Watch Freeks banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be a post of shame :D Just yesterday I commented on forgotten brands jumping on the 'vintage' watch bandwagon. But truth is, about a month ago I pledged in a Kickstarter project to bring back a watch from such a forgotten brand, namely French manufacturer Wolbrook and its sister brand Douglas. And it gets even worse :D Some time ago an original Douglas Skindiver Worldtimer was sold during an auction for an undisclosed amount. This watch was put up for sale by Neil Amstrong's brother and the claim is Neil wore that watch in his personal (pre-moon landing) life and during test flights.

So these are three 'mistakes' in a row: fall into the resurrected, forgotten brand trap, buy into the 'pedigree tale' and yet again go with a Kickstarter project (which I vowed not to do any more). The original watch cost US$ 19.95 and was sold in a container filled with water to attest to its 'waterproofness' :D I paid 279 Euro and I will receive the watch in July next. WR is 100 meters, my version comes with a Hesalite crystal with magnifier on the inside and 'roulette' date wheel with alternating black and red printed date numbers.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This one really has a Russian look to me. I see the original could even be worn in the shower! Not to stir up heat and soap arguments around here.:D

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one really has a Russian look to me. I see the original could even be worn in the shower! Not to stir up heat and soap arguments around here.:D
Is it because of the hands?

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never seen a date magnifier on the inside of a crystal.

I'm curious how it looks. I dislike a 'Cyclops' on a crystal but could stomach one that's on the inside. Barely :D

·
Super Moderator
8,933 Posts
Nothing to be ashamed of there Frans ! :smile1:

It has that classic style down perfectly, and gives you that whole
'waterproofness' charm also. :clap2: Love just the shape of the case,
and look of the black dial, and bezel with the eye-catching markings,
numbers, and names. Not to mention hands, and that crystal. Yowza,
they did an astounding job !

Didn't even know about these, or their return on Kickstarter sir !
Thank you so much for the news, and big congratulations way
ahead of time there !!!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The new reissue of the Bulova "Devil Diver 666" has a magnifier that is flush to the crystal. I like this one Frans: it's different & has some very interesting detail to it. BTW, it's a watch collectors perogative to change their mind!

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That reminds me of Gunnery Sergeant Tom Highway's shower remarks :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts