Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can a scent evoke memories in you ?...My favorite scent of all is sandalwood, simply smelling it has the power to make me feel happyand it wasn't until I recently spent time with my parents that I realized it is the smell of my Dad's aftershave...I wonder what Freud would make of that.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

No doubt that odors can invoke memories. Aftershave notes are the classic example. Baby powder always reminds me of when the kids were babies. Oh, the good old days. No sleep, but you always knew where they were and what they were doing.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Absolutely, happens all the time. Smells, sounds, etc.
Funny how we reminisce about the good old days when in fact today will someday be the good old days.

CJ

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

WOW YEAH WOW

OLD SPICE = my grandfather

WOW

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

There was a certain fragrance(the name escapes me) that an ex-girlfriend was wore that drove me nuts. After we broke up, I smelled it one other time on another woman and damn...
I was TOTALLY in love with this woman...a smokin' little latina with nice tight.....aaaagh! Memories!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

In response to the title of your thread I was going to say "It wasn't me and point to one of my kids", but now that I read your first post I believe in this 100%. They say smell is the number one sense that can invoke all memories. When I smell new clothes it reminds me of the days of going to a real mall. I have to admit with the invention of the internet I haven't been to a mall for at least a decade.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Most of mine are smells of alcohol. Man the Smell of Tequila will make me hurl every time!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

+1 Rip! My last real bender years ago involved the big T and 3 bouncers in a cowboy bar.....don't believe the movies, 3 against one never works out. They beat the crap out of me...but I deserved it.

CJ
RipitRon wrote:
Most of mine are smells of alcohol. Man the Smell of Tequila will make me hurl every time!

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Especially when drunk, you might of had a chance sober!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Duchess wrote:
Can a scent evoke memories in you ?...My favorite scent of all is sandalwood, simply smelling it has the power to make me feel happyand it wasn't until I recently spent time with my parents that I realized it is the smell of my Dad's aftershave...I wonder what Freud would make of that.
It is a scientific fact that scents and sounds both evoke stronger memories.

A techie friend of my techie friend was and may still be working on a patented scented learning system, basically, while the lab class is in session a particular scent is enjoyed, then during testing on that subject the scent is smelled again. He hopes to prove an overall substantial higher test scores in the classes with scent than those without.

I will have to try to find out how his research is going.

Music will also trigger this memory effect the same way, possible together would make students unable to forget subjects of study.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

If I smell Emeraude or Taboo on women, it brings back thoughts of my most dear first true love, Rest in Peace Sheila.

Old Bay Rum or something like that, it's a spiced rum cologne, reminds me of my very early childhood and my Grandfather on my Mother's side. Rest in peace Grandpa.

Wow, I just realized that two of my most fond memories involve the dearly departed.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

I have a big thing about women and their perfume.

The funny thing about perfume is..........

The same perfume doesn't smell the same on any two women.

But sometimes................

It must be chemistry. I can be in a store, club, whatever.

A woman will walk by with that perfect perfume/chemical mix.

And. BAM. It almost knocks me off my feet. It's like the cartoons, where the little wisps of smell picks you up and floats you away.

It's fun cause you never know when it will happen.

Very pleasant because it makes you feel alive.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

I love the smell of a good perfume and yes chemistry does effect the smell and a person that wears the same smell all the time doesent smell it anymore. I altertnate after shave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts