Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

so , why are you a watch freek, why do you have this sickness.

i guess for me , its because of my father, who has always been into watches, and got me interested in them.

plus, for me, i guess its my way of being a little flashy.

ask my girlfriend, i hate to dress up, and except for a skull ring and a necklace, the only other "jewlery" i wear is my watches.

i wear tshirts and jeans most of the time, and i guess my fashion accesories are my watches.

i cant really tell why i love them, i just do. the styles, the designs, the movements. theres just something about watches. not singling out the woman, but i think it might be a man thing for the large part. woman have their jewlery and there purses and shoes. men have their watches or cars and such.

i just love them, watches are apart of me. i wear them to bed, and only take them off to change to another or go into the shower, otherwise i am never without a watch.

so why do you have this sickness, what is it that you like about watches that sometimes its all you think or talk about?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

First, I think it's an illness that is certified by mental health professionals! To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure why I'm into watches so much. I've been into them since I can remember and have always loved watches. I spend alot of time on the net and the huge majority of that time is spent in some way on watches. The only time I take a watch off is to take a shower, go into the hot tub or to sleep. Other than that, they are never off my wrist. I'm so into watches I buy them to match my other hobbies. I have a pilot's watch for when I'm working on the Huey. I have a tritium gas tube watch for when I go hunting and I have watches that I wear when I go swimming! It seems I have amassed a collection to cover about everything that I do. Crazy huh??

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

my father got me into it. he was not a collector like many of the people here are but he loved his watches. he only had 2 or 3 watches at any time, but he would clean them and wind them each morning. one of my earliest memories is watching him wind his watches each morning when i was little and he was getting ready for work. i guess that is what got me initially interested in watches.

·
Registered
22 Posts
imported post

I use to collect coins..then stereo equipment,etc...Then the fun really started!!

I started restoring Mustangs 65-66..then Mopars..you know the drill ..lol

I guess watches are the only cool objects that i can collect..or "somewhat" afford..yea right!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

For me I can not say it is because my father or grandfather did this or that, or anyone handed me down a special watch that got me hooked - nope none of that. I just have always loved accessories to my clothing. Whether it was bracelets back in the 80's and early 90's or cuff links, I always felt those little extra touches went a long way to how you looked.
I got into watches a long time ago but could not really afford anything to speak of. i always liked larger watches and had owned some larger Guess and Kennith Cole models and then graduated to a few Sector watches and some others, slowly going up in quality and learning more.
For me now it is really about the fun and passion I feel looking at my watches, cleaning them, winding them, and of course picking them out each day to wear. Along the way I have really also enjoyed just learning about watches, and the history of them, how they work, etc.

Reactions: tomsimac

·
Registered
117 Posts
imported post

My grandfather was a "Rolex Man". He passed his watch to my father when he died and who someday will pass it to me. I hope that is not soon of course. But they always spoke about watches and movements, etc. My Grandfather also had a few pocket watches which I can remember looking at when I was very young. You could see all the inner movements on them which as a little boy amazed me.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Replying here made me commit a major forum sin: reviving a years old thread. But I like the subject although it must have popped up in different guises many a time.

I received my first watch from an uncle. It was a chrome plated boy's watch with a grey leather strap and the brand was Ancre. I could hardly tell the time but wearing the watch made me feel that I belonged to the grown ups. The year must have been 1968. I somehow lost track of the watch and my parents didn't buy me another one. Fast forward to 1975. My father bought his cigarettes at a tobacconists that also sold Sicura watches. Chrome plated and hand wound Swiss watches made in Grenchen. Some were blatant copies of Rolex sports models, others elaborate chronographs. After saving all my pocket- and birthday money I was able to buy one. After that had to be repaired I received one for free because the watchmaker (who lived downstairs) lost it. But after that also broke down I was without a watch. And then came the LED and LCD watch era. When I saw an LED watch in a posh department store for the first time I was completely blown away! The mesmerising red numbers on an otherwise dark watch face were pure Science Fiction. The first ones were the equivalent of US$800. In the Seventies. Over a month's worth of wages for the average punter! In a couple of years the prices plummeted and I bought one of those Tandy/Radio Shack LCD watches for peanuts. But they became boring soon and the batteries were expensive. Without a watch yet again.

Until...... The Sicura 'Stunt Watch' entered the scene. Somewhere in the late Seventies. Remember the commercial in which that watch was strapped to the front wheel of a dirt bike? It made a couple of rounds, through mud and water and the watch was still running and in great shape. I bought two, because the first one got a scratch on the crystal and I couldn't stand that. The first sign of becoming a 'Watch Freek' :D.

I somehow lost that as well and after another short watch-less period I must have bought a Seiko LCD watch (as featured in a James Bond movie). I gave that to my father and bought a Seiko Quartz diver. I entered the service, went to Lebanon and must have bought 4 watches there, ranging from Casio calculator watches to a Seiko dress watch. Which again, I gave to my father who still has it.

Still a single watch guy I started to read watch magazines in the Public Library and in 1980 my eye caught article on the Cartier Santos Dumont. It was presented as a modern remake of the first real wristwatch. A couple of Dutch athletes received one as a promotion and I vowed to get one myself. And I did! It was 1995 Dutch Guilders and my father could not believe someone, let alone his son, paid that much for a steel watch!

I sold it to my brother in 1982 to raise money for a Cartier Tank Vermeil, something I regret until this very day. I sold that watch because I needed the money (the first and only time I had to to this) in 1984 and after a short while bought a Citizen Aqualand Pro dive watch. Sold that and bough another Aqualand Pro, a digital one with a docking station to download dive data. And I'm not a diver :D. Many years with different watches followed, most of them divers. I can't remember most of the brands any more.

The last watch before the watch bug really bit me was an excellent Citizen world time chronograph, analogue with two LCD read-outs for various world times and other functions. I had that for 4 years until it broke down beyond (affordable) repair. I still wore it to our first trip to Indonesia in 2007. On our second trip to Indonesia I bought a Swiss Expedition (but made in China) quartz chronograph. And the year after that I bought another. Two watches. And I bought an analogue DCF watch. Three watches. And I was given a Benrus WWII re-edition. Four watches. And I bought my first micro diver, a Deep Blue Juggernaut II. Five watches. And then I bought (whilst on vacation in Portugal and from an internet café) the venerable H2O Orca! Six watches. I became the Watch Freek I am now. The interest in watches had always been there, the means to pursue that interest only came after I could afford all those watches.

And now my watch ship sails a steady course, my watch knowledge increases steadily because of this fine forum and its members and my preference is clear. And I bought a tool set just for watch making and are planning to buy an Ace Timer. I own over 25 straps and bands, a watch winder and cases to store all those watches.

I am, ladies and gentlemen, a Watch Freek!

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Talk about bringing out yer dead! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's ALIVE! :D Someone had to do it and you must admit I put in the effort :D

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Didn't get into watches until I was in the Marines and went overseas and saw all the watches in stores in Hong Kong and Tokyo. Never wore one up until then, nor can I remember any of my relatives wearing one??

Finally purchased a Zodiac Seawolf on a navy ship with money I won in a card game. Paid $120 for the Seawolf, and at the same time they were selling Rolex Subs on the ship for $180. Boy, did I screw up trying to save $60.

After that I lusted after nice watches from afar, not having the resources to afford more then a Timex or an Armitron. Later when I could afford a nice watch (credit cards allow that) I purchased a 16610 Sub in Hong Kong in 1996, along with a Seiko Kinetic.

The Seiko has since passed on after becoming DOA, the Rolex is still with me, but in a safety deposit box for my son.

Budgetary restraints kept me down to those two and a couple of others for years, until my retirement and other financial windfalls that increased my disposable income.

Now that I can afford it, I have gone completely nuts and own 30 or so watches, and many more that I have flipped, including three different Sinn models.

Why do I collect watches? Probably the same reason people collect stamps, cars, figurines, guns, jewelry or any other thing, I just like them, period!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm a Watch freak because they never fail to get me laid.
However what I just said is not true, though I wish it were

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
I became one when my sister bought me a Seiko when I was 16, and became even more freeky when my mother gave me a brand new Rolex when I turned 30. Now, I look at my watches every night in a wooden case with a glass window and check to see that the second hands are all synchronize (yes, some are +/- 1 from each other) before I go to bed. I know it's strange. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I am a big guy. I was 6 foot at 12 years old. I have huge hands too. But I have always been a tinkerer. I love fixing things no one else can. Small complicated things that are clever thrill me.
I found my first watch at 12 years old, it was a Casio calculator watch that even had a numbers game in it. Loved that watch.
I got into collecting watches in earnest around 2001, when I got my first real automatic watches, a Orient 200 meter diver and a Tauchmeister Russian diver.
And of course I got more, and one day I realized that all the mechanical and automatic watches would need servicing. So I cracked books, and took apart watches.
And now I have about 300 watches in the house. 20 in my personal collection, and the rest to repair, sell, or customize.
I love Seiko watches, or anything with a Seiko movement. I own 9 watches that are Seikos. The rest are Citizen, and various Swiss watches. I prefer divers watches for the added toughness and water resistance.

Rod

·
Registered
10 Posts
so , why are you a watch freek, why do you have this sickness.

For me, I guess I just have to paraphrase Louis Armstrong, when asked by someone to explain jazz. Satchmo said, "Man, if you have to ask, you'll just never know."

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Cuz 2 other forums kicked me out.
I wuz told I had a negative attitude. Really?
My 1st grade teacher told me that 63 years ago.

How I got to be a senior member of WF is a mystery to
me. 1st watch was gifted to me by my Paw.,Don't know
bout bein a member. Jus know I'm senior to most folks.

Ingersol Dollar watch. He said "Only a dollar and I could
roll a locomotive over it and didn't lose but an hour a day.

Lou Snutt. Mayor of Malfunction Junction, Texas.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm a gearhead. Cars, motors etc. Like mechanical watches, but quartz too.
It's something you almost always have with you.

Am also a WF because it's a hobby I can afford. Couldn't so much when I was young, although I bought a few since age 10 & still have 'em.

Also because wife collects too!

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Cuz 2 other forums kicked me out
You beat me, I was only kicked off of one watch forum!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts