Watch Freeks banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have no idea why I care....must be because I still love that Submariner and hope some day to buy one...but....I hope when that day comes it is a 44+mm watch....

So, I am reading about the baby boomer's and how the numbers of baby boomer's (I am at the almostvery end of the line 1963, it ends in 1964) So they are saying that the war on drugs and the people fighting and the publics perception is changing since the era of'smoking pot kills' those people are almost gone now and the pot smoking generation is comingin in full force. So by now you thinking what the hell did this have to do with Rolex...

Well, Rolex is slowto change, they don't roll out many models and after they made some very significant achievements in the last40 years....blah..blah.... nowdon't get me wrong, they are the number one sold watch in the world. But, as those of us that can afford a Rolex get older and want to buy, evenif I had the money right now the lack of a "decent" sizedRolex would stop me from buying. Like most babyboomer's the 40mm Rolex issmall and boring. If they don't change they will go poof! JMHO. Mypoint was the baby boomers are coming and I don't think Rolex is ready.

So, do you think those hard headed people at Rolex that resist change will change and move it up again. They didgo from a 38mm to a 40mm about 10 years ago... It only makes me laugha bit since Invicta pumps out 1200 different designs a year and Rolex still plugs away with around 12 + the variations? And they are still number 1 in the world.

So, do you think in the next 5 years you will see a 46mm +/- Rolex line of watches?

Ilooked and Rolex still does notmake a watch over 40mm.

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

An interesting topic and line of thought. Case in point. Who would'a ever thought that General Motors would be where they are today!!?? My point? Change is inevitable......... even for Rolex. As tastes change and generations come and go, the inability for any company (even if it is what seems to be "steadfast") to adapt will be their demise. There are retail icons that have disintegrated right in front of our eyes during this economic turmoil. Is Rolex or anyone else immune? No way! So if they can't see the handwriting on the wall it will be a future of no future at all. JMHO. Our world is changing so fast that Rolex may just find themselves out in the cold sooner more so than later.

Then again............................. I could be totally talkin outta my rear end! :%:% (Maybe! Let's hope so for Rolex sake)

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

Of course they will...IF...the trend towards larger watches continues. All of their high end competition has larger models so it would make sense that they will eventually follow.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

They already started...Deep sea almost 44mm and the hight is 18mm. Watch also wears much bigger then that. So I think that is their test and it worked. Still need a bit more work on the bracelet but I think we will be seeing bigger watches from the big R.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

Chief1301 wrote:
I have no idea why I care....must be because I still love that Submariner and hope some day to buy one...but....I hope when that day comes it is a 44+mm watch....

So, I am reading about the baby boomer's and how the numbers of baby boomer's (I am at the almostvery end of the line 1963, it ends in 1964) So they are saying that the war on drugs and the people fighting and the publics perception is changing since the era of'smoking pot kills' those people are almost gone now and the pot smoking generation is comingin in full force. So by now you thinking what the hell did this have to do with Rolex...

Well, Rolex is slowto change, they don't roll out many models and after they made some very significant achievements in the last40 years....blah..blah.... nowdon't get me wrong, they are the number one sold watch in the world. But, as those of us that can afford a Rolex get older and want to buy, evenif I had the money right now the lack of a "decent" sizedRolex would stop me from buying. Like most babyboomer's the 40mm Rolex issmall and boring. If they don't change they will go poof! JMHO. Mypoint was the baby boomers are coming and I don't think Rolex is ready.

So, do you think those hard headed people at Rolex that resist change will change and move it up again. They didgo from a 38mm to a 40mm about 10 years ago... It only makes me laugha bit since Invicta pumps out 1200 different designs a year and Rolex still plugs away with around 12 + the variations? And they are still number 1 in the world.

So, do you think in the next 5 years you will see a 46mm +/- Rolex line of watches?

Ilooked and Rolex still does notmake a watch over 40mm.

not exactly true........Rolex does make a watch over 40mm , the deep sea and its 44mm and from what i hear, quite thick and substansial..........

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/rolexdeepsea/rolexdeepsea-44mm-steel-m116660-0001/

NOT MY PIC........BORROWED FROM THE INTERNET...................

·
Registered
767 Posts
imported post

They will go bigger, as all the others have. The Deep Sea is 43.5mm- that would be the only one I'd consider, simply for its depth rating. I've always loved the design of the Daytona, especially in rose gold, but if I had that kind of coin, I'd be looking elsewhere, as 40mm just doesn't cut it for me anymore. If you take a look at the 2010 IW catalog, you'll see that just about every high end brand has gone significantly larger this year. It would only behoove Rolex to do the same...soon.

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

That 44mm Rolex is super lookin! But I agree. 44mm to maybe even 48mm, but no bigger than that. Think that will hold its own for Rolex, but they must continue to produce them like that.

LOL. I did this whole thing on my thoughts on it and James summed it up in four words. "Of course they will!!":c:c

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

My guess is they will eventually make larger versions of the icons of the watch world. I don't think they'll go over a 46-47mm though. You have to remember, they are the "old guard" when it comes to watches so their tradition and reputation rest on what they brought to the dance.

·
Registered
864 Posts
imported post

Rolex AD is a good friend of mine and the deep sea is amazing! They might bring out a 43mm sub but you guys need to remember outside of most watch forums 40mm is still a big watch! even at 40mm they dont have to much trouble selling them!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I was not aware of the Deep Sea but that would work. And I think a 43-44mm Sub would be the ticket. I mean I don't know that other than Italy and the USA seem to be the only places that want a larger watch. The fact that Rolex is still mostly 40mm and under and still still the number one watch seller goes to say, like it was pointed out, most people think a 40mm is the right size.

I mean honestly a 40mm is very comfortable you almost forget your wearing it. I do love my diamond Invicta PD with the SW-200 at 43mm. I honestly could not picture a sub at 45 or larger. Even the Invicta Grand Divers get to be top heavy.

What I was surprised is that Rolex doesn't make some models for different markets. Say like in Asia I think a 45mm Sub might be hard to sell, unlike in the USA. I noticed other watch manufactures are region specific.

But then I hate the auto makers for that crap. You see a cool looking Ford Fiesta in the UK and it is not even made here. Stuff like that ....argh!

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

Cali kid wrote:
Rolex AD is a good friend of mine and the deep sea is amazing! They might bring out a 43mm sub but you guys need to remember outside of most watch forums 40mm is still a big watch! even at 40mm they dont have to much trouble selling them!
im going to have to disagree just a little bit with that..........i know on the forums most are into bigger watches, and on that you are right, but go to any jewelry store in the mall, watch stores etc, most watches, whether a casio, a sieko, citizen, luminox, and on to other brands such as hamilton, oris, etc, are well above 40mm, most sit at 43mm..........so i dont think most consider 40mm to be a big watch at all these days.......

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

Rolex will do as it has always done. It will follow its own path. The many who buy them are usually not collectors. They buy because of name, prestige and look. They have no idea what is in side, or what went into the watch. 18K, nice look and expensive is what they are looking for. I was involved in developing software for the Pawn trade. I had to learn every facet of the business. I learned very fast that Rolex was a go to watch across many income levels. Style and works were second, Name was first.

CARL

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I agree with Carl . . . Rolex is structured where they don't need to conform to current trends. Proof . . . they're still alive and very strong in the industry.

Rolex is one of the few manufacturers that makes their own movements and can stay the course without fear of competition.

Love 'em or hate 'em . . . they have not gone the rout of their competition , , , because they don't need to.

We're seeing a few case diameter changes and, hell, I even held a Rolex in my hands that had an exhibition back (Prince), so they do have the ability to change . . . if they want to.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

I mean there is something to be said for the fact they have held the same course no matter what everyone else is doing. They are still the number on watch manufacturer with only 12 different watches in about 10 variations each so say around 120 models.

In a way it cracks me up that say Invicta (and no I am not picking on them) has the SANIII, it is the most popular SAN model yet. I have seen the SANIV and I don't really care for it overall. But why not do what they have been doing and slow down a bit on it and keep the SANIII around and roll out these different models at a rate people can buy them. I mean you slap me with 15+ different SANIII's like Invicta has in the last six months and I can't buy that many even if I wanted every one of them. To me that is stupid marketing. It wastes a lot of sales that way IMHO. One day it is the SANIII Kit, SANIII Venom, all the way to the newly released SANIII 1.1, 1.2, etc...

My point is obviously Rolex pays a lot of attention to detail and QC, why not slow down a bit like Rolex, and only roll out a few new models a QUARTER and give people a chance to even be able to pay for them. But on the other hand there is no limit to value pays so I guess you just keep throwing stuff at people.

I used to want a Rolex more than anything, I now own an Invicta that is the Rolex I always wanted to own... but I still want to own a Rolex. Sure you do that, well I can own one Rolex or 50 Invicta's what would you rather do? I used to say own the 50... Well I got the 50 and now it is time to stop burning money on that and buy the Rolex... I see a Deep Sea in my future...just need to find a used one...

·
Banned
274 Posts
imported post

Rolex in 2010 is over rated. I have a licence to critise them as I have had two Rolex watches for almost twenty years. Sure they are good watches, but in a disposable world where walmart sells watches that will last you years for a hundred bucks or a watch that will last you a year for ten dollars, the tried and true last a lifetime Rolex watch no longer has the position it once did.

Today, people own them because daddy has a high limit account at a jewelry store, or because they are just not thinking.

The world just established a world seed bank hidden hundreds of feet below a mountain. Greece was demoted to junk bond status, orama is getting ready to give America our first vatax and people are purchasing status watches that really are not famous for keeping time?

On a prom date, the boy with a nice girl will have just as much fun as the boy who takes a girl that demands a limo, tux, red carpets and a $200 flower. Give me a watch that gives the best value for the money, gives a flavor of today's trends and leaves me money to keep looking at more watches. Having all your funds in one or two watches is a thing of the past.

Today, people expect more than Rolex can afford to give.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

I's done thinks Rolexie needs to call in Gordy Ramesee's and have him do a show called Gordy's Watch Company Nightmares!!!!! I like's it whenin he goes into that there restaranty and yells at the cook causin' he can't even cooks him a hamburger what he can eat's without puking!!! Thenen he done watches dem try to serve the folks what comes inta eat and yalls at em some more!!! All them little bleeps they puts in whenin he curses are funny...cause you's know what he's sayin' anyhow!!! But...he done got's a point whenin he says...." Either change or die...!" Now that there is one smart feller.....

So maybe he'd come in and yell at em for makin' puny little girlie watches...or not makin' any square one's fer CJ!!! See CJ...I got ya covered buddy...I know's you'd go fer a nice big square Rolexie if it were dun proper!!! Me I'd done like to see me a nice big un what ain't looks like a watch what a diver wears!!! They dun made them fer years and years...where is some new ones???? See...that there Gordy feller could get them to change and make some mighty cool lookin' Rolexies!! I say lets call Gordy so he can..... Get er Dun!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
imported post

I know this is an older topic, But I think Rolex is changing, Slow...but changing.

They have introduced 41mm DateJust and a 41mm Day-Date. While they still make the traditional 36mm size in those models, this is a change toward a larger watch.

And, this year at Bazel, they unveiled the new Explorer in 40mm (up from 34 and 36mm). They also have moved a most of their professional watches into a Super Case. It's still 40mm but looks larger, due to it's wider and thicker lugs. While these sizes are modest compared to other brands, it does show a small trend for Rolex moving toward larger cases.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.