Watch Freeks banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/28/9055065/windows-10-pre-download-windows-7-windows-8-pcs

In less than 24 hours, Microsoft will start upgrading Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines to Windows 10. The software giant is preparing for this big release, at 12AM ET on July 29th (9PM PST on July 28th), by pre-loading the final version of Windows 10 on PCs eligible for the upgrade. A number of Windows 7 and Windows 8 users who have registered for the upgrade have started noticing that the full installer files for Windows 10 have been downloaded to C:\$windows.~BT as Microsoft gets ready for release.

Microsoft will unlock and activate the Windows 10 install at midnight tonight, allowing some Windows 7 and Windows 8 users to upgrade. Not everyone will get access to the Windows 10 upgrade initially, though. Microsoft is rolling the upgrade out gradually to compatible systems, and the company is creating a queue to distribute the update in waves. Windows 10 testers have already been testing the final bits and they will be the first to receive a Day One patch that Microsoft is developing. The software maker has also been rolling out daily hotfixes to existing testers, fixing issues just days and hours before the final release.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Upgraded the desktop pc from Windows 7 yesterday, my only Windows device. Basically, I'm giving Microsoft one last chance to prove that this isn't just another case of putting lipstick on a dinosaur.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Tried to upgrade the Windows 8 partition on my dual boot Linux box but don't have enough memory! Fail! I really want to check out Windows 10. I use 7 at work, 8 on my work phone, and 8 occasionally on the home PC. I much prefer Linux. However, as Chuck put it so elegantly, I'm curious if Microsoft just isn't " isn't just another case of putting lipstick on a dinosaur."

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Where IS Waldo (and 9) ???

I have an old machine and while it could probably handle 10 I think I will wait until I get something new and can read some reviews on the OS overall.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Bit the bullet and installed it on my secondary computer today. So far so good, everything seems to work as before. Going to stay with 7 on my main system but I see nothing to dislike with 10. Also have 8.1 on my phone and 10 on the desktop seems to work a lot like 8.1 does on my phone. Really the main reason I installed 10 so as to sync the 2 up. Good riddance to 8.1 on the desktop.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Downloaded 10 onto my laptop the first day they released it, so far so good with no issues. Still have 7 on the desktop, didn't get the download yet and I'm in no rush to upgrade it yet because 7 has been great. I have 8.1 on my cellphone, no upgrade available yet so I have to wait and see on that one.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I downloaded 10 to my 7 machine,all went well but I went back to 7 two days later. I had no real problems with 10 other than a few issues with graphics but they were minor. I just prefer Windows 7..:smile-thumb2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I upgraded from 7 a few days ago. I personally love the changes and everything is running faster. Finally something done right!

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I set my desktop up in the beginning of the week, had 7, not bad so far. Still tweaking it to get it to feel like a desktop. Here's some links I read before install.

http://bgr.com/2015/08/03/windows-10-security-disable-wifi-sense/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

And if you miss 7 and/or 8's games, check this out. It works on 10. I didn't like the games, at all in 10, so I put 7's back on and did 8 too.
Below the vid he has links to the downloads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_DIZpGjhvE

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
All our home gear is Apple so I run OS X on a Mac. But I don't dislike Windows and use Parallels to run Windows 8.1 on my Mac. Up to now still no Windows 10 update message. I even tried to force the update but no luck. So I'll just wait or download the ISO image from Microsoft. I'm in no hurry because I'm not dependent on Windows at home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts