Watch Freeks banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Yall....My favorite food is BBQ. I make my own rubs and bbq my ribs, Chicken and next step is get into Brisket and pulled pork. I really enjoy smoked meats...So all input is welcome and hope we can trade some secrets...:)

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

what you looking for jack............i use a basic rub for the ribs if im going to smoke them, and then add sauce towards the end, but if im making them at home, and dont have any wood chips to set up my own make shift smoker, i will only do straight bbq sauce, but then i do a whole different procedure.........

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
what you looking for jack............i use a basic rub for the ribs if im going to smoke them, and then add sauce towards the end, but if im making them at home, and dont have any wood chips to set up my own make shift smoker, i will only do straight bbq sauce, but then i do a whole different procedure.........
Nice don...I'm a dry rub guy with out sauce. How did you make your own smoker...Terracotta pots? How long do you smoke your ribs? How do you keep them moist?

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

my girlfriend made this slow cooked pulled pork for a party we had recently. ive made pork like this myself, but i usually would make it in the oven at a resturaunt, but is great to do in the slow cooker.......cooks for 20 hours on low......and only have to flip once, but its amazing. also below is the recipe for a north carolina vinegar based bbq sauce to go along with it.....

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 (6 pound) pork butt roast
1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring

DIRECTIONS
Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.

vinegar based north carolina bbq sauce.

1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon brown sugar

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and brown sugar. Mix well and allow ingredients to mesh for about 4 to 8 hours before using.afterwards, strain through a small sieve, or strainer to remove all the pepper flakes.......put into squeeze bottle and ready to put on the pork.........

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
imported post

First i take that thin membrane off the one side of my ribs.Then i massage my rub deep into the meat.After all thats why its called rub.Then i wrap them in foil and let them set in the fridge.I let them set in the fridge overnight.I take them out about an hour before starting to cook them to get them up to room temp.I get my coals going i believe in low and slow so my temp is probably around 165 to 170.I also keep my ribs wrapped in the foil this keeps in all the moisture.Cook until your almost to the right temp for pork which i think is 165 then this is when you decide if your using sauce or not.If you are take the ribs out of the foil and place them directly on the grill and start basting til you get the desired amount of carmelization you are looking for.
ken

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

This is prolly the wrong thread to be in when I'm feeling famished...It all sounds so delicious & my imagination is trying to convince me that I can actually smell them cooking.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

I do a lot of grilling and BBQ...slow and low...cooking in my backyard. I have a dual propane and charcoal/smoker that takes up about 7 feet of my porch. Half of it is a propane grill...I use it for burgers, chicken, brats, other types of sausage and hot dogs for my wife...Nathan's of course! The other half is for my serious cooking. I do a lot of smoking there....ribs, whole chickens...especially my Drunk Hippie Chicken....and beef ribs and brisket.

My drunk Hippie chicken is my personal favorite....I have a special rub I put on the outside and a compound herb butter that goes under the skin, and then I inject my drunk hippie marinade into the chicken and I also add my secret ingredient under the skin with the butter...thick cut pepper bacon. I also add a nice layer of thick cut pepper bacon to the top of the chicken to make it look like hair on top...thus it looks like a hippie!!! I then set the chicken on top of a half a can of Coors light...the beer has the herbs and garlic in it...and I have a special pan I put the hole thing in and add two cans of beer to the pan to help steam the chicken. After about an hour and a half at 300 degrees...the bird is done and goodness is it good!!! Juicy and delicious!!! I also do a Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper BBQ chicken...with a Jack Daniels/Dr.Pepper glaze...that's out of this world!!

Added 12-9-09

When I smoke ribs...I have a simple dry rub I put them...pretty basic..nothing exceptional...garlic and onion powder, kosher salt, black and white pepper, red pepper flakes, brown suger, thyme, and some paprika. I put my ribs in a cake sheet pan and cover them in the fridge for a few hours. I start my charcoal in a chimney starter..pleasedon't use lighter fluid!!!! I then put the charcoal on one half of the bottom of my BBQ pit. I have a metal basket I put my soaked woods chips in and set it beside the charcoal. I put the ribs in my rib rack, and before I put them in the smoker...I put down a drip pan under them...it's just an old 9" x 13" cake pan I don't use anymore...and I put a mixture of apple and cherry juice, cider vinegar, water and some Cherry Dr. Pepper in it to aide in steaming and keeping the ribs moist. ( And if there is some Jack Daniels hanging around the house...well of course it goes in there too!) I just smoke the ribs until they are done....a few hours at least. I do use the mixture in the drip pan to mop the ribs with...and I usually have to refill it ever hour...just to make sure it doesn't all evaporate and burn the pan.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Bichondaddy wrote:
I do a lot of grilling and BBQ...slow and low...cooking in my backyard. I have a dual propane and charcoal/smoker that takes up about 7 feet of my porch. Half of it is a propane grill...I use it for burgers, chicken, brats, other types of sausage and hot dogs for my wife...Nathan's of course! The other half is for my serious cooking. I do a lot of smoking there....ribs, whole chickens...especially my Drunk Hippie Chicken....and beef ribs and brisket.

My drunk Hippie chicken is my personal favorite....I have a special rub I put on the outside and a compound herb butter that goes under the skin, and then I inject my drunk hippie marinade into the chicken and I also add my secret ingredient under the skin with the butter...thick cut pepper bacon. I also add a nice layer of thick cut pepper bacon to the top of the chicken to make it look like hair on top...thus it looks like a hippie!!! I then set the chicken on top of a half a can of Coors light...the beer has the herbs and garlic in it...and I have a special pan I put the hole thing in and add two cans of beer to the pan to help steam the chicken. After about an hour and a half at 300 degrees...the bird is done and goodness is it good!!! Juicy and delicious!!! I also do a Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper BBQ chicken...with a Jack Daniels/Dr.Pepper glaze...that's out of this world!!
WoW....that sounds delicious....Thanks for the tip i have to try this out...Thanks for sharing...Im starving now....:)

·
Registered
415 Posts
imported post

i do my ribs in the crockpot with a bottle of beer and some of my favorite BQ sauce. after 6-7 hrs i take them out and throw them on the grill on med. and brush more sauce on till i get a thick coating. done.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Cant help I dont eat foods with bones in them, nor do I eat falic looking food like banana's, Pickles etc!!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
imported post

Inject it with .8oz of NAGA BHUT JOLOKIA per 10lbs and butter and Rudys BBQ sauce.........

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

BW-1 wrote:
Inject it with .8oz of NAGA BHUT JOLOKIA per 10lbs and butter and Rudys BBQ sauce.........
Now thats what im talking about...wow..

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

my kind of grill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts