25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Back in NYC - big game. Who's watching?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

I'm all over it James! My DVR let me down in GM 6 and only recorded into the 6TH. I had to take Big Joe back to the airport and missed the game. WOW!! That was a blast!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

big big game tonight. Good to see some people watching it and posting.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

I don't know how Matsui does it. He's a good hitter and with the way he bails and opens up on pitches, he should never be as successful as he is! It goes to show just how good he really is. His approach is terrible! I would never teach one of my players to hit that way. A-Rod on the other hand is about as close to perfect approach as you can get!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

he used to kill them overseas also. he was "Godzilla" there, and that is when he was younger and even faster. I think we take for granted how fast guys like Damon (also a strange hitting stance) and Matsui TURN on the ball. Their bat speed and hand eye coordination is amazing.

you are 100% correct about ARod -that is almost textbook perfect stance, swing, but especially his body movement through the swing is incredible. He shifts his weight so quickly it is amazing. Super strong legs help.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

You nailed it on all accounts James. It's nice talking baseball with someone who knows what the hell is going on!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Look at Ichiro.....some of those boys can just flat out do it with crazy swings.

TUNAKLLR wrote:
I don't know how Matsui does it. He's a good hitter and with the way he bails and opens up on pitches, he should never be as successful as he is! It goes to show just how good he really is. His approach is terrible! I would never teach one of my players to hit that way. A-Rod on the other hand is about as close to perfect approach as you can get!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I played for many many years....many many years ago, lol

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

UKWolfeman wrote:
Look at Ichiro.....some of those boys can just flat out do it with crazy swings.

TUNAKLLR wrote:
Ichiro is the PERFECT example, and guys like Boggs before him. Their bat speed is so fast through the strike zone that they can "slap" the ball all over the field. They are not stuck hitting to predominently one side of the park like many players. they can use the entire field so hard to over shift on them.

i remember seeing a great documentary on Boggs when he was leading the league in hits and average just about every year and he said point blank that he could SEE the ball spinning as it came at him over 90 miles an hour. Imagine what an advantage having that type of vision is. And then the bat speed and it is deadly. That is just amazing natural talent which sets him (and guys like him) apart from average players.

They say Ichiro is the same and based on his amazing number it obviously is the same for him.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

I liked Boggs as a player, but I would argue that he didn't have the best bat speed. He hit everything everything the other way. I know it was by design, but he didn't turn on a lot of fastballs because he chose not to. The one season that he hit, I believe, close to 30 jacks was the only time that he did show some bat speed. Opposite field hitters don't necessarily need a lot of bat speed.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Boggs was just amazing in his day and a lot of his earlier years get forgotten because he went to the Yanks later in his careeer and played 18 long seasons.

He had 3010 hits and a career average of 328!!!!! But early in his career he had a string of seasons that might never again be duplicated. He hit 349, 361, 325, 368, 357, 363, 366, 330 over his first 7 YEARS in the majors. Amazing numbers. The 368 year he had 240 hits. Wow.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

srebo70 wrote:
Pedro is NOT looking good tonight!
only hitting about 80-85 on the gun. he seems to be tired, but the Yanks are staying in the counts till late and driving up his pitch count - almost 60 pitches in the 3rd!!!

ARod just struck out with bases loaded. Mr October/November my butt!!!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

Yeah, Boggs was one of the best. That's why he was so successful. When you go to the off field most of the time, you're less susceptible to K's which means your average tends to be higher.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

GODZILLA!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Fun fun I just checked Ichiro's stats - Better/comparable then Boggs which is awesome.
Ichiro - lifetime average of 333. First 9 seasons in MLB he hits 350, 321, 312, 372, 202, 322, 351, 310, 352
More amazing is the 2030 hits in 9 years. Incredible. If he played his full career here he would end up far and away the all time hit leader.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

Those are amazing numbers. That's incredible that he would surpass 4256 had he been here all of his career!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts