Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

We've heard a lot about the "Swiss Factories" used by the TV brands...

The subject intrigues me, if for no other reason than the cloak of secrecy and the word-parsing done by the watch industry. That said, I have LOVED the Nicolet Eklipse since it was initially sneak-peeked. If you forgot this watch, Mike Izzy has the gold tone, but the Rose Black is *MY* favorite. Here it is:

Well, LO AND BEHOLD, Accutron by Bulova has a watch called the KIRKWOOD:

Look familiar?
Hmmmmmmmm...
gotta be the same watch right? Same movement. small cosmetic differences, the crown, the "tuning fork" logo and the strap.

The price difference is substantial. The Nicolet is about half.


David
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
imported post

I own both Accutron and Nicolet and honestly they are both great watch companies. Nicolet is Croton's secret weapon. They are great watches. I wore one of my Nicolets this morning, but now I'm wearing my Chinese made BUZZ Mecanique. This watch has been great too by the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

My buddy arrived at the Croton big party at 11am. He wanted one and I did too.

They sold all 6 they had by 10am, but have a new version coming out next year...

If I see a Rose/Black at a good price second hand, I'll buy it.

David
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
imported post

argabright wrote:
My buddy arrived at the Croton big party at 11am. He wanted one and I did too.

They sold all 6 they had by 10am, but have a new version coming out next year...

If I see a Rose/Black at a good price second hand, I'll buy it.

David
I would get one for sure. They are very reliable timepieces. Mine is a quartz version with a saphire crystal. They call it the "Big 8". It also has an authentic shark strap with a deployant clasp. Very high quality IMHO. Here is a stock photo of mine. It's not the best photo. I need to take some with my own camera

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
imported post



[align=center][/align]I noticed the similarity between these two watches awhile back ...
... as well as the price disparity!​
... I love horological 'coincidences' like this! ... :eek:
______________________________________

Anyway, FWIW, I also like the Nicolet case a LOT more; i.e., ...
... to me, the lug horns are more stylish, the case seems more refined, ...​
... the crown is more substantial, the dial more skeleton-esque, etc., etc.!​
______________________________________

'just my 2¢, of course, but I'm stickin' to it ...
... until someone convinces me otherwise! - d'oh!​

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,657 Posts
imported post

Watchguru58 wrote:
argabright wrote:
My buddy arrived at the Croton big party at 11am. He wanted one and I did too.

They sold all 6 they had by 10am, but have a new version coming out next year...

If I see a Rose/Black at a good price second hand, I'll buy it.

David
I would get one for sure. They are very reliable timepieces. Mine is a quartz version with a saphire crystal. They call it the "Big 8". It also has an authentic shark strap with a deployant clasp. Very high quality IMHO. Here is a stock photo of mine. It's not the best photo. I need to take some with my own camera

Guru, I got that watch for a hundred bucks at the SHOP and it gets some wrist time. IMHO the shark strap and deployant are worth more. After that sale,seems like their prices went up a lot higher and I haven't bought anything since. Like the phrase "Secret Weapon":c
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
imported post

woody606 wrote:
Watchguru58 wrote:
argabright wrote:
My buddy arrived at the Croton big party at 11am. He wanted one and I did too.

They sold all 6 they had by 10am, but have a new version coming out next year...

If I see a Rose/Black at a good price second hand, I'll buy it.

David
I would get one for sure. They are very reliable timepieces. Mine is a quartz version with a saphire crystal. They call it the "Big 8". It also has an authentic shark strap with a deployant clasp. Very high quality IMHO. Here is a stock photo of mine. It's not the best photo. I need to take some with my own camera

Guru, I got that watch for a hundred bucks at the SHOP and it gets some wrist time. IMHO the shark strap and deployant are worth more. After that sale,seems like their prices went up a lot higher and I haven't bought anything since. Like the phrase "Secret Weapon":c
That's a cool photo Woody. I agree with you the shark strap and deployant clasp really makes this watch unique. I too got in on the same deal as you. This strap is absolutely cool and nothing like leather at all. I executed a search warrant on a storage unit a while back and it was very hot. I was sweating like a pig, but this strap didn't absorb any sweat at all. A leather strap would have soaked right through, but the shark just repelled it away. I thought that was pretty nifty LOL!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,288 Posts
imported post

Here's the "real deal" for you to see Rob. Took a long time to pull the trigger on this one, but one that I'm glad I did. I saw / missed the Accutron on one of Lior's sites not too long ago selling for under $400. By the time I got there it was sold out. Cheapest I've seen it anywhere other than that was $850. A great time piece that I would love to own, but not for that price. Oh! One more thing. The "Kirkwood" on bracelet is the ticket.......... that version is "smokin"!

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
imported post

arnie11 wrote:
Here's the "real deal" for you to see Rob. Took a long time to pull the trigger on this one, but one that I'm glad I did. I saw / missed the Accutron on one of Lior's sites not too long ago selling for under $400. By the time I got there it was sold out. Cheapest I've seen it anywhere other than that was $850. A great time piece that I would love to own, but not for that price. Oh! One more thing. The "Kirkwood" on bracelet is the ticket.......... that version is "smokin"!

That is a sweet Nicolet Arnie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,288 Posts
imported post

Yea, I really like the piece as well. The down side of it was that the croco strap that it came on was a piece of sh*t !! No lie. I was very disapointed for a watch that was this much $$$$. I put a nice leather strap on it from one of the watches in my collection that I paid under $100 bucks for and it looks much better. David Mermelman told me he'd look into it, but that was the last I heard. No biggie as I am still happy with the piece.

Watch with my leather strap on it. No before pics.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,012 Posts
imported post

arnie11 wrote:
Yea, I really like the piece as well. The down side of it was that the croco strap that it came on was a piece of sh*t !! No lie. I was very disapointed for a watch that was this much $$$$. I put a nice leather strap on it from one of the watches in my collection that I paid under $100 bucks for and it looks much better. David Mermelman told me he'd look into it, but that was the last I heard. No biggie as I am still happy with the piece.

Watch with my leather strap on it. No before pics.

Very nice Arnie!! One question for you, how many watches DO you own?? :BE:BE
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,128 Posts
imported post

dane1991 wrote:
arnie11 wrote:
Yea, I really like the piece as well. The down side of it was that the croco strap that it came on was a piece of sh*t !! No lie. I was very disapointed for a watch that was this much $$$$. I put a nice leather strap on it from one of the watches in my collection that I paid under $100 bucks for and it looks much better. David Mermelman told me he'd look into it, but that was the last I heard. No biggie as I am still happy with the piece.

Watch with my leather strap on it. No before pics.

Very nice Arnie!! One question for you, how many watches DO you own?? :BE:BE
Dane-

If Arnie answers this question he has to kill you Ha Ha LOL!!!:%:%:lol:l
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top