Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I posted a few days ago that I had recently purchased a 42" LED TV to replace an older outdated television we had owned for years and years.. While the pictures is nothing short of amazing, the rear speakers are THE DUMBEST THING I have EVER seen. They sound hollow and just plain horrible.

Obviously I had to do something to fix the sound. I previously had a multi speaker surround sound system and wires running everywhere, but with the new flat screen mounted on the wall my goal was not to have wires everywhere and try to keep everything as clean as possible. So I started looking at sound bar options.

There were some inexpensive ones and some very expensive ones. After doing some reasearch and reading about 1000 online reviews we decided on the Panasonic SC-HTB10 120W 2.1-Channel Slim Sound Bar System with 3D Pass Through. I have been pretty impressed with it since installing it, which could not have been easier using just 1 HDMI cable. The sound is full - clearly louder and clearer and great base, while not sacrificing the highs. Overall a great product for under 200 dollars.

Stock photos of the Sound Bar below. You can see more about the technical specs here - http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SC-HTB10

WHAT SOUND SYSTEM DO YOU HAVE HOOKED UP TO YOUR TELEVISIONS?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
imported post

I have a Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system and it has been the best electronics purchase I have ever made. 6.1 surround system.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
imported post

I have a Bose Lifestyle 5.1 channel surround sound system in my Family Room. The rest of the house has in wall/ceiling and I have in-ground speakers outside. RF controlled and multi-zoned.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

Yamaha amp with Yamaha speakers sporting 5.1 surround sound. Big sound....

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
imported post

Denon surround amp with B&W 801-N fronts,Kef mini monitor rears,Polk center,Velodyne sub.....Samsung 55 inch,8000 series Smart LED 3D Flat Panel.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
imported post

*Living Area =Yamaha Amp, Bose monitors for the center, JBL's(Home Made Boxes) F/R.- TV is an LG Plasma 106cm. *Bedroom =Sharp LCD + Kenwood. *Outback =Onkyo Amp.

·
Registered
346 Posts
imported post

Stratos27 wrote:
I have a Yamaha amp with Polk speakers and sub. Rumbles the room :)

Jeff
i have the same setup 1080p HDMIyamaha receiver 1st generation sonyBRD player ouch cost close to 400.00 when i bought it. Polk audio speakers front, rear, middle and sub. 40" Bravia Sony led tv, sony ps3.This setup is all i need. My brother has a 40k system in his theater room and my bad ears really cant tell the diffrence. 30 years in commercial construction and working at aLS drugmanufacturing facilty along with all the concerts and sporting events didnt help. No one wore hearing protection in the old days.

·
Registered
420 Posts
imported post

Bose Lifestyles in the family room with a 55" LG LED, LG bluray surround sound with a 47" LG LED television in my bedroom.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
imported post

Pioneer Elite AVR with SS speakers built in wall. Upgraded last year
Hint: I was registered as a photographer so got free passes to CES, met lot of great people. Got wholesale on speakers. 50% off.
Went wild. If you can het the later version of Pioneer Elites AVR online, it rocks. Upscaling is awesome. I use the ROKU XDS, can put in a small thumb drive, with movies shrunk via Handbrake (for the iPad) a 6GB movie down to 1.2GB looks great on the 62” screen from just this. Roku if you are not aware, is simply a must have

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
imported post

I have a 7.1 system in the home theatre with Aperion speakers I spent a long time picking out.

For the family room I went with a one-piece solution called ZVOX. The quality is great & IMO you'd be hard-pressed to find a better price-performance ratio. FYI:

http://www.zvoxaudio.com/

Reactions: GQSTEW

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
imported post

I wired the sound from my TV...

...to go through this baby.

Pretty sweet, huh?

Reactions: greydog

·
Registered
259 Posts
imported post

rbmbb wrote:
I have a Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system and it has been the best electronics purchase I have ever made. 6.1 surround system.
That's what I have and it is off the hook!!!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
imported post

Well , i used to do that stuff. I always had these great surround sound set ups. But i was born with nerve degeneration in my ears that will progressively get worse through out my life.
And not a days i can even hear a TV at normal volumes. So i just have a big screen with close captioning. I taught myself speed reading lol.
:eek:

·
Registered
193 Posts
imported post

It sounds like you did a good buy for just $200.
Most of those flat TVs do indeed sound hollow and can't compare with good quality speakers.
I use the Realistic series from Tandy, they're about 17 years old now but still giving great sound.
To really compare one with the other, you should actually set everything to neutral (bass, mid, high) and disable features like "mega bass" and "loudness".
If you do that, your $200 sound system might not perform as well as a bose acoustimass for example.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an in wall/ ceiling system with 6 8" speakers and 4 6" speakers with 2 10" 1000w subs and an Onkyo tnx1008 running the system. That was one of the perks of owning a chain of electronic stores. Now that I have 2 year old twins, they rarely get used.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts