Watch Freeks banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
imported post

The design itself of this watch, in terms of the chronometer itself and the plating, is quite nice. I like it. But, the numbers on the face seem a bit too big for my tastes. They look glow-in-the-dark as well (in a bad way, as if they belong on a kid's watch). If they could re-release it with more humble numbering, it would be perfect!

·
Registered
8 Posts
imported post

FWIW, when I stumbled across a website selling Parnis "Größe Fliegeruhren", ...
[align=center]

________[/align]
... I soon noticed a model that, although 'sterile-dialed', still couldn't hide it's 'true identity' ...
... To illustrate this point, I spent some 'serious GIMP time' ...

... editing, collating, and animating some of the website's images! ...

[align=center]
[/align]______

FYI, the above 'homage' (w/Asian HW Mov't visible in exhib. caseback) is only $100! ...
... And THAT amount is one heckava LOT less than its IWC 'twin cousin'; i.e., ...
... THIS gorgeous 44mm IWC from their "Vintage Collection" ...

[align=center]
[/align]______

BTW, a few years back, I'd 'label' the homage as 'junk', ... (pun intended!) ...
... but, with the on-going improvement in Chinese movements, ...
... I'd have to say that, IMHO, this one may be worth a closer look; i.e., ...

... especially if you're interested in SAVING $4,900 smackaroo's ...

______

... OH! BTW, IMHO, the 'diamond crown' on the $100 homage is world's BETTER ...
... than the 'tiny serrated wheel' on the $5,000 original! ~ What's up with THAT? ... :eek:
______

So, what are YOUR 'timely thoughtZ' on this situation? ...
If I plan on keeping it an never sell it, I would buy it. I like it when another brand makes the effort to try to develop something very close to the original. The original fliegers were too big: 55mm and were meant on be worn on a flight jacket sleeve. And had straight lugs not curled like the modern ones. Back then they were in a hurry to make government owned tools. And they looked it. After every flight the crew had to turn in the watches till they flew another mission. If they were meant for general public consumers they would look nicer and be more comfortable and smaller. For today? You want the modern look, ie smaller and with curled lugs and brushed finish. Back then they were plain and ugly: sand blasted. Why? so they don't reflect and betray you should you get shot down, and survive and have to maneuver behind enemy lines to get to your team. WW2 fliegers were that: loaned government tools, you could not keep them.

I still like the onion or diamond shaped crown. Its functional and it was meant to be used with pilot wearing gloves. So I am glad the homage added that nice touch and blued the hands. The sterile dial is what the German government wanted at the time. Another nice touch on modern pieces to make them similar to historical.

·
Super Moderator
1,408 Posts
If I plan on keeping it an never sell it, I would buy it. I like it when another brand makes the effort to try to develop something very close to the original. The original fliegers were too big: 55mm and were meant on be worn on a flight jacket sleeve. And had straight lugs not curled like the modern ones. Back then they were in a hurry to make government owned tools. And they looked it. After every flight the crew had to turn in the watches till they flew another mission. If they were meant for general public consumers they would look nicer and be more comfortable and smaller. For today? You want the modern look, ie smaller and with curled lugs and brushed finish. Back then they were plain and ugly: sand blasted. Why? so they don't reflect and betray you should you get shot down, and survive and have to maneuver behind enemy lines to get to your team. WW2 fliegers were that: loaned government tools, you could not keep them.

I still like the onion or diamond shaped crown. Its functional and it was meant to be used with pilot wearing gloves. So I am glad the homage added that nice touch and blued the hands. The sterile dial is what the German government wanted at the time. Another nice touch on modern pieces to make them similar to historical.
A sterile dial was wanted by all governments, one theory as to why is that, if captured, the enemy could not identify the country of origin of the person wearing it (the exception being Swiss as they were neutral). That may or may not be actually true.

I too have what I think is a Parnis floating around in a desk somewhere. It's finish is ok, however when winding the movement you can actually feel the gears grinding against each other, so the movement is not the greatest in terms of quality.

Were I looking for a Flieger, I would go for a Laco or Stowa. Yes, they are more expensive, but they will likely last longer... Plus, you can get Lacos in multiple sizes (up to 55mm) and either as hand wound or automatic. Even Steinhart offers a few different Fleiger, although their prices are near to what Stowa and Laco charge (+/- €1'000)

·
Registered
8 Posts
A sterile dial was wanted by all governments, one theory as to why is that, if captured, the enemy could not identify the country of origin of the person wearing it (the exception being Swiss as they were neutral). That may or may not be actually true.

I too have what I think is a Parnis floating around in a desk somewhere. It's finish is ok, however when winding the movement you can actually feel the gears grinding against each other, so the movement is not the greatest in terms of quality.

Were I looking for a Flieger, I would go for a Laco or Stowa. Yes, they are more expensive, but they will likely last longer... Plus, you can get Lacos in multiple sizes (up to 55mm) and either as hand wound or automatic. Even Steinhart offers a few different Fleiger, although their prices are near to what Stowa and Laco charge (+/- €1'000)
Actually you can get the Steinhart for less than $600. AND the use the ETA 2824 and the Unitas movements.
By the way, the number were meant to be big. They were intended for pilots and navigators to quickly glance at the wrist. The sterile dials were so the flight crew had no distractions. The Fliegers were business only tools.

·
Super Moderator
1,408 Posts
Actually you can get the Steinhart for less than $600. AND the use the ETA 2824 and the Unitas movements.
By the way, the number were meant to be big. They were intended for pilots and navigators to quickly glance at the wrist. The sterile dials were so the flight crew had no distractions. The Fliegers were business only tools.
Indeed you can get it for around USD 600. Steinhart uses a ETA Unitas 6497-1 (for the 47mm version) or, for the smaller versions, an ETA 2824 or Sellita SW 200 (more likely the later they days since ETA has clamped down on selling movements outside of Swatch Group).

And yes, they were so large so they could be easily visible / read while flying, especially in a very dark and cold cockpit. Flieger watches today are almost purely fashion statements, hence the difference sizes to fit different sized wrists.

·
Registered
8 Posts

The base Lacos use Miyota movements. The upper price point Lacos use all swiss movements.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts