Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a SIM only subscription: 100 minutes, 1 GB data and unlimited text (SMS) messages for EUR 9.95 per month. The data bundle (and minutes) are hardly used because where I live, free WiFi is almost everywhere. Restaurants, bars and hotels all have free WiFi and so does the Rotterdam General Transport (buses, trams and metro all have free WiFi or are being fitted). So do trains. We use WhatsApp very much, even make VOIP calls with it and we have an app from our ISP that we can make voice calls with through WiFi, using our fixed telephone number. At home and in the workplace is WiFi. BUT, this is so because I live in a relatively big city, in rural areas this is not the case.

So my question is, what's the situation in your respective countries? I'm curious how this technology and service has become embedded in our societies.

·
Registered
489 Posts
In Portland (Oregon, not Maine), WIFI hotspots are also readily available. Even my cable service offers it in addition to bars, restaurants, etc. I don't take public transportation so I can't attest to WIFI availability in buses and trains, but I do know that certain cities (San Francisco and the Bay Area, for example) do have WIFI connectivity on public transportation.

Fortunately for me, my unlimited data plan from over 12 years ago has been grandfathered in everytime I upgrade my phone every two years. This is the only reason why I haven't changed carriers despite the availability of better carriers in the marketplace (Verizon seems to be top notch from what I'm told). Given that I use my phone heavily for business reasons, this unlimited data plan is very essential to how I do my work. I can rack up to over 5GB a month very easily.

While WIFI is indeed available to me, I'm just not used to using public WIFI at all. Perhaps this will change in the near future, but for now, I'm pretty happy with my mobile connectivity.

Reactions: GoodWatch

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
We have WiFi spots in Toronto. A lot of places offer free WiFi but it is not the greatest. I prefer the LTE network as the speeds are faster.

I have unlimited nation wide calling. Making voip calls is not a necessity for me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts