Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
imported post

Because I'm sort of an astronomy fan, the watch by Patek Philippe would be interesting but a bit expensive. Have to wait for a lottery hit.




Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon 1.3K

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
Let's see, I can get 2500 (twenty five hundred!!) $600 Invictas for the 1.5 million some of these cost, lol


You are joking I'm sure....that post has some iced out stuff that does nothing for me....but it also has some of the most amazing timepieces on the planet.

2500 x $600 Invictas, no thanks.

The VC, Blancpain or the Pateks....spectacular pieces that will only increase in value and be around for 100's of years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Donut wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
Let's see, I can get 2500 (twenty five hundred!!) $600 Invictas for the 1.5 million some of these cost, lol


You are joking I'm sure....that post has some iced out stuff that does nothing for me....but it also has some of the most amazing timepieces on the planet.

2500 x $600 Invictas, no thanks.

The VC, Blancpain or the Pateks....spectacular pieces that will only increase in value and be around for 100's of years.
This is a 2 year old thread. Yes I was somewhat joking. My point was that I would probably take other watches then some of the ones on that list that were very expensive and I found ugly with very high costs. My point was similar to yours, just used Invicta as an example. I was still buying some of their watches back then. My buying tastes have changed in the 2 years (like no more Invictas) and my tastes have evolved to different styles and brands.

Today my response would be something like this -

"Let's see, I can get 750 - 1500 (seven hundred and fifty to fifteen hundred) watches that cost between $1000-$2000 and I really like for the 1.5 million some of these cost"

For me personally I can now appreciate what makes some of those watches have the higher price tags with what is in them, but still can not justify the price tags personally. Again this is my personal opinion. I have said many many times that even if I won the $200 million dollar lottery today, I still would not purchase any watches over $5-10K. I just dont like the looks of many of the high high cost watches based solely on the look, or size, etc. I do like many models from Hamilton, Glycine, Breitling, Omega, and Panerai that fall into the 500-10,000 price range. Most of my PERSONAL tastes are still falling in the $500 - $5000 range watches and models.

Of course all of this is fantasy and I have not won the lottery, lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
imported post

Well I can agree with not being able to justify the price tags, mainly because I cannot meet the price tags...but if I won $200 million dollar lottery, I would have one or two from that list. As a disclaimer, in Canada when you win a $200M lottery you get it all, in one check, tax free. (you've already paid taxes on the dollar or five that you bought your ticket with)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Donut wrote:
Well I can agree with not being able to justify the price tags, mainly because I cannot meet the price tags...but if I won $200 million dollar lottery, I would have one or two from that list. As a disclaimer, in Canada when you win a $200M lottery you get it all, in one check, tax free. (you've already paid taxes on the dollar or five that you bought your ticket with)
I hope you win my friend. I hope we both win, lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
imported post

As soon as I win powerball. Actually, nah I wouldn't ever spend that much money on a watch....at least not yet.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,876 Posts
imported post

If I won Powerball...I still wouldn't drop $1.5 million on a single watch....maybe $20K or more onHublot !!!! :b:b:b:b:b:b

In Rose Gold ( real rose gold...of course!!! )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
imported post

Bichondaddy wrote:
If I won Powerball...I still wouldn't drop $1.5 million on a single watch




Well If I had $200 M dropped on me, I would Quickly have...

















I would skip the Platinum Patek World Timer since I already have it in White Gold...










That would be a quick 14.6 M I wouldn't have to worry about.....and my smile would be permanently pressed on my face.I thought this forum was for people who appreciated Haute Horlogerie ? I can'tbe alone here, am I ?




Cheers,

Rob

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Donut wrote:
I thought this forum was for people who appreciated Haute Horlogerie ? I can'tbe alone here, am I ?
Cheers,
Rob
I did not know the price tag had to be 6-7 figures (or higher) for one to enjoy and "appreciate" watches, how watches are made, the history of watches, etc??

I said I would personally purchase watches like Omega, Breitling, Panerai in the $1000 - $10,000 range. Bichondaddy said he would pick up a $20,000 Hubolt. Are those not good enough watches? I personally would never buy a PP, even if I had the money. Nothing against the brand, just not my taste, or size I like, or whatever. I understand what goes into them from reading your posts and many others online, just not for me.

