Watch Freeks banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the meaning of hacking seconds?

watch makers claim their models have hacking seconds. I am not an expert in horology.

·
13,313 Posts
When you pull the crown out to the hand setting position, the second hand stops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
To expand a bit more - this is to allow precise setting of the time to the second. May be obvious but I thought I would add.

Reactions: #four

·
Registered
99 Posts
No it just stops. Typically you stop the second hand at the 12 position. Allows one to set an exact minute. With a hacking movement, when you pull out the crown to the time set position the second hand stops. Wherever it stops is where it stays until you push the crown back in. With a non-hacking movement, the second hand does not stop in any crown position so long as the watch has power remaining, of course.

·
Watch Freek
174 Posts
In our house growing up, it meant that someone was hungry enough to tear into an additional helping of food at the dinner table. Ahem...sorry.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Most Seiko 5s are non hacking. At least, the ones with the 7S26C movement. I'm not sure of what else, though.

Many newer models from the Seiko 5 line have moved up to the 4R36 and similar movements that have hacking and hand-winding features. I'd bet it won't be too much longer before Seiko retires the 7S movements for everything but the bargain basement models.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
It's kind of a big deal for mechanical watches unless it's a hand wind ETA, Miyota 8215 or a classic Seiko (all excused!)

Considering that all Quartz watches hack you wouldn't think it would be that important... But it is to a WatchFreek! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
389 Posts
You're dead on Ganson. I live my snk805 and my SNXS75, but seeing those are such a pain. I can get my SNK805 to "back hack" or get the second hand to spin backwards or stop, but the watch runs a little slow. Might get it adjusted. I can't get the SNXS75 to stop at all, but that watch is at -5 sec a week!!!! So I don't worry about it. Too much. Although I do like the tiny 4 o'clock crown, I don't think they'd do hand winding with it. Would kinda suck if they did retire the 7s movement completely. Kills a little of the Seiko 5 charm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts