1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
"But most of all, he doesn’t want to wear them any more because he doesn’t feel like he needs to prove anything to anyone any more."

Proving.
Isn't this the same reason that people join forums? :eek:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
"But most of all, he doesn’t want to wear them any more because he doesn’t feel like he needs to prove anything to anyone any more."

Proving.
Might be true in your case. Definitely not everyone. There are lots of folks on the forums that just enjoy watches and learning about them. I use the forums as a way to learn about new ones and to scratch that next itch.

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
Nice article! I'm glad the writer and his father came to the same conclusion I did several years ago when working in the Independent Nation of Samoa (South Pacific): Life isn't about what I own, it is about being happy with who I am and what I currently have. Most often that is simply having my family and friends.

You see, I grew up quite poor and obsessed with owning a BMW 700 series, nice watches, having a huge house, jet skis, etc. Samoa made me realize happiness is a state of being that I work at, not what I own or show off.

I liked this, "That made me ponder today that maybe we don’t need luxury watches to send any messages. We can have them if we love them and they make us happy but we don’t need it as affirmation for who we stand for or what we are."

I wear watches that I like and can afford. I love some the expensive ones too, and will probably own one some day. However, it isn't about having "made it." I just really love that damned Glycine Airman!

And to toecutter's reply:

Proving.
I didn't join to prove a thing. I wear Casio, Citizens, Alpha, Orient, and now a Bulova. I'm not proving anything. I joined to share in the love of watches and share my excitement with others when we get new pieces. Regardless of cost. It is just fun to share the excitement of a hobby (okay, obsession) most of us here share.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Might be true in your case. Definitely not everyone. There are lots of folks on the forums that just enjoy watches and learning about them. I use the forums as a way to learn about new ones and to scratch that next itch.
Exactly. Well said.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I can realte to this as I feel the same way about my Rolex and first it was the prestige and all that wearing that watch. I hardly ever wear it no more as I am also worried about being robbed and the truth be told I am happier wearing my new sub 500.00 root beer SQUALE as I do not see any of them in the mall. Last Saturday I must of seen 20 Rolex's but no Squale. Great post Mark

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,760 Posts
Excellent article, I bought my Rolex Sub back in 1996 when it could be had for $1,800 new, I thought that was an outrageous price for a stainless steel watch back then, but I had to have the "I have made it" moment on my wrist.

Over the next ten or so years I got very few comments about it from anyone, other then "is it a real one?". There are so many clones, copies, rip offs and homages for that watch, it just about goes unnoticed, and the final straw was when some dude asked me "where did I get that Invicta". It's been in a safety deposit box ever since.

I do believe though that most collectors of higher end watches aren't doing so as a status symbol, since probably (outside of the brand name Rolex, Omega and Tag) only about 1% of the population, could differentiate a Timex from a Patek.

If you are out to be a snob, you will only impress other watch nuts by wearing a Lange, you certainly won't be impressing the great unwashed.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Registered
319 Posts
This article is terrible.

If you want a status symbol you buy 1 watch. If you buy multiple watches it means you also like watches

If you have nothing to prove you wear what you like, even if its any of the multiple luxury watches you have.

If you are afraid of getting robbed or having your hands cut off you buy a beater. But don't use weird logic to justify it as a 'status symbol.'

Guy lost credibility when the idea of getting a watch wasn't even his to begin with. Sounds like he was never really interested in the hobby to begin with and justifying to himself and his friends why he doesn't want to spend anymore money in it.

First rule about having nothing to prove. You don't write about having nothing to prove.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Reminds me of a guy walking down the street saying, I'm cool, I'm cool.
If you have to say it you ain't :)

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Rule number one, if you are posting on a blog, website, forum, etc..., you are trying to prove something.

Period.

Many of us have good intentions, but deep down the reason we post pics and comments is to say "look at me/look what I have/look at what I know/look at what I did!".

It's not a bad thing if done with some modesty, but lets not pretend it is not to stroke our own ego's at least a little.

That being said, I enjoyed the article anyway.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Interesting article...

On the point of not wearing a watch because you are afraid of it being stolen:

1. I have my watches insured and they will be replaced if they are stolen or lost due to a fire.

2. I have never been in a situation where my watches have been at risk of being taken off of my hand. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I just don't go to places where opportunity exists or maybe I am not a good target...

3. I have situational awareness when deciding on which watch to wear. If I am going to a place where a $10K watch may get a lot of unnecessary/unwanted attention, I just will not wear one.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
2. I have never been in a situation where my watches have been at risk of being taken off of my hand. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I just don't go to places where opportunity exists or maybe I am not a good target...

Hopefully you don't have a Triad problem in your home-town.

Since the author is in Malaysia, I'd say the criminal element may operate differently :)

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Hopefully you don't have a Triad problem in your home-town.

Since the author is in Malaysia, I'd say the criminal element may operate differently :)
I'm pretty sure he doesn't live in my hood.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts