Watch Freeks banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Long Time Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I read at a couple othersites that a TV show was selling Maurice LaCroix watches and the presenters were wearing white gloves for some reason.Is this how some people view higher end watches?

Are they serious,assuming that this rumor is true?I own and have owned a few "high end" watches and during the sale and subsequent ownership the need to wear gloveswhile handling them wasn' t even considered.

I know that there are a lot of people who dump on TV sales and maybe this is just one of them starting a rumor,but if it's real it seems quite odd.

Man the forums have changed in the course of a year!

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

I watched the show you are referencing (Monday night at 10pm) and the host and presenter wore white gloves during the show.

This was partially because it is TV and this was far and way the highest end watches shopnbc had presented in a long time. So the white gloves added to the prestige of the high end brands being presented.

The other reason is that these watches are MANY thousands of dollars and will be going to real customers. These customers are expecting pristine watches, so wearing the gloves helped assure that.

In my opinion though, most of it was for TV and theatrics.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

It is prestige, important too some, yet unimportant to most. Personally I find the whole thing a joke really, the concept, the idea, the price! too each is own I guess!

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . I think it high-lighted the appreciation for the quality and cache of the brand.

Also it was nice to see the watches handled with care . . . as opposed to the usual tossing about and banging the display pieces are subjected to . . .

[align=center][/align]

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Marketing 101...make the item look as high end as possible to the consumer.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

i thought it seemed silly at best, hell ive tried on and own plenty of watches in that category and not once have I nor any salesman ever worn cloves when inspecting a watch....Crap the only time i ever did something like that was when I was holding a bat that was used by Mickey Mantle from the Louisville Slugger museum...

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

with that said, I must also say that out of all of the tv watch pitchmen I like Juan from SWI the best....he knows his stuff and has a real background in watches unlike most of the others...plus he has a great easy going demeanor on air....

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

i saw that show and although i thought it looked cool at first -when they did close-up shots -you could see the so called "white gloves" were cheapos - they should have sprang for the real deal -especially if you're gonna do close ups

BUT they didnt have to do that -

1-anyone who could afford those prices knows what they are getting and knows its high end

2-everytime they needed to set something -off came the gloves

it was kinda silly to me

BUT GREAT LOOKING WATCHES

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

If it's costs more and is treated like it's expensive than it must be right???:BE

Kinda like those 2 White House party crashers....all they did was look and act important and VOILA!!!:c:c:c

On another note (not mentioning brands) we have several products in my industry that are identical but packaged and marketed differently and sold for as much as 3 times more than their identical counterparts in plain packaging. Makes ya wonder, huh?

CJ

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

As I posted above, and I think most here agree - it was all for the TV presentation and to make it all look better on air. Theatrics!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.