Watch Freeks banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

For me I find enjoyment in collecting watches. I love all brands, shapes, sizes, and movements. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt to track down a rare watch and get it for a killer price. I love variety in my collection. I enjoy watching all the movements. I'm partial to automatics, but there are a few quartz/solar that I love.

What is it that keeps us buying/selling/trading watches like most of us do?

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

I really don't consider myself a "collector".

I buy 'em and wear 'em.

A collector sounds too stuffy, like I have my special watch museum or something.

Nah, I buy 'em and wear 'em, that's all.

That's why my stuff is all over the place, taste-wise.

I don't try to adhere to any niche. I buy what I like and I wear every single one.

No rotation, no pattern, no "special watch, special day" stuff either. I pick one out and throw it on, POW, just like that.

Now if that ain't "gaa gaