Watch Freeks banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
1,131 Posts
That's a whole new tritium watch for less than tritium replacement cost. This is a ridiculous situation. I did get the watch cheap since its 10-15 years old, but it's the principle of the thing. :cautious:
I understand totally. One factor to consider is that your model has many more tubes then the Deep Blue, 63 compared to about 15... so 4 times as many...

·
1,131 Posts
By the way there are other Tritium models from Deep Blue, here are a couple of the ones I had, definitely bright lume on these and similar tubes to the Ball but a fraction of the price.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

·
Oris Freek
3,819 Posts
First of all the best tritium tubes are made by Microtech which is in Switzerland. You can buy them from ebay, Ali-Baba express and a multitude of places. I had one go bad on a Android watch I have. I got one from ebay but when the job was done. It was brighter than all the rest. So, as you mentioned previous. You probably need to have the whole dial done.
Unless you're gonna take a shot at doing it yourself. A new watch would probably be your best option. Good luck.
Note the 3 o'clock tube in the picture below.

·
Oris Freek
3,819 Posts
I can’t help, but this reminded me there’s a show on Netflix about radium and the preview showed a bunch of women sitting around putting lume on watches. Looked ‘40s era. If I see it again I’ll reply here.
The name of the movie is Radium Girls. I posted about it about a year ago. Very interesting movie about how luminesent dials started on watches. They lied to the employees. Paid them like a penny a dial. To this day if you put a geiger counter over one of their graves it will go nuts for the next thousand years. Sad story really. But very interesting.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I got an estimate back from Watch Repairs USA and the price is high because they replace the dial and hands...not just the tubes. Obviously they have to get dials and hands from Ball. Ball controls the price.
$299 for dial and $99 for hands (installed).
I should have a nice bright watch in about 6 weeks though. Looking forward to it.

·
Super Moderator
14,317 Posts
I got an estimate back from Watch Repairs USA and the price is high because they replace the dial and hands...not just the tubes. Obviously they have to get dials and hands from Ball. Ball controls the price.
I should have a nice bright watch in about 6 weeks though. Looking forward to it.
Hey that is amazing news Tom ! 😀😮

Honestly wasn’t sure everything would work out, and had
my fingers crossed that it would. But am so relieved to hear
that you indeed will have this wonder back on the wrist now. 😉

I know it wasn’t easy trying to get this watch fixed. But at
least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. (y)(y)

Want to thank you for giving us the update sir !!!

·
Oris Freek
3,819 Posts
Very happy for you. I think you got a great deal and saved a sweet watch. Here's to another 23 years.😁

21 - 27 of 27 Posts