Watch Freeks banner

What time is it? Time to introduce myself

896 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Cnymetalguy 
#1 ·
Hi,
My name is John. I'm from the northeast of the US. Always loved watches since i was a little kid and i received my first watch from my dad. That was a Swatch.

I've "collected" on and off my entire life and only recently started to actually collect. For right now I have 14 watches. Most of which (and please don't mock me) is made up of the more expensive Invictas. I do have a non functional 80s Omega Seamaster that I've had since i was 13.

I do look forward to learning more about watches from you and talking them. I think watches are a form of art and the watch making is an underappreciated art form

#2 ·
Welcome John! No one is mocked for his (or her) choice of watches. The art of watch making is indeed an art in many respects. But we must enter the realm of 'haute horlogerie' for it to become real art i.m.o. Most watches are just another assembly line product.

Reactions: AranaWhite
#4 ·
Hi John, and welcome aboard ! :)

Just love hearing how you got into watches
like that. It’s THE best ! Thank you for sharing,
and thanks for being here. (y) Sounds like
you already know so much about the hobby,
and terrific watches actually.

Looking forward to learning with you !

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Invictas.

Sounds to me like you need to have your Omega serviced to get it back up and running. Maybe find a decent watchmaker and get it repaired ?

Cheers,
FB
Ive thought about it over the years. The last time I had spoken to someone they said it would cost about $1500 to fix. At the time i was 21 or 22 so to my immature mind at the time there was better ways to spend money (probably involving beer and women or combination of the two). Finding someone i trust to make the repair locally shouldn't be that tough. I live in a mid sized city. I just don't see myself wearing it honestly. It's too small for my wrist and hand and it would bug me about being out of proportion.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum John. We can overlook your inviicta issues, just kidding, if you appreciate watches your home, I think. Small watches feel cheap, they may look incredible, not to mention the genius that resides within, but they feel wrong on my small wrist. Taste changes though. Please make yourself at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.