Watch Freeks banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I Have a box full of Invicta's and they are all really nice looking watches
most of which were bought for under $250.00 -most are auto's but some are Quartz
i have some NON Invicta's -a Zodiac, a couple of Seiko's, etc etc

i prefer Diver style pieces and also kinda prefer 44mm up to 50mm

i have a buying strategy which goes something like this :

under $250

Nice looking watch / style i really like / good movement / Auto preferred

$250-350

a more serious selection -not a Fashion piece -more of a upper class piece

over $350-699

this is a Grail type watch - an Oris, a Hamilton, etc etc

Over 700 = i dont think i would buy it -this would be out of budget IMO

i have of late expanded my brand selection's to Stuhrling, Seiko, citizen.

as Invicta has decided this year to go mostly quartz and their QC & CS @ Shopnbc
and other places has been questionable -also their pricing for the most part has
not been in my price range as i see them mostly as Fashion pieces rather than higher
end.

with the exception of a couple of watches - the SAS & SAN III i dont think these
other watches -Excursions, Venoms, etc are worth the price tag as a high end piece
this of course is simply my Humble Opinion

Now with that said i cant ignore the Daily deal's of late putting a formerly $700-800
Venom now in the 400-500 range - it is tempting -but although i wish i was wrong -i think
this recession IS NOT OVER and there is more BOTTOM to Reach -so i think 249-349 is a
possibility for the Venom with that said - if it wera to reach SUB 300 i would probably buy one

hope i didnt put anyone to sleep

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

you are like Einstein with your formula for buying. i love it

my formula is very very simple

if I like the watch and can afford the watch i buy the watch.

now i will make lists of watches i want first and before others, but the same equation above for me has to apply.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Good rule too go buy, I have a different approach as do many.

If I like it I buy it, thats my buying method, I will be changing a little over the next year though. I will not buy a watch that is under $500.00 next year!

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
I will not buy a watch that is under $500.00 next year!
what if a watch you like is for sale for $700 in february and you do not buy it then, and then in october it is on sale for $400 on one of the daily deal sites. will you not buy it?

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

you have distinctly different requirements in your watches -SIZE

i have the opposite problem as i have small wrists (girly wrists LOL)

are you assuming Quality in that price statement??

i am also going to take a costlier approach but less watches next year

RipitRon wrote:

If I like it I buy it, thats my buying method, I will be changing a little over the next year though. I will not buy a watch that is under $500.00 next year!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I tend to agree with liquid's purchasing rules.

I will buy what I like, but only if I can afford it. My personal buying rules are also DOMINATED now by family things like 2 kids, daycare, and diapers.

PS - liquid I removed the image you posted because it was coming up blank and with a X as being unable to hotlink to it.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I would agree with this but i try to stay away from Brands that will not Retain trade/sale value

as in a few months / weeks etc i would prefer not to lose 50% or more on my watches

TVDinner wrote:
I tend to agree with liquid's purchasing rules.

I will buy what I like, but only if I can afford it. My personal buying rules are also DOMINATED now by family things like 2 kids, daycare, and diapers.

PS - liquid I removed the image you posted because it was coming up blank and with a X as being unable to hotlink to it.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I am currently developing my buying strategy for 2010. It is still
. At this time I am looking at adding higher end pieces and moving away from Invicta and other similar brands. I hope to add only a few new pieces in 2010 and that may depend on whether I can sell some of my current inventory. I would like to add another Seiko and another Citizen as well as a Accutron Auto. I have my eye on a NFW Viperfish or a Autopilot auto in 2010. If I could finish 2010 with those four I would be very happy. :c I'm sure there will be some temptations along the way as I see and learn about other watches and my taste refines. But I consider that all part of the hobby.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

The criteria for me will be less watches higher price tags.

I dont see me buying anything under $500.00 mainly because if I removed all watches I spend under $500.00 for I would only have 30 watches.

Examples: Gearhead, SAN IV

To respond to Liquids question:

That is a delima but it is what it is, Generally I can tell if a watch is going to be reduced by a lot on the deal sites. But my opinion is the deal sites will not be next year what they are this year. The main reason is Eyal is going too have to protect Shop, and the trend that possibly is hurting shop is the deal sites.

Example Last nites OTV will be on the deal sites, but I dont think you will see the gearhead and or the SAN IV on the deal sites next year. Will you see the OG, Pro Divers but I think there will be a exclusive on the reserve line coming soon, and the deal sites will not be a part of that. Just speculating, but I see it coming!

WATCHURSELF wrote:
you have distinctly different requirements in your watches -SIZE

i have the opposite problem as i have small wrists (girly wrists LOL)

are you assuming Quality in that price statement??

i am also going to take a costlier approach but less watches next year

RipitRon wrote:

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

My criteria has changed significantly this year.......I imagine that it will continue to evolve. I am trying to harder to be open minded but still hold some of the ingrained biases of the past. As with most, if I like it and can afford it I will buy it.

CJ

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Great strategy George. It's good to know what guides you through the "mine field"! :)

I don't think I have a particular strategy to buying watches, but I have some basic criteria that guides me along.

I think what's happening is as I continue to buy watches, I find what works for me and what doesn't. This changes with time, but I have accumulated a list of "don'ts and won'ts".

I still want to be open to watch styles and designs as they come along. Hell, just 18 months ago, you couldn't convince me that I'd be wearing a 50mm watch or spending over $1200 on an Invicta, or that I'd own multiple quartz movements!

I think that one of the biggest factors driving my watch purchases in 2010 will be to retain the value of what I purchase. Unless you're buying one-off Patek Philippe timepieces (as an extreme example), timepieces as investments isn't really a sound idea. However, I'm tired of seeing the value of my watches tumble compared to others in the industry.

I want to buy a watch that looks great, is extremely accurate, has a mechanical/automatic movement, and can't be found discounted by 50%, just months after I buy it. What ever brand(s) does this for me, they're getting my money. :)

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

I agree buy what you like -BUT when the price tag is over a certain amount (for me at least) -i have to consider it kinda sorta like an Investment -especially since i've been trading or selling off pieces

for ex: i bought a RD not thant long ago on a deal site for $99 + $5 s/h

today i am looking to sell it for $75 shipped

its only $30 but its still like a 25% loss or better

same with another RD i traded away -got it for $115 on amazon -wouldnt sell for $75
finally someone traded me for it -and i got a nice trade but still my point

now NO BIG DEAL but i've got a BOX FULL of Invicta's that i will probably look to sell or trade someday and RIGHT NOW -they dont hold the value

NOT picking on Invicta - just the facts in my case

CurrentTime wrote:
Great strategy George. It's good to know what guides you through the "mine field"! :)

I don't think I have a particular strategy to buying watches, but I have some basic criteria that guides me along.

I think what's happening is as I continue to buy watches, I find what works for me and what doesn't. This changes with time, but I have accumulated a list of "don'ts and won'ts".

I still want to be open to watch styles and designs as they come along. Hell, just 18 months ago, you couldn't convince me that I'd be wearing a 50mm watch or spending over $1200 on an Invicta, or that I'd own multiple quartz movements!

I think that one of the biggest factors driving my watch purchases in 2010 will be to retain the value of what I purchase. Unless you're buying one-off Patek Philippe timepieces (as an extreme example), timepieces as investments isn't really a sound idea. However, I'm tired of seeing the value of my watches tumble compared to others in the industry.

I want to buy a watch that looks great, is extremely accurate, has a mechanical/automatic movement, and can't be found discounted by 50%, just months after I buy it. What ever brand(s) does this for me, they're getting my money. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.