Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have often wondered about people buying White Gold watches, Why?

Other than perhaps owning them for the precious metals to use to hedge your bets against a monetary crash, what's the advantage over stainless steel, of which they are almost indistinguishable from looks-wise?

White Gold is heavier so not as comfortable to wear, White Gold is a scratch magnet as well.

Some say that White Gold flies under the radar, well so does stainless steel, so what's the purpose, other than to jack up the price of the watch?

Here's a perfect example! The watch would look identical in Stainless Steel and cost about $20K less

·
Watch Freek
550 Posts
Personally, I do not like yellow gold as part of a watch. I prefer a silver looking metals (stainless, white gold, Maillechort, platinum etc). So I could understand if I wanted to offer myself an expensive watch, but stainless wasn't "luxury" enough, and not in yellow gold, then my options are limited. So likely a white gold watch would be it, as watches in Maillechort and platinum seem to be incredibly rare.

·
5,865 Posts
I have often wondered about people buying White Gold watches, Why?
Say money is absolutely no object. I mean, really no object. And the potential buyer of such a watch finds yellow gold too common (everyone and his uncle wears a yellow gold watch). Well, this is one possible reason. And hey, doesn't this President look classy?

Reactions: Reflex

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Say money is absolutely no object. I mean, really no object. And the potential buyer of such a watch finds yellow gold too common (everyone and his uncle wears a yellow gold watch). Well, this is one possible reason. And hey, doesn't this President look classy?

It would look just as classy in Stainless steel and wouldn't be a scratch magnet!

·
Watch Freek
550 Posts
It would look just as classy in Stainless steel and wouldn't be a scratch magnet!
Chaz, I don't think that watch is meant for the likes of you, nor I.. I would imagine the person who buys and wears that Rolex would rarely pick up a shovel... Nor care if it were dinged (unless they are living beyond their means).

·
3,452 Posts
People wear yellow gold watches and bracelets so why not white? Even if it's a scratch magnet, many wear their watches carefully and as such their watches are unlikely to sustain any serious scratches.

Yellow gold, particularly 18ct gold, is quite soft and therefore arguably equally liable to being scratched. Some like yellow and some like white gold. To each their own - no big deal

·
Super Moderator
11,881 Posts
Have often wondered about it too Chaz, and why. (y)(y) But I guess
it's that a lot of people want something different. Or don't like the looks
of yellow, or red gold. And if they actually can afford it, then they might
want one as a conversations piece. 🙂Where someone will ask them,
I love your watch ! ..What is it made of? And you say..white gold, and
they say wow, never even knew that existed ! 😮😄

Honestly guess white gold is just something else to enjoy about watches,
and the hobby. Or just is fun to search out to have in a collection sir.

What a great topic Chaz ! Thanks a ton for coming up with it !!!

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
People wear yellow gold watches and bracelets so why not white? Even if it's a scratch magnet, many wear their watches carefully and as such their watches are unlikely to sustain any serious scratches.

Yellow gold, particularly 18ct gold, is quite soft and therefore arguably equally liable to being scratched. Some like yellow and some like white gold. To each their own - no big deal
People wear gold watches, and let's be honest to show off to some extent their wealth, a white gold model isn't showing off anything so why pay the extra loot for something that looks like stainless steel, but is much heavier and a scratch magnet.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chaz, I don't think that watch is meant for the likes of you, nor I.. I would imagine the person who buys and wears that Rolex would rarely pick up a shovel... Nor care if it were dinged (unless they are living beyond their means).
Mark Goldberg in his videos shows off a solid gold Bluesy and he complains that he had to put stickers, specially made for Rolex on the polished center links of his watch because even his shirt cuffs were rubbing up and down on the watch making hairline scratches.

·
1,002 Posts
White gold and 904L have subtitle but noticeable color differences. Likewise 904L and 316 have different color as well but less so.

I think the white gold is GORGEOUS but is the slightly brighter color worth the crazy additional cost? Nope. Not for me at least.
And the additional weight isn’t an advantage in my book. I love me some titanium.

I would, however, much sooner buy a white gold watch over a yellow or rose gold piece. I think.

Now if they made a Titanium Sub... man. That would be sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why white gold? Because they’re awesome. Just like stepping up to platinum. Rolex could sell millions of SS smurfs alone but if you really want one, you gotta go big. I would love the new yachtmaster WG rubber strap one in SS. It’s a dream watch that I’m just never gonna get. The exclusivity of doing these WG models keeps them on a pedestal. Or if you dare you can always mod your watch. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
One thing that can’t be said is “conspicuous consumption”. Most people will think it’s just steel.

I have to give a person credit who can afford exotic watches and they get one that could be mistaken for steel. It certainly isn’t gaudy and tacky like a gold Rolex.

·
Aspiring Expert
1,446 Posts
Solid platinum doesn't look much different than white gold or stainless, unless you told somebody which it was I don't think they could tell the difference...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts