1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
That is a great list and info. Thanks for posting.
Some of the highlights -

SWATCH GROUP
(Switzerland):
Breguet, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Harry Winston, Jaquet Droz, Omega, Léon Hatot, Longines, Rado, Union Glashütte, Tissot, Calvin Klein, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton, Swatch, Flik Flak

Based in Bienne, Switzerland, the Swatch Group is the largest watch company in the world. Of the 8.46 billion Swiss francs ($9.04 billion) in net sales that it reported for 2013, SF8.17 billion ($8.74 billion) came from watches and jewelry. The publicly traded company owns 18 watch brands spanning the entire price spectrum. Breguet is the most expensive among them, while Omega generates the most revenue and is the third-largest Swiss watch brand.

------------

RICHEMONT GROUP (Switzerland)
Vacheron Constantin, A. Lange & Söhne, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Roger Dubuis, Piaget, IWC Schaffhausen, Officine Panerai, Ralph Lauren**, Baume & Mercier, Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels, Montblanc, Dunhill
Compagnie Financière Richemont SA is a leading player across a range of luxury products. It markets 20 brands, 13 of which produce watches; but by sales, it is predominantly a luxury watch group. Net sales for fiscal 2014 (which ended March 31, 2014) totaled 10.65 billion euros ($13.77 billion).

-----------

LVMH GROUP (France)
TAG Heuer, Bulgari, Hublot, Zenith, Dior, Fred, Chaumet, Louis Vuitton

LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA is the largest luxury-goods group in the world. The conglomerate owns dozens of brands in the liquor, cosmetics, fashion, and watches and jewelry businesses. It also has an extensive retail division, with more than 3,000 stores worldwide. Based in Paris, the publicly traded company had total sales of €29.15 billion ($37.69 billion) in 2013. Its watches and jewelry division made up €2.78 billion ($3.59 billion) of that. LVMH has been building its watch division for the past 15 years; its most recent watch-brand acquisition was Bulgari, in 2012. Its biggest watch brand is TAG Heuer, one of the top-selling Swiss brands.

-----------

KERING GROUP (France)
Ulysse Nardin, Girard-Perregaux, JeanRichard, Gucci, Boucheron, Qeelin, Bottega Veneta

KERING is a large Paris-based group with a focus on fashion and retail. Formerly known as PPR, the publicly traded company changed its name in 2013. Last year, total revenues were €9.75 billion ($12.6 billion). Of that total, €6.47 billion ($8.37 billion) came from the luxury division, more than half of which was from Gucci. Kering has been building its watch business steadily over the last few years. In 2012 it purchased the Sowind Group, consisting of Girard-Perregaux and Jean- Richard. Sowind makes Swiss mechanical movements, which appeared in Gucci watches for the first time last year. Another significant acquisition came last summer, when Kering bought the Swiss watch brand Ulysse Nardin. At the end of 2013, Kering had 35,000 employees.

---------

SEIKO GROUP (Japan)
Seiko, Grand Seiko, Credor, Pulsar, Lorus, Alba, Orient
The Seiko Group is a massive, publicly held conglomerate that makes many types of products. It consists of Seiko Epson and Seiko Holdings. The watch business, Seiko Watch Corp., is part of Seiko Holdings. Seiko Epson produces some components and is the parent company of Orient Watch Co., Ltd. Seiko produces all the compo- nents used in both its mechanical and its quartz watches. While it is known primarily for the Seiko brand of watches, the group also makes high-end mechanicals under Grand Seiko (which it launched on the U.S. market in 2010) and a variety of offerings through its other brands. For the year ended March 31, 2014, the Seiko Group’s total revenues were $12.75 billion (Seiko Holdings’ were 308.2 billion yen, or $3 billion; Epson’s were ¥1 trillion, or $9.75 billion). Of that, ¥150.7 billion ($1.46 billion) were in watch sales. As of March 31, Seiko Holdings had 13,439 employees.

---------

FOSSIL GROUP (USA)
Fossil, Relic, Michele, Zodiac, Skagen, Adidas*, Burberry*, Diesel*, DKNY*, Michael Kors*, Tory Burch*, Marc Jacobs*, Emporio Armani*, Emporio Armani Swiss Made*, Armani Exchange*, Karl Lagerfeld*

Fossil, Inc. is a publicly held company based in Richardson, Texas. It is a power on the fashion-watch scene, posting sales of $3.26 billion in 2013, 77 percent of them from watches, mostly fashion watches. Fossil makes watches under its own brand names and those of licensors. Its most recent acquisition was Skagen, purchased in 2012. While most of the Fossil Group’s movements are Japanese quartz, Fossil has recently made forays into the Swiss-made market. Last year it introduced Fossil Swiss, a line of Fossil watches with quartz and mechanical movements produced by the group’s subsidiaries in Switzerland’s Canton Ticino. This year the group added a Swiss-made line to the Emporio Armani brand. It also introduced a licensed watch brand under the name of fashion designer Tory Burch.

---------

MOVADO GROUP (USA)
Ebel, Concord, Movado, ESQ by Movado, Coach*, Hugo Boss*, Juicy Couture*, Tommy Hilfiger*, Lacoste*, Scuderia Ferrari*

----------

CITIZEN GROUP (Japan)
Citizen, Campanola, Q&Q, Arnold & Son, Bulova, Bulova Accutron II, Bulova AccuSwiss, Wittnauer, Caravelle New York, Bulova Clocks, Frank Lloyd Wright*, Harley-Davidson*

---------

TIMEX GROUP (USA)
Timex, Nautica*, Opex*, GC*, Guess*, Salvatore Ferragamo Timepieces*, Versace*, Versus*

-------

FRANCK MULLER GROUP (Switzerland)
Franck Muller, Pierre Kunz, European Company Watch, Rodolphe, Martin Braun, Barthelay, Backes & Strauss**, Pierre Michael Golay, Smalto Timepieces*, Roberto Cavalli*

--------

BINDA GROUP (Italy)
Breil, Freestyle, Hip Hop, Moschino*, Kenneth Cole*, Kenneth Cole Reaction*, Tommy Bahama*, Ted Baker London*, Chronotech*, Gametime*, Sperry Top-Sider*, Zoo York*

·
13,275 Posts
Great info guys...financial numbers are interesting. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Great info. I do have to say though that when I see big companies own several companies, the history of the original company is lost in the money making aspect of the new ownership. It has nothing to do with the quality of the watches, but some of that magic of an old company, with rich history is lost through all of this. There are very few companies left that have roots that trace back their early years. I'm not saying this affects anything that the company produces, but for me personally, it affects what I like to see in a company. You know what I'm saying? It's like the old mom and pop stores of yesteryear and when the wal-marts, targets, etc...came into power. I'm one for nostalgia.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts

Hard to believe that Market share is in reality the same as volume, especially when that report show Mechanical watches have 77% of the market, and quartz only 23% I see about 200 quartz watches on the wrists of the public, for every mechanical.

This graph is very misleading, or the stats were taken from 1972.

·
13,275 Posts
Hard to believe that Market share is in reality, the same as volume, especially when that report show Mechanical watches have 77% of the market, and quartz only 23% I see about 200 quartz watches on the wrists of the public, for every mechanical.

This graph is very misleading, or the stats were taken from 1972.

Market Share is measured in percentage of Dollars and not in terms of the number units sold

·
6,396 Posts

Is this by volume or by turnover? Patek only produces 50,000 watches per year but are listed with a 3% market share.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Market Share is measured in percentage of Dollars and not in terms of the number units sold
That's what I thought, I believe Citizen manufactures more watches every year then all of Switzerland and Germany combined.

So in reality, in volume, Citizen is the largest watch manufacturer in the World.

·
6,396 Posts
Got it, thought so :D

DEFINITION of 'Market Share'

The percentage of an industry or market's total sales that is earned by a particular company over a specified time period. Market share is calculated by taking the company's sales over the period and dividing it by the total sales of the industry over the same period. This metric is used to give a general idea of the size of a company to its market and its competitors.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
Got it, thought so :D

DEFINITION of 'Market Share'

The percentage of an industry or market's total sales that is earned by a particular company over a specified time period. Market share is calculated by taking the company's sales over the period and dividing it by the total sales of the industry over the same period. This metric is used to give a general idea of the size of a company to its market and its competitors.

Companies sales? What do they mean by that, volume, percentage of profits, price of watches?

Hard to believe that Swatch sells that many watches over Seiko, also hard to believe that 77% of the market is mechanical watches, that is patently bogus on face value as far as volume!

My idea of market share would be, what percentage of the public is wearing your watch opposed to a different brand.

Guess all this graph shows is, if you want to be in the watchmaking business, and really squeeze every nickel you can out of the public, make mechanical watches, who knew?

A true market share would be the percentage of customers wearing your brand as opposed to other brands, not pure profit margins.

According to this chart Seiko and Patek Phillipe have the same market share, really? Go out in public and I bet you could count about 50,000 Seikos before you saw your first Patek. In reality I have never in my life even saw a Patek out in the wild.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Spaceview - really good info, thanks for sharing. TVDinner - nice synopsis. Good job guys! I really enjoy reading about the watchmaking corporate background/history.

·
6,396 Posts
Spaceview - really good info, thanks for sharing. TVDinner - nice synopsis. Good job guys! I really enjoy reading about the watchmaking corporate background/history.
Ditto! Had read the article on Zite and was preparing to post it myself. Too late of course. :D

Reactions: tardis

·
Super Moderator
14,608 Posts
You know it's incredible Marc ! Knew just mostly about Swatch, and Seiko, and maybe a little about Citizen here. ..So so cool sir !!! :cool: :cool: :smile-thumb: Always end up learning new things about this hobby every day sir. Thanks so much for all of this info ! Really is something to see. :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
yea! oooowooo swatch group has more market share than any other! impressive! but when it comes to manufacturing! lacoste or citizen produce more watches than any other brand every year! i guess

·
3,979 Posts
Perhaps I overlooked it, but quartz watches comprize 82% of watches sold
World wide.
Did I miss seeing that Citizen Miyota acquired Bulova in 2008?
Or Invicta acquiring TechnoMarine this year?

X traindriver Art

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
The group that is the king of the hill with the most high, high end brands is the Richmont Group, with these, Vacheron Constantin, A. Lange & Söhne, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Roger Dubuis, Piaget, IWC Schaffhausen, Officine Panerai

1 - 20 of 27 Posts