Watch Freeks banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

With all the bad news lately I was thinking about the positive people that have an impact on our lives.
Who past or present, family, friend or even stranger do you admire and/or respect? Why?

In my case it would easily be my father. A poor kid from North Dakota that lied about his age to join the Marines just to get out of the small town and have a chance at life. He fought in Vietnam for our country (regardless what one's opinion of that war is) because it was his duty. He lost a lot of friends and grew up way too fast.
He later married my mother while stationed in a foreign land despite the disapproval of his family. My sister and I were born on a Naval base in this foreign land and later brought to this great country (late 60's) during a time when being "dark skinned" was not a favorable thing. Shunned by our extended family and not accepted in rural Ohio we managed. My sister and I were the only minorities in school and most days were horrible at best. Getting picked on and beat up at least twice a week was the norm. My father was my rock. In spite of the struggles he taught me to be strong and proud and not to ever let anyone treat us as anything less than human beings. And at the same time to be understanding and compassionate and not let our circumstance taint us. We were not "push overs" and fought back, defending our right to exist peacefully......I grew up an angry person for many years but learned through my fathers wisdom and patience the value of tolerance........when necessary. I remember in Pop Warner football he told me to make my first hit my best hit and get my opponents respect then help the guy up and say good job. And most of all never forget it's just a game, be mean, play hard and then be a gentleman between whistles. In high school my DB coach told me to quit helping the opponent up, I told him to go talk to my dad, he's right over there (all 6' 2' 235lbs and built like a Marine his entire life). I was never asked again not to help the opponent up.
My dad never missed a single game..
Sorry for the novel......I am a good husband and father because of my father (and yes he kicked my a$$ when I needed it). I figure that if I go through life half the man my dad is, I'm doing OK.

Thanks for listening.

CJ

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

Great post Seattle. I need to think a little before making my official reply, but wanted to tell you how high you set the bar in this thread with your first post, lol

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

People with faith, Loving couples, people that give without being asked and last but not least, my parents. OH! I just described them in the beginning of this post.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Man CJ, you're making it hard to follow you up! I would also say my father. I grew up in awe of him! He was hard but fair and when I screwed up, I got the business end of a paddle. He taught me to be a man and respect others until they gave me a reason not to. He taught me so many things that i couldn't begin to list them all here but suffice it to say, he did good. He worked hard and taught me the value of putting in a hard day's work because that's all he knew. He grew up on a farm in rural Ohio where they worked from sun up to sun down and even some after that. He was a medical equipment salesman and was one of the best bar none! He taugfht me how to do that to the point that I knew in junior high school that all I wanted to be was a medical salesman and that's what I'm doing to this day. He worked hard but he always had time for the kids. He was very involved in our athletic careers and coached when ever he could. He also taught me how to be in a successful marriage. My parents are still together after 48 years and are in love as much as when they first met. That's why I married my high school sweetheart and we are still together after 28 years! Sorry for the rambling but I could go on for pages but I think you all get the picture. He is a good man that I love and respect and I'm forever greatful for all the things he's taught me!

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I can't post here because this thread belongs to CJ. I have nothing to add except thank you to him for sharing and exposing himself like that. That took courage and I respect you for it.

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

When I was young my parents got divorced and both remarried soon after to wonderful people. Both new marriages are going on almost 30 years now, so clearly they made the right choice to get divorced and find their true solemates. I love dearly both my stepfather (who married my mother) and my step mother (who married my father)

As it went my brother and I went with my mother and new step father (and his son and daughter). Because of my step father's work in finance we moved all around the east coast including Ct, NJ, MA and a bunch of other areas. There was nothing wrong with any of this and I have nothing negative to write about that. All 4 kids were close and growing up together was fun with 4 kids all within 4 years of each other.

My father (and eventually his new wife) were living in the Washington DC area due to his work involving labor and education issues. Because of this he was always a few hours away. My parents had a positive relationship in divorce there never was any issues with us seeing him (thankfully). BUT he was 4-5 hours away and we were little kids. Now to an adult that is a simple few hours drive or plane flight. But to a kid ages 5-6 to 17 it was pretty far away. So for many many many years my brother and I only got to see my father 2-3 times a year and it was always a big deal since we sometimes had to fly on planes (again pretty big deal for an unaccompanied 8 year old) or he would drive 4 or 5 hours to pick us up, drive us back for a few days and then bring us back. It was sometimes hard, but the visits were always great.

My father has a somewhat different personality then I do. While I can be hyper at times, have a ton of energy to burn, and am much more aggressive when it comes to some situations, he is much more grounded, reserved, and well thought out - in everything he does. And he has always been this way.

For many years he gave speeches on a regular basis to large groups at conventions and conferences. He is one of those people that others wait to hear what they will say next. When asked a question, he is one of those people who has that slight "pause" while he thinks about his answer. It is hard to explain but I think you know what I mean. People want to hear what he is going to say, but it never seems that he is forcing his opinion on others. This is a real art in my opinion, and he does it 100% naturally.

I on the other hand will respond instinctively at times and sometime without reflection or pause. His answers are delivered in a smooth, concise and heartfelt way. This has never changed. For the past 10+ years, in what would have been retirement for everyone else, he took a previous love and obsession and turned it into nothing less then a second career.

He has become a professional photographer with nothing less then the same obsession for photography that all of us have for watches. He stays up all night working on his images in photoshop, he never stops reading and learning, he takes endless seminars, classes and workshops. He has become as dedicated AND PROFICIENT in this new part of his life as he was professionally for many decades.

So he has exceeded and excelled yet again. All of this is without any pretentiousness. He just does everything 100% all of the time, but does it in a way that makes everyone around him, and obviously me, respect the effort without him ever getting a big head about it.

I have always admired and hoped to have the respect and admiration that he does from the people he comes into contact with in his daily life. To some extent I have professionally and I know that, but I think about that "slight pause" he takes when answering a question every single day. I think about how he might handle a situation versus how I might, or had. I realized recently that I have been striving to emmulate him for many years.

Now most kids will say they admire and respect their father, but remember, we only saw him a few times a year for 15 years while I was growing up. Those visits always left a big impression on me, that I did not really understand or realize fully until later in life. As I grew older (and hopefully wiser), our ability to see each other on a more regular basis became easier. This was during college and beyond and when I really shaped myself for my coming professional career AND private life. Many of the values, practices, and style I tried to incorporate into my life was directly from things I saw him display on a daily basis. For me it was trying to become like him. For him it was just natural.

I am 40 years old, and still trying to be more like him every day.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

i'm gonna go a little less obvious than the parents, wife etc

gonna go with a somewhat less than expected influence

the person is : THICH NHAT HANH -who is he?? i expect CJ knows of him or has heard of him

he is a poet, a teacher, an author, a ZEN Buddhist Monk

Thay (as he is called) was nominated for the nobel peace prize by Dr Martin Luther King Jr

he has written many books and lives in exile in France

he has a Zen Monastary in France, Vermont, and California

for anyone who is interested here is a link to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thich_Nhat_Hanh

i have not had the pleasure of meeting him (yet)

G

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

The 3 people I admire the most are My Grandmother, Dr. Irwin Blank, and Lance Armstrong.

As someone who is struggling with cancer, I have found Lance to be an inspiration beyond words. I look at what he's accomplished SINCE his diagnosis, and I am amazed! There's little that he says that I could ever quote . . . it's about HOW he chooses to live life, despite his cancer and treatment.

Dr. Irwin Blank is a psychotherapist that took me on as a patient when my life was in total disarray and a total disaster! He helped me reconstruct my life, get clean and sober, divorce my horrible wife, change careers, get remarried, have a child, and eventually attend college and get 4 degrees. I think the ultimate compliment is when I decided to become a psychotherapist, myself. This took years of schooling and training, to eventually start my own private practice (which was shortened by cancer).

My Grandmother, Enid, was the one person who taught me about the world, outside of Johnstown, PA (where I grew up). She was a "war bride" and came to American from England after marrying my Grandfather in 1945. It was through her stories as a girl growing up in the UK that interested me in Europe and the rest of the world. I knew that Johnstown would be a placed to grow old and die, never achieving any of my dreams. So after graduating HS at age 17, I moved away, and the rest is history. :)

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

You never cease to surprise me George.........one of my favorite quotes (and of course it relates to my original post and has relevance to Jame's post).

If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people.
WATCHURSELF wrote:
i'm gonna go a little less obvious than the parents, wife etc

gonna go with a somewhat less than expected influence

the person is : THICH NHAT HANH -who is he?? i expect CJ knows of him or has heard of him

he is a poet, a teacher, an author, a ZEN Buddhist Monk

Thay (as he is called) was nominated for the nobel peace prize by Dr Martin Luther King Jr

he has written many books and lives in exile in France

he has a Zen Monastary in France, Vermont, and California

for anyone who is interested here is a link to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thich_Nhat_Hanh

i have not had the pleasure of meeting him (yet)

G

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

For the record, not trying to initiate anything here.......good, bad or indifferent.And trying to incite thoughtful or meaningful response is not necessarily on the menu at a watch forum. Clearly I feel that we are not "most forums".

In this instance I was having a conversation with my father yesterday regarding some serious and though t provoking issues. As usual he gave me good advice. As the night wore on I continued to think about his constant, positive impact on my life........hence the post.
It was a moment of reflection that managed to make it on to a public watch forum, go figure.:b

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

I get it......and it's clear that the "relationship" regardless of how brief or fleeting has shaped you. Thanks James.

CJ

TVDinner wrote:
When I was young my parents got divorced and both remarried soon after to wonderful people. Both new marriages are going on almost 30 years now, so clearly they made the right choice to get divorced and find their true solemates. I love dearly both my stepfather (who married my mother) and my step mother (who married my father)

As it went my brother and I went with my mother and new step father (and his son and daughter). Because of my step father's work in finance we moved all around the east coast including Ct, NJ, MA and a bunch of other areas. There was nothing wrong with any of this and I have nothing negative to write about that. All 4 kids were close and growing up together was fun with 4 kids all within 4 years of each other.

My father (and eventually his new wife) were living in the Washington DC area due to his work involving labor and education issues. Because of this he was always a few hours away. My parents had a positive relationship in divorce there never was any issues with us seeing him (thankfully). BUT he was 4-5 hours away and we were little kids. Now to an adult that is a simple few hours drive or plane flight. But to a kid ages 5-6 to 17 it was pretty far away. So for many many many years my brother and I only got to see my father 2-3 times a year and it was always a big deal since we sometimes had to fly on planes (again pretty big deal for an unaccompanied 8 year old) or he would drive 4 or 5 hours to pick us up, drive us back for a few days and then bring us back. It was sometimes hard, but the visits were always great.

My father has a somewhat different personality then I do. While I can be hyper at times, have a ton of energy to burn, and am much more aggressive when it comes to some situations, he is much more grounded, reserved, and well thought out - in everything he does. And he has always been this way.

For many years he gave speeches on a regular basis to large groups at conventions and conferences. He is one of those people that others wait to hear what they will say next. When asked a question, he is one of those people who has that slight "pause" while he thinks about his answer. It is hard to explain but I think you know what I mean. People want to hear what he is going to say, but it never seems that he is forcing his opinion on others. This is a real art in my opinion, and he does it 100% naturally.

I on the other hand will respond instinctively at times and sometime without reflection or pause. His answers are delivered in a smooth, concise and heartfelt way. This has never changed. For the past 10+ years, in what would have been retirement for everyone else, he took a previous love and obsession and turned it into nothing less then a second career.

He has become a professional photographer with nothing less then the same obsession for photography that all of us have for watches. He stays up all night working on his images in photoshop, he never stops reading and learning, he takes endless seminars, classes and workshops. He has become as dedicated AND PROFICIENT in this new part of his life as he was professionally for many decades.

So he has exceeded and excelled yet again. All of this is without any pretentiousness. He just does everything 100% all of the time, but does it in a way that makes everyone around him, and obviously me, respect the effort without him ever getting a big head about it.

I have always admired and hoped to have the respect and admiration that he does from the people he comes into contact with in his daily life. To some extent I have professionally and I know that, but I think about that "slight pause" he takes when answering a question every single day. I think about how he might handle a situation versus how I might, or had. I realized recently that I have been striving to emmulate him for many years.

Now most kids will say they admire and respect their father, but remember, we only saw him a few times a year for 15 years while I was growing up. Those visits always left a big impression on me, that I did not really understand or realize fully until later in life. As I grew older (and hopefully wiser), our ability to see each other on a more regular basis became easier. This was during college and beyond and when I really shaped myself for my coming professional career AND private life. Many of the values, practices, and style I tried to incorporate into my life was directly from things I saw him display on a daily basis. For me it was trying to become like him. For him it was just natural.

I am 40 years old, and still trying to be more like him every day.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

My mother-in-law yes my mother-in-law. Don't always agree with her or get along with her. I admire and respect her because of her calling. She is a United Methodist minister which female ministers are not highly regarded across the board. She has put up with a lot of crap in her career due to the fact that she is a female preacher. She keeps on preaching away. Her determination and perserverance make me admire and respect her greatly in the face of all the adversity she faces daily.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

I have to say, I'm very impressed with all these awesome answers! It really is refreshing to read this kind of stuff on a watch forum. I think it's perfectly appropriate for this kind of topic to be discussed. Yes we are all watch fanatics but we are also people that have a story to tell!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.