Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What in your opinion is currently the world's best automatic movement. Not the most expensive. The best. I'm looking for backed up reasoning not just a movement.

For me it's ETA's 2824. Winding, hacking, rock solid durability, reliability, 25 jewels, 28,800 bph and very affordable. It will out live your grand kids and consistently keep time (once tweaked) to around 8+/- seconds a day.

Not sure what else you could ask for. It's a hell of a movement.

·
Senior Freek
2,505 Posts
Seiko spring drive because it is the first major innovation in the escapement arena of watch movements since ... well, forever. Using current technology of quartz regulated time, blended with the old of a weighted oscillator to provide the power, and magnetic breaking to achieve a true sweeping second hand.

For me, hands down the "best" movement money can buy.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
A bowel movement!:laughing::laughing:

Seriously? Depends on what kind of complications the watch has... Lots of factors... Price, reaibility, accuracy... :rolleyes:

ETA 2824 is a good place to start though! Got several of those...

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
6,387 Posts
Anecdotally for me, for 28,00 bph movements, my Soprod A10 or an Miyota 9010, both Japanese designs.

For 21,00 bph a Seiko 6R15. also Japanese.

Funny none of the Swiss movements I have had come close in accuracy except the 2824-2 in my Longines LLD. The Japanese movements all wind easier then the 2824-2 or Sellitas, they wind as easy as my 2892s.

Now we are talking about just accurate, reliable movements that aren't the hand finished works of art like on a Patek, which is a completely different thing.

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Elaborate level 3
Of any eta 2824-7750
I.e. 2836 with DD or 2892/93 GMT's etc
In house like JR1000 for example is pretty damn nice and discounted heavily as many don't get the connection to GP

When you get into exotic best have money for maintenance

It's apples and oranges though. Some companies use off the shelf mvmts and some like Breitling remake them into works of art ( in a way, similar to blue printing auto engines)

·
8,170 Posts
I cannot answer this question because there are too many variables that are not addressed (best price/performance ratio, best durability, best performance, best accuracy, best decoration, best what?). And my knowledge of the subject is very limited.

Reactions: #four

·
Registered
407 Posts
Been reading about the. p3000 in the Panerai 1950 luminor. Cool. Also the Zenith El Primero 4052. I've heard it said more than once that the Valjoux 72 was the best movement they ever made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
Soprod A10 is Swiss as is my other favorite, the ETA 2892.
Great movement, but the A10 is actually based on the Seiko-Credor 4L movement, but sized/calibrated to be a drop in replacement for the ETA 2892. So, Swiss made, but Japan origins.

·
Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
Best movement? No such thing. Movements are tools to get a job done and have to be paired to the right watch to be of any use. I love my Seiko 8L35 in the Marine Master and think it is a great movement, but it would be silly to drop something like that into a watch like a Vostok. A Unitas 6497 in a simple pilot or pocket watch for a few hundred dollars is a fantastic pairing. The exact same movement in a $6,000 Panerai seems like someone is getting ripped off :)

It all comes down to balance. The right movement for the right watch for the right price-point.

·
Premium Member
24,307 Posts
I think this is a matter of personal preference. You can hear good and bad stories about just about any movement if you look around. I think some of the in-house movements are technology wonders and they cost a fortune as a result. I think ETA and Seiko are the leaders in Automatic movements for mass production models. And Citizen and Rhonda for quartz movements. Citizen has done some cool things with quartz movements recently, like the sweep second hand quartz. But in the end, it is up to you and what you are looking to buy. Some watch enthusiasts like to stick with Swiss made. I'm not sure that definition is as clear as it used to be. I like to pick the watch style and buy it if the movement is a quality brand or model. I think you will find that most are made by a handful of companies that are not making their own in-house movement. Even some companies buy the stock movements and modify them in-house for their lines. I think you can go on and on on this topic. But enough from me.....Good Luck.

·
Long Time Member
1,025 Posts
Great movement, but the A10 is actually based on the Seiko-Credor 4L movement, but sized/calibrated to be a drop in replacement for the ETA 2892. So, Swiss made, but Japan origins.
Nah, not convinced and I have participated in many discussions about this. Both companies deny any association officially and many changes needed to be made including the crown height (so presumably the gear train as well), overall size, and a completely different balance assembly. The Soprod website officially cites association to the ETA 2892 and nothing else. Pictures look similar, but there are notable differences as well. At the very least it has been heavily reworked and redesigned by Soprod. It is Swiss IMHO.

·
17,073 Posts
Nah, not convinced and I have participated in many discussions about this. Both companies deny any association officially and many changes needed to be made including the crown height (so presumably the gear train as well), overall size, and a completely different balance assembly. The Soprod website officially cites association to the ETA 2892 and nothing else. Pictures look similar, but there are notable differences as well. At the very least it has been heavily reworked and redesigned by Soprod. It is Swiss IMHO.

Soprod A10

Credor/Seiko

Eerily Similar....according to these pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
The Soprod website officially cites association to the ETA 2892 and nothing else.
From everything I have been able to read, it still more closely resembles the Seiko 4L but reworked to fit the size requirements of the 2892. Aside form external dimensions and crown height, it shares little with its ETA counterpart. Then again, I am no watchmaker, and while an "expert" at a few things, watch movements is not one of them. As far as it being Swiss, design origins aside, it absolutely is wholly built in Switzerland.
Both companies have more to lose than gain by pulling the shroud away from this little inconsequential mystery, and thankfully I am not one of those conspiracy theorists who thinks there is a secret Rolex factory in China :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.