One thing this forum most definitely is not (and never will be) is one that only accepts ridiculously high end watches that only .00000000000000000000001% of the population can or will ever afford, as encompassing the "watch industry". If anything those ultra expensive watches are a tiny tiny tiny tiny percentage of the watch world as a whole and are only seen in high end press releases or glossy ads. They do not represent 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the people visiting watch forums each day and participating. Sure people can appreciate them, but don't have to like them or even want to buy them to appreciate the watch world.

I would say there are many many members on this forum and others that completely appreciate some of the higher higher end watches, but realistically cant afford them or know they will never be able to afford them (myself included) or just simply don't find them desirable . So they discuss, purchase, ..... and dream in their realistic price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
I did not know the price tag had to be 6-7 figures (or higher) for one to enjoy and "appreciate" watches, how watches are made, the history of watches, etc??



My point was not about the watches that you do like, not in the least. My point was more about the lack of appreciation for the pieces in this post that people wouldn't consider, even if they won an imaginary 200M Lottery. Watches, that in my opinion, stretch the art to the very Nth degree. These are all dream pieces to be sure...but someone threw in an imaginary lottery win, and I was just playing along...it would have to be imaginary for me because I don't buy tickets....(to me that is a waste of good money, but to each their own).



Also these watches aren't only in ads, I've seen several of the watches in this post in the metal. My appologies to anyone I have offended, it certainly was not my intent. I like 500 and 1000 dollar watches....I also really appreciate the watches that I've pointed out....and I would pick that Vacheron Constantin over 2500 - 2K Invictas...but I guess that's just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
imported post

Rob,

My first watch would be the JLC gyrotourbillon, then a patek min repeater, a nice VC overseas and the Lange Zeitwerk. After those I am not sure.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
24,243 Posts
imported post

I don't know if I could ever spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a watch. It may not be in my nature. There are things that I can afford now and refuse to buy. I'm not cheap but I'm also not flashy or extravagant.

I'd love to win the lottery to find out if my nature changes --- LOL. Having started with $100 watches and now comfortable at $1000 my dream watches are at $5-10K at this time.

I appreciate the ultra-fine timepieces that we are talking about for the works of craftsmanship and art that they are. I also don't own a Rembrandt or a Picasso, but I can appreciate them for the art that they are without owning them.

My guess is the $200 million dollar lottery would not change my opinion. I think I would buy several Breitling's, Panerai's and a few others in that class and be very, very happy. I guess I may never know! LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,341 Posts
imported post

Donut wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
I did not know the price tag had to be 6-7 figures (or higher) for one to enjoy and "appreciate" watches, how watches are made, the history of watches, etc??



My point was not about the watches that you do like, not in the least. My point was more about the lack of appreciation for the pieces in this post that people wouldn't consider, even if they won an imaginary 200M Lottery. Watches, that in my opinion, stretch the art to the very Nth degree. These are all dream pieces to be sure...but someone threw in an imaginary lottery win, and I was just playing along...it would have to be imaginary for me because I don't buy tickets....(to me that is a waste of good money, but to each their own).



Also these watches aren't only in ads, I've seen several of the watches in this post in the metal. My appologies to anyone I have offended, it certainly was not my intent. I like 500 and 1000 dollar watches....I also really appreciate the watches that I've pointed out....and I would pick that Vacheron Constantin over 2500 - 2K Invictas...but I guess that's just me.
Rob, I understand what goes into some of these pieces , and understand there is a market for everything and for everyone in a different price bracket. But, I personally dont find alot of those watches attractive, so from my perspective, I dont really appreciate them, because I dont like them, not matter the price.

Everyone likes different things. Dont know how much I would ever spend on a watch. Depends how much money I have I guess. Do I ever see myself spend 1.5 mil on a watch...even if I came into alot of money..nope , prob not....just too much for me personally. Not that I wouldnt buy a bunch of high end watches, but I myself cant see spending that kind of coin on a watch, no matter how much I liked it....but that is me.



I do agree with you though, I would rather have a bunch of high end watches over Invictas anyday...LOL...I think James was just making an analogy and used them just to show an example.

Certain people all spend differently, all like different things, and all have different priorities. I am sure you probably wouldnt like alot of the watches I like, or things that I like, or couldnt see or appreciate them, but thats what makes the world go round. Watch collecting is a great hobby, because there are so many different brands and types out there and so many different ways to enjoy this hobby for everyone.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote
I would say there are many many members on this forum and others that completely appreciate some of the higher higher end watches, but realistically cant afford them or know they will never be able to afford them (myself included) or just simply don't find them desirable . So they discuss, purchase, ..... and dream in their realistic price range.
Well said!!
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top