most of today's watches are hand-wound and automatic. The only watch I own that isn't is my Orient Mako XL, and it's running an older Seiko movement that offered no hand-winding.

one way to check is to let each one wind down completely, then gently pick it up and start winding it. If the second hand starts ticking, then it's a automatic with manual wind :)

The Christopher Ward is based on a Sellita SW220 (they add a moonphase module to it), the standard SW220 does offer hand-winding, so I would say it likely does.

The Longines is running an ETA movement. ETAs tend to feel "smoother" than Sellita movements, so it may be why it does not feel like it is winding.

The FC has an in-house movement, which I am not able to find much info on, but I'll venture it's hand-winding as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,939 Posts
Bravo tmoore, you definitely fit the definition, and that's a great thing !(y)(y)
Besides the things you are doing with your watches to keep them wound,
I think your excitement, as well as sense of humor is outstanding. 🥇🏆
You are at a place in enjoying the hobby that is just beginning, and it is
wonderful seeing, or actually hearing how much fun you are having. That
is so important, and hopefully something that never wanes in the many
many years to come. :D :)

P.S. Have also done the dueling watch thing. ..It's cool right?! 😊

Thanks so very much for the topic, as well as post !!!

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,772 Posts
When you lost count of how many watches you own, and find ones in the sock drawer!

·
Long Time Member
946 Posts
Just to name a few:

- Rewinding, pausing a show or film to get a better look at what is on the actor’s wrist.

- Scoff at those that say that they don’t wear a watch “cuz my phone has a clock”

- Almost always taking a glance at another person’s wrist - wherever: restaurants, events, work etc.

- You have spent hours and hours online “ just looking” at watches

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to name a few:

- Rewinding, pausing a show or film to get a better look at what is on the actor’s wrist.

- Scoff at those that say that they don’t wear a watch “cuz my phone has a clock”

- Almost always taking a glance at another person’s wrist - wherever: restaurants, events, work etc.

Good ones. I'd challenge anyone to claim they've spent more time 'just looking' at watches than I have the past month. Ha. Been looking at wrists a lot too. :oops::)

·
1,492 Posts
Just to name a few:

My wife always says it's kind of odd how I notice watches on strangers, but will hardly notice something she's changed around the house...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: mykkus and tmoore

·
Watch Freek
876 Posts
...you ordered a winder yesterday, but are wearing two watches at the same time now to keep them wound till the 'help' arrives. Doh!

What do you do that 'normal' people don't?

Edit: ok, I'm a dense newb. How can you tell if your automatic watch will wind with the crown? My three recently acquired autos are in my sig. The Frederique Constant clearly feels like its winding. The Longines does not, and the Christopher Ward is in between. (???)
Curious Tom wants to know...
If you own a timegrapher the amplitude will rise when wound. If you don't own one, you should

·
Registered
Orient and Seiko
71 Posts
When you lost count of how many watches you own, and find ones in the sock drawer!
No lie..buddy of mine is a guitar junky, he and his wife were clearing out the guest bedroom closet and he found a forgotten american reissue strat he had bought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts