Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was in the mall today and my wife was in some store that I found boring so I walked around a bit and peeked into one of the large jewelry chains as they had a nice display of Citizens at 25% off. Even at that discount they wanted about $520 dollars for the SkyHawk A-T I've been eying. Later we were in Kohl's and I made my normal swing by the watches. The same watch was in the mid-$450 plus tax with the on sale discount and the additional 15% off Kohl's coupon. They also would have given us about $80 in Kohl's cash if I had bought it. Now I know that on line the same watch is about $350 with free shipping and no tax.

My question is, "Why would anyone buy it any other place then from a reputable on-line seller? "

·
Registered
241 Posts
imported post

Most jewelry chains will hate me, but I preview watches at the store and then scour the web for the best price. I have purchased from a Brick and Morter, but it has been a while.

·
Registered
261 Posts
imported post

The only reasons I could see buying from a B&M store would be:

1. You want (or need) to have it imediately (maybe for a gift)
2. You like to support local businesses
3. You don't know any better

Obviously, if you got a great price on it, that would be a reason too!

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I agree with using the mall shops as a preview. I like to see the watches up close. You can see them on-line or TV but it is not the same as holding the watch against or on the wrist and getting a feel for it. But part of me also needs to shop for a good price. Paying full retail is not in my nature. That is one reason why I'm willing to wait 6-12 months after a new model is introduced to pick up the same piece at a discount. I did make an exception for the Android Concept T Retrograde but my wife is giving it to me for Christmas so I (she) bought it when it came out.

DingBat wrote:
Most jewelry chains will hate me, but I preview watches at the store and then scour the web for the best price. I have purchased from a Brick and Morter, but it has been a while.

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

Well, most of the stuff I buy offline comes from TJ MAXX. I've gotten Zodiacs, Stuhrlings, Crotons and Invictas from there at ridiculous prices.

Online it's Amazon, Overstock, Ashford, Blingdaily, Chronoshark, Yourdreamizhere and ShopNBC (of course)

Never had to send anything back because I didn't like it.

Only recieved one bad Invicta (sent for repair, movement)

All and all been very happy with everything.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I've bought a Pro Diver from TJ MAXX (about 3 years ago), otherwise, all my watches have been bought (or traded for) online . . . eBay, ShopNBC, internet forums (trades), and places like WOW, Amazon, Overstock, etc.

I suppose that ultimately, price and ease of purchase lead to my online buying.

·
Registered
76 Posts
imported post

Well...as for watch bands the only way to buy is online. The jewelry and department stores have a very, very limited selection and what they do have is at full retail price. They do not know much about watch bands and are not really interested in selling them. They want to sell watches and jewelry where the big dollars are. At Strapped For Time straps are our ONLY business. We have over 6,000 bands in stock and are experts in the field. We are always happy to answer any questions that you have. Also, if you need a type of strap that we do not stock we are always happy to order it for you. Please visit our site at http://www.strappedfortime.com

As a way of saying hello, we are offering all members of WatchFreeks a 10%Pre-Christmasdiscount now through December 24th. This discount only applies to IN STOCK items and NOT special orders or custom orders. Please enter the code WatchFreeks10 during checkout to receive the discount. We are happy to be a new member of the WatchFreeks forum. Please let us know if you have any questions. We are here to assist you with your strap needs. Please visit our site athttp://www.strappedfortime.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
imported post

It really depends on the watch as to where I will buy. In the past years, up until this past summer I purchased a good number of watches from the ShopNBC website, many times during airing, but now the only brands that I will purchase from the Shop, when they have them, are Phillip, Chase Durer, and NFW. Phillip probably will appear there again sometime, but Chase Durer probably will not, and NFW is best bought directly from George. So that means extremely limited Shop buying.

My watch likes have changed to the higher quailty Swiss brands, and while I cannot afford nearly as many of these watches per year as I could buy many more watches when I was buying the cheaper stuff, I will be most happy to getmaybe only 2 or 3 new watches per year now. As I have posted in another thread, I currently have several high end Swiss watches in my collection of 92 watches, so adding 2 or 3 per year is fine, I have enough watches already --- and yes, I do wear most of them but wear some much more than others.

A good brand Swiss watch, like Ball, Breitling, Oris, Omega (4 of my favorites -- no more Rolex, love 'em, got 3 of them, but can no longer afford them) I will usually search out the watch online first, read about it, determine what model I really want, then locate a local AD and go there to look at the watch and feel it and handle it and try it on. There is no lack of ADs in LA for just about every good Swiss watch on the planet, so finding an AD is not an issue. Many of them will not deal, but some of them, due to the largecompetition will cut their prices for you, and some will even match online prices.

Of course, I will contiinue buy Phillip, Chase Durer, and Zodiac (3 of my favorite brands, but only when some of these brands appear on the Shop or other online retailers, which is seldom, with the exception of Zodiac (MetroWatch gives the greatest deals on super watches) and I will buy directly from George anotherNFW.

·
Long Time Member
172 Posts
imported post

I go against the grain I guess.

I generally buy from authorised dealers if I can get a good price-and more ofter than not I do.

A few extra dollars is well worth it for a manufacturers warranty and the after sales service and support offered by AD's.

Once in a great while I'll pick something up online,but never a major purchase. (500.00 or more)

I would never buy from a television show based on what I have read at other forums.

But the bottom line is everyone is spending their own $$ and as long as they are happy it doesn't matter where it came from.

·
Long Time Member
172 Posts
imported post

Karl wrote:
Inkablockhead I've only bought my watches from Shop and never had a problem.
Hopefully your rate of success will continue.

Nothing wrong with it as long as you're happy with it.

I would suggest that you check other sites and visit an AD if one is available just to get a feel for what else is out there.

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

Tucson Gem Show, great deals, pay cash better deals. All purchases I've made at the Gem show are from reputable dealers, with full warranty. Which I needed to use only once, and the company paid for shipping both ways.
ShopNBC and Overstock.com

·
Administrator
11,456 Posts
If I buy from an online seller, it needs to be a trusted seller and not some webpage with a good price.

The only time that I worry about buying from an AD is when warranty does not transfer upon sale...like Doxa. My Doxa 1200T was bought LNIB preowned and it was a less than a month old. I got a good price, so I was okay with buying without warranty...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.