Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Rolex Daytona as my daily wear watch, and love it :)

I also have a Chris Ward C5 Malvern Slimline, as my dress watch. Lovely watch but I have rarely worn it, as I like the Daytona too much.

Other than that I have a couple of quartz watches (Rado and Gucci), which I no longer wear for the same reason.

I have however liked Nomos watches ever since I first saw one over two years ago. I have now decided I will buy one, although I fear it may also end up in the drawer.

I am seeking advice, having narrowed down the choice to three watches.

Tangente 38
Tangente 38 Datum
Tangente Gangreserve

Here is my thinking:

I want the 38mm preferably, as my current watches are smaller. So this would be different. The third one is however a 35mm.

I want the new Nomos Swing System (in house escapement). The first one does not have it.

I am not so keen on having a date feature, as the Nomos system seems awkward to set for date, and I will not wear the watch daily. I don't want an automatic for the same reason.

The first watch looks the best (cleanest) to my eyes, but does not have the in house escapement.

So each has pros and cons.

Here are links to all three.
http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watch...inding/Tangente-38-sapphire-crystal-back.html
http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watch.../Tangente-38-Datum-sapphire-crystal-back.html
http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watch...ngente-Gangreserve-sapphire-crystal-back.html

So, any advice please? And is there anything to be wary of?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
732 Posts
Great price, and a pretty close copy :eek:

But I do like the design, so the question is really which of the three to go for.
Technically, the whole Bauhaus thing was about simplicity and functionallity. In that sense if you want to stay pure to form it would have to be the Tangente 38. Simple no complications, it just tells the time.

That and $600 Cdn seems a bit stiff for a date function…………

Just to make things more difficult, did you look at the Stowa Antea KS's? It might be the photography but they seem warmer and a bit more vintage to me. The Nomos strikes me as surgical

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Technically, the whole Bauhaus thing was about simplicity and functionallity. In that sense if you want to stay pure to form it would have to be the Tangente 38. Simple no complications, it just tells the time.

That and $600 Cdn seems a bit stiff for a date function…………

Just to make things more difficult, did you look at the Stowa Antea KS's? It might be the photography but they seem warmer and a bit more vintage to me. The Nomos strikes me as surgical

Yes, the Tangente 38 would be the one - if it had the in house escapement. That's its only con.

I agree about the date function on the second one, and in fact its date function is its con for me :)

I have looked at Stowa's but I really have decided I want a Nomos. If I get a Stowa I know I will still have that Nomos itch wanting to be scratched :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
#3 gangreserve for me. I like the splash of colour

6 month delivery?

I have not asked about delivery times yet, as I have yet to pick which watch. But given your comment I just spotted that the 3rd watch has indeed got a 6 month waiting list. I can wait though, if that is the one I decide on.

But I have decided to visit a Nomos dealer next week, to try on 35mm and 38mm watches, so I can at least answer that question.

·
Long Time Member
8,349 Posts
+1 for the Datum.
I like the Bauhaus concept of uncomplicated simplicity. It's why my Hamilton Intra-Matic is one of my favorite watches right now. Darn thing doesn't even have a second hand.

Reactions: spice

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you both, but isn't the date feature going to prove an annoyance in a rarely worn watch?

Especially as (looking at the instructions), Nomos date setting seems more awkward than most?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried on a few Nomos again. The three Nomos that interested me were:

Tangente 38 - right size, but has the old (generic) escapement
Tangente 38 Datum - right size, but I don't want the date
Tangente Gangreserve - right escapement and features, but only 35mm

Having tried on both sizes, it was clear that the 38mm looked better on my wrist. The 35mm was ok....until I tried the bigger one, and then it was clear I would not be happy if I bought the 35mm, knowing the 38mm suited me better.

It seems that Nomos only announced a new Tetra Minimatik at Basel :( And that shape does not interest me.

So, basically none of the 3 watches ideally meets my requirements :(

So, thinking (slightly) outside the box, what are your thoughts on this watch please?

http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watch...-Datum-Gangreserve-sapphire-crystal-back.html

A different design but not too far removed from the Tangente. It is 37mm and has the Nomos in-house escapement. The date feature is an annoyance, although it does balance the dial nicely.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I tried on a few Nomos again. The three Nomos that interested me were:

Tangente 38 - right size, but has the old (generic) escapement
Tangente 38 Datum - right size, but I don't want the date
Tangente Gangreserve - right escapement and features, but only 35mm

Having tried on both sizes, it was clear that the 38mm looked better on my wrist. The 35mm was ok....until I tried the bigger one, and then it was clear I would not be happy if I bought the 35mm, knowing the 38mm suited me better.

It seems that Nomos only announced a new Tetra Minimatik at Basel :( And that shape does not interest me.

So, basically none of the 3 watches ideally meets my requirements :(

So, thinking (slightly) outside the box, what are your thoughts on this watch please?

http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watch...-Datum-Gangreserve-sapphire-crystal-back.html

A different design but not too far removed from the Tangente. It is 37mm and has the Nomos in-house escapement. The date feature is an annoyance, although it does balance the dial nicely.

Since you know exactly what you want I would just wait. Why settle for something you aren't wearing most of the time anyway?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeff, that is true. The only question is whether such a watch ever be made/designed. i.e. 38mm Tangente Gangreserve.

Peixian, thanks. Yes, I too prefer it to the Tangente 38 Datum. And am liking the Metro more, the more I look at it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Decision made & new watch ordered

Thank you all who commented. It was useful to bounce my thoughts off everyone :)

I just ordered this: http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watch...-Datum-Gangreserve-sapphire-crystal-back.html

Having looked at the watch for days, I realised I preferred it to the more traditional Bauhaus design of the Tangente. With its quirky take on the Bauhaus look, I feel the Metro Gangreserve will maintain my interest and desire to wear it. Occasionally even instead of my much loved Daytona.

The 37mm size is right for me, I like quirky looks, the in-house very high quality movement, wire lugs, "all dial" minimal bezel, silver dial, and the unique power reserve feature. I will just have to live with the date feature I did not want, although it does look right on the dial, balancing it, so it is good that it is there.

It is also so very different to my current watches that it is very likely to be worn.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.