Watch Freeks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when ETA cease supplying parts to other makers, where will we get replacement parts for 2824-2?

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Do you know how many are out there?
If you can still source parts for a 1910 American made pocket watch, I don't think you have to worry about the 2824

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am not an expert in watches. However, it seems to me that after ETA implements their plan to not sell movements outside of the Swatch Group family of watches, we will see a rise in value of non-Swatch group watches that use ETA movements.
Does anyone think this could happen?
It seems to me that watches that use ETA and are second and third tier watches, but are still quality watches, would go up in value and desire. With these watches being rather cheap on the secondary market (at least right now), they are seen as a bargain for those wanting a nice dependable watch at a low price that says “Swiss made” and use at auto movement.
But as the the supply of the ETA movements dries up, 2 thing are bound to happen: the demand for theses second and third tier goes up as supply dwindles, and the cost of these watches currently using the ETA movements will rise due to some ofthe brands designing and building in house movements.
This idea of desirability and price going up as supply goes down, among quality products that have less “cachet” than the established brands is seen in other industries.
High quality Japanese made guitars of the late 70’s and early 80’s were as good (some say better) than the established guitars from Gibson, Fender, Etc. Throughout the 80’s and 90’s, one could still get one of these guitars on the secondary market for a very low price. But as people got wise to the quality and as they are not making any more 1979 model year Ibanez Road STar guitars, the prices are now pretty much collector’s prices.
I think there is a good chance we will see these watches follow the same trend.
But I could be wrong....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts