Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

For me it was a recent thing. I never knew there was such a large subculture dedicated to just watches! It was when I started learning about the different parts of the watch that I became really interested, and I hope to learn more!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I have always had a love for timepieces since I was a young boy. Every Christmas I would find the coolest watch out there and then ask my parents or Santa for it. My watch collecting started with Casio watches and now 25 years later it consists mostly of automatic/mechanical timepieces. My collection consists of almost every available automatic movement out there. Horology is a field that offers so much to learn. I would say that the movement of a watch is what intrigues me the most. It is always nice to get an awesome movement along with a cool case/dial design.

·
Registered
767 Posts
imported post

Me too- I fell in love w/watches when I was about 5 years old. My grandfather had a pretty impressive collection- he always seemed to have a different watch on everyday. He'd let me hold them- I was usually impressed with the heaviest ones. He had a Wittnauer auto diver that seemed to weigh a ton! He also had a bunch of Accutrons, a Datejust and a handful of Elgin and Hamilton pocket watches, which I was lucky enough to inherit. Every time I hold any one of them (the Wittnauer, in particular), I get taken back to those special times when my Gramp and I would talk watches. God, I miss that man, but my collecting timepieces seems to be a way that I can still feel connected to him. In fact, my father, upon noticing my growing collection, recently told me how much I remind him of his father, right down to his love of timepieces. Needless to say, the resemblence was an honor.

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

I can not say my father or anyone in my family was a collector or anything like that, but I can clearly remember when I was younger loving to look at the different casio watches and then many of the Swatch, Fossil and other brands that a young kid could possibly have. Swatch was really the first brand I can clearly remember wanting a lot of and wanting to learn more about. I used to have a bunch of them in all different colors. I wish I still had them, but collecting was never the thinking back then. I always like LOTS of different ones and wanted as many as I could have (on the really limited budget of a teenager with no real income).

Funny thing is that when I was young I had many of the Casio digital crazy ones and some of the early generation much smaller g-shock like watches. And now I really don't like digital or Ani Digital watches at all. Funny how I switched my tastes.

I also used to have gold or gold colored watches. Now I have none and only like silver or black watches. So my tastes have changed over the years.

I would say I really became interested in watches again seriously right after college when I had some money and was working. My then girlfriend bought me a Tag and it was at the time so much nicer of a watch then I had ever owned. I wish I still had that watch also, but again, I was not thinking having more then one watch at a time then either. In the past 10 years I have really started to take better care of my watches and enjoy actually having more then one (or 10, lol) in my collection.

·
Registered
767 Posts
imported post

Hey James- I was into Swatches, too, haha. I must've had 10 of them. I remember wearing 3 at a time, staggered, in middle school- as ridiculous as it is now, it was cool at the time. Plus, they were plastic, so they wouldn't scratch when they rubbed together. Swatch made millions on those pieces; I think they sold for $25-30, and probably only cost 25 cents to make! I even had the guards to protect the crystal (more like plexiglass).

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

BIGtime wrote:
Hey James- I was into Swatches, too, haha. I must've had 10 of them. I remember wearing 3 at a time, staggered, in middle school- as ridiculous as it is now, it was cool at the time. Plus, they were plastic, so they wouldn't scratch when they rubbed together. Swatch made millions on those pieces; I think they sold for $25-30, and probably only cost 25 cents to make! I even had the guards to protect the crystal (more like plexiglass).
yup, I had white ones, black ones, red ones and blue ones, lol

Everyone had them at one time as I remember it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . I remember always having a Japanese quartz.

I started to get after older Timex, Waltham and Milbros autos in the early 80's. I had scads of them . . . gathered them every where I went . . . I have a few left still.

I'm a fierce pack-rat . . . . and rarely let loose of anything. At least I rarely ever sell anything, I do give away a ton of stuff . . . .

I recently picked up the bug again and started to accumulate watches all over again.

I have always collected something . . . cars,motorcycles,ashtrays,service station equipment,traffic signals,racing art, oil cans,gas cans,lighters,penguins,die cast cars,rc cars. . . .

My wife is VERY understanding. . . . when you get tothe point that you have 40-50 vintage dirt bikes, and she understands . . . . that, is love!!!!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
imported post

That IS love, Randy- 50 dirt bikes- holy cow! You must have a lot of room at your house. I should have a lot of room, but to my wife's dismay, I'm also a pack rat- she's constantly mocking me for it. I tend to get attached to things- if I have a memory w/something, it stays! We had bulk pickup (garbage) last week. At the very last minute, I see my wife putting an old, useless surf board near the garage to throw out- I don't even surf, but refused to part with it. My son likes to stand on it once in a while and pretend he's surfing- that's good enough for me- IT STAYS! I must have 100 or so other random things like the board that I just can't part with. Oh well, once a pack rat...

·
Administrator
11,456 Posts
imported post

This is the timepiece that started my fascination with watches

This is a clock from a Navy Ship. My dad picked it up when he was stationed in Pensicola at flight training for the Marines. It is in its orginial condition, never polished and has all of the inspection stickers...etc.

It still works great and I use it as a paperweight in my office. Great piece and great memories!

·
Registered
261 Posts
imported post

I don't remember ever not being into watches. The first watch I can remember buying was a "Zorro" watch from the local drug store (back in the 60s). My father would sometimes give me a cool watch when we would spend the summers together. Over the years, I probably had a dozen or so watches, gifts and such, but always just one or two at a time. When they had "passed on" they would just be thrown away.

About 2 years ago, I woke up one day and said "You idiot! Since you love watches so much, why don't you start buying some!" For once, I took my own advice and now I own 30 or so. I can't believe that I used to throw away watches! Forgive me fellow Freeks - I swear I'll never do it again!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I guess my fascination with my Grandfather's watches was where it started. As a kid, I can remember being mesmerized by the ticking sounds of his wind-up (Railroad) watches and the "skeleton" dials of his Accutron Spaceview(s).

As I suffered through the Japanese quartz/LED "experience" in the 1980s, I remember telling myself that I WOULD earn the kind of money it took to get a nice Swiss timepiece.

So, I decided to change careers in the early 1990s and went back to school. Finally, I could earn the money it would take to get my first Swiss Made timepiece . . . a vintage Rolex. I bought that first Air-King, and the rest is history. :)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

I would have to say it was with my very first mechanical Timex I got for a birthday present on my 8th birthday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
imported post

I wore Casio for most of my life. I looked at a Tag Huer once and started liking watches. Then my wife bought me an Invicta and I've been nuts ever since. To me the Invicta seems better anyways!

Karl

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

My father was a regional manager for Zales back in the 1970's. One day he came home wearing an Accutron Spaceview. I've been hooked ever since. Someday I'll be able to get one, not yet. I pay tribute to my father and the watch with my Avatar. It has only been the last couple of years that I started collecting and only the last year or 2 that I have really become obsessed with collecting. I started joining forums and buying and trading watches. Still most low end stuff but my plan for 2010 is to save my money and buy less watches but a higher quality.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.