Watch Freeks banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I sit here and wonder what has happened to me. I have a nice collection of watches but asked myself when do you stop buying. I love every watch I have. From the cheap China watches to the Swiss Made watches. My Wife asked me as I was opening the package from Shop with 7 new watches, when will I have too many watches. I could not answer that question. We counted all my watches from inexpensive to expensive. I have over 120 watches now. (update 21 watches received this week and 14 ordered on closeouts on SNBC. 155 and counting). I just can not stop buying. It does not infringe on our living money.

My Wife and I want for nothing. We prefer each others company over others. We have been together for 42 years. I make Lobster with King Crab Leg side dish at least twice a month. My Wife cooks up a wonderful Ribeye steak at least three times a month. We have Asian food at least 4 times a month. We both have bad backs so we prefer to watch TV movies together and snuggle on the couch. I pay both of my Daughters Cell phone bill each month to help them out. This weekend I/We will take our Granddaughter out shopping for winter clothes. We set a $400.00 budget on clothes and $100.00 for any what-knots she may need. So money is not a problem, time with my loved ones is not a problem but my Wife is a problem.

She likes the Shop watch shows also. She is always telling me I should get this or that one. She has a good start on a nice collection also. We gift many watches to friends at the Holidays. So, in my case when is 1 more 1 too many? I guess when we loose the thrill of opening the package of the day and no longer get fuzzy all over when we both go through all the watch storage drawers and towers. Each of us has that little bell or whistle that goes off when we are out of control. It's just some people choose to ignore the loud ringing in our ears.

When do you quit buying? NO more room, money, new designs, complications you like or what. Do you have to wear all of them or are some just to admire and look at for awhile? Or do you just keep on buying. I just paid for 12 more watches from a fellow Freek and can't wait to get them and give them a good home. Paid for one on E-bay and just got 9 grab bags of one Man's watch in each. Unknown what I will get but just the thrill of getting them will keep me warm and fuzzy for a week.

Why should I stop?
Why would I want to stop?
Why would I want more?

Please add your comments and Yes I know I have a small problem..

CARL

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

For me it is always about available money. If I do not have it, or know I need the $$ for something else, then there is no watch in the world that I will/can buy.

My entire outlook on spending COMPLETELY changed when my son was born 3 years ago, and again this past month when my daughter was born. There are just expenses now that can not be put off, or deferred and MUST be covered first, and before any obsession of mine, like watches.

I hate that $$ is such a dominating and deciding factor in something I love so much, like watches, but that was one of the main reasons I started this forum in the first place. I honestly love reading about other watches, watches people are getting, or ones I dream to own someday.

BUT that being said - the "when is 1 watch 1 too many" is always when something is needed for my children or wife or life first.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

WELL SAID MY FRIEND - I COULDNT HAVE PUT IT BETTER!!!

TVDinner wrote:
For me it is always about available money. If I do not have it, or know I need the $$ for something else, then there is no watch in the world that I will/can buy.

My entire outlook on spending COMPLETELY changed when my son was born 3 years ago, and again this past month when my daughter was born. There are just expenses now that can not be put off, or deferred and MUST be covered first, and before any obsession of mine, like watches.

I hate that $$ is such a dominating and deciding factor in something I love so much, like watches, but that was one of the main reasons I started this forum in the first place. I honestly love reading about other watches, watches people are getting, or ones I dream to own someday.

BUT that being said - the "when is 1 watch 1 too many" is always when something is needed for my children or wife or life first.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

For me i have 2 boxes with like 35+ watches and i seem to be struggling with this many watches

i would prefer to have a bakers dozen (13) than a bunch sitting in a box noever to be worn

i am always re-assessing my collection

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I would love to just keep buying and buying, but like James I have to buy first for my family and then the living expenses and if there is anything left over, well then watch out Ha Ha LOL!! (No Pun intended LOL)

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Hi Carl, it seems that your enjoyment of collecting timepieces does not cause problems at home, which is important. You wife supports you in collecting and it brings you enjoyment. There are people who spend and have nothing to show for it. You spend and have an awesome collection. I think one more is too much when you stop looking forward toa new watch arriving.Just my two cents. ....Bob

·
Registered
281 Posts
imported post

I think Kristie and I got to the point where we had too many. There were times when we would come across one and say "When did we get this? Never knew we had it"...that was too many for us.

We have been thinning down the collection quite a bit and have a few more to go. Now we are near to having a collection of ones we really want and will wear.

No more of the "well we may not wear it, but the price sure is good" for us.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

Guess it depends on you when another watch is to many.How many mystery bags did you order?My mom used to go to flea markets.Then one day she snapped and went on a buying spree from hell.My dad had to cut up her cards and rip up her checkbook.Then he had to build a garage for all of the crap she bought, like 4 cases of plastic kazoos.Buying is fun until it becomes compulsive behavior.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

dedward wrote:
Guess it depends on you when another watch is to many.How many mystery bags did you order?My mom used to go to flea markets.Then one day she snapped and went on a buying spree from hell.My dad had to cut up her cards and rip up her checkbook.Then he had to build a garage for all of the crap she bought, like 4 cases of plastic kazoos.Buying is fun until it becomes compulsive behavior.
I just busted out laughing reading that. Are you sure were not brothers with the same mom? LOL:%:%:%:%:lol

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
imported post

I plan on getting a display case that holds 20 and never having more than it will hold. If I reach 20 and add a piece to my wishlist then I'll have to get rid of one before I can buy the new one. I hope I can hold myself to this. I can't Imagine 155+ watches. That means that if you had a daily rotation, most of your watches would only get worn twice a year. Thats amazing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.