Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To tell the time right? Perhaps once, but I think these days that’s no longer the top of the list, because if it were then we’d all still wear the £10 Casio digitals we bought as kids.

Time for a poll I think; what’s the reason you bought, are buying or are looking at watches?

Here's my reason - because I could, and here's my photographic evidence:

·
Registered
517 Posts
My response is that anybody who belongs to this forum and posts blogs about watches in this forum or reads blogs about watches in this forum has a wee bit of a little bitty problem.

:ballchain:

I have a wee bit of a little problem myself, ok that's a big fat lie, I have a big problem. I have ten on top of my dresser, ten more in my closet, and another eight in my sock drawer, and on any given day a couple of those are up for sale so I can make room for another one I saw somewhere that I decided I cannot live without.

:be polite:

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
I buy watches because I love the hobby. I am a certified watch enthusiast. Not a collector. I buy watches to wear and enjoy them, not to save them and bring them out only to display them. They are a passion. I wear a different watch everyday, some days more than one. I am turned on first by style and then I like uniqueness. I tend not to be attracted as much to the "name" brands. Owning a Rolex is not that important to me. You can get an idea of my eclectic taste in my signature line below. I'm always looking, not buying much anymore. I am amazed by the technology of the smartwatches at the moment. They have improved so much since I bought the Kickstarter Pebble. Now I wear my MOTO 360 in a regular rotation, but it can be almost any watch you want it to be on a given day. Fun, fun, fun.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I buy watches because I love the hobby. I am a certified watch enthusiast. Not a collector. I buy watches to wear and enjoy them, not to save them and bring them out only to display them. They are a passion. I wear a different watch everyday, some days more than one. I am turned on first by style and then I like uniqueness. I tend not to be attracted as much to the "name" brands. Owning a Rolex is not that important to me. You can get an idea of my eclectic taste in my signature line below. I'm always looking, not buying much anymore. I am amazed by the technology of the smartwatches at the moment. They have improved so much since I bought the Kickstarter Pebble. Now I wear my MOTO 360 in a regular rotation, but it can be almost any watch you want it to be on a given day. Fun, fun, fun.....
YES! that's the answer I was looking for, and it's the same with cars! otherwise we'd all drive a white prius

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Such a neat question Lorne, and couldn't agree more with the guys honestly. :) Like with Marc, it's about the hobby with me too, and in a strange way isn't about telling time. I mean it is, but that's just the cherry on top of a incredibly cool cake of watches, and the hobby itself.

The reason to buy a watch for many people is just to tell the time, but I think that's why a lot of those people aren't into the hobby, or maybe don't
understand why we enjoy watches so much. That's why they say when you want another watch. .."Don't you already have a watch?" "Or have enough watches?"

For me, and I guess for most of us. We buy watches because we love the little things, and big things about watches. The way a case, dial, or bezel is. How the movement works, or what type it is. How something classic, or totally new is done on a watch that catches your eye. We just enjoy them ! ..We enjoy the many styles, and variations. The modern, and the vintage. All of the companies small, and large, past, and present. Traditional, or funky. Really doesn't matter. ..Guess I just like, or love the hobby, and that's even if I'm not buying a watch. :anim_63:

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
This either calls for a 16-page paper or a very short reply :D My fascination for watches started at age 9 and it has never ended. My taste has narrowed to mechanical dive watches but I like almost all watches, old and new. Am I a collector? That depends on the definition but I do wear my watches and try to wear another one every week. The past decade the death of the (mechanical) wrist watch has been predicted many a time but they're still here and the 'big guns' are bringing out new models and new complications every year!

Reactions: ganson

·
Registered
489 Posts
THIS.

In addition to what's been said, all the watches in my collection had a reason why it was acquired or is kept. Some were given (The Glycine from the wife, for example), others because I LOVED the styling and the looks, and yet some still, for their quirkiness and "off the beaten path" uniqueness (I was looking at my Poljot mechanical alarm as I typed that last part).

I have to admit, there have been a few pieces that I really wanted in the first place but ended up selling or giving as gifts as they didn't have the same appeal as when I first saw them. Buying online can sometimes do that, but that's the nature of the enthusiasm. Despite that, there's a certain level of joy and excitement when you receive a watch in the mail and wearing it for the first time. For me, the same experience extends when wearing a watch that I haven't worn in a long while (as is the case with my Vostok Amphibia). It's like reconnecting with an old friend; a reminiscing of the reason why you have such a piece in the collection.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ohh that one is purdy, I can afford it.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
with me the passion just started overnight like turning on a light switch. Don't know why it started or how I'm just here for the ride.

·
Registered
618 Posts

How did you get certified?

Was it a long process?

Were there exams involved?

:D

OP: I buy watches because I like watches. Kind of an odd question :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
For me, is what pulls at the heart strings. If I see it, and it gives me this feeling of i have to have it with me, then I work to get it. It's kind of the reason I want a fast rider black shield instead of a Daytona. The Daytona is a gorgeous watch, but the colors, the ceramic case, and the overall aura I get from the black shield calls to me more. It's also kind of the reason I was more excited about wearing my timex chronograph over all the other watches I bought in that lot. Of all of them, that one pulled at my heart strings the most.

It's the same reason I buy and build my project cars. It just called to me. It made me feel like I needed it in my life. Lol.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I don't know exactly. I love the jewelry aspect of it: the uniqueness of owning a piece of mechanical or electro-mechanical functional art, the craftsmanship and raw engineering talent that went into building the device.

Both of my expensive watches were purchased after two particularly big (at least to me) professional accomplishments. On the many days I am very discouraged I can look at my watch and remember the progress I've made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: #four

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The starting point is that I need to be able to tell the time at a glance in a variety of locations and during a variety of activities. The wristwatch is simply the best tool that has been devised to fill that need.

From there, it's all about appreciation. I appreciate the amazing array of variations that designers have come up with on the standard clock dial layout, not to mention the variety of materials and finishes.

I want a watch that is practical and simple, but which within those constraints still has a certain "something" about its design and build that sets it apart from other watches. And the price tag is no guarantor of a watch having that certain "something."

I hope that made sense...

·
Registered
119 Posts
The only jewellery I wear is my wedding ring and my watch.
I don't wear the same clothes everyday, so I don't wear the same watch. The watch I wear either compliments my clothes or the activities of the day.
Why? It just floats my boat. Some people see big money in Ming vases. I see something to put flowers in. It'd be boring if we all liked the same things.

In this world, you have to take pleasure where you find it.

I find it in watches. Now, what to put on today, decisions descisions

·
Registered
97 Posts
The starting point is that I need to be able to tell the time at a glance in a variety of locations and during a variety of activities. The wristwatch is simply the best tool that has been devised to fill that need.

From there, it's all about appreciation. I appreciate the amazing array of variations that designers have come up with on the standard clock dial layout, not to mention the variety of materials and finishes.

I want a watch that is practical and simple, but which within those constraints still has a certain "something" about its design and build that sets it apart from other watches. And the price tag is no guarantor of a watch having that certain "something."

I hope that made sense...

Very well said! My thoughts exactly

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I bought my first dive watch in 1997. I also had another dress watch I wore daily with suites. That was it. I've always liked watches, but never fell into the "trap" until a year ago. Now I have a total of 10. How did it happen? Still not really sure. Maybe if you ask my wife why she has so many pairs of boots and shoes. If it makes you happy then go for it. Life's too short, or maybe I just like shiny objects.;)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Every man needs a hobby. This is one gives me joy and is a diversion from my day-to-day stresses.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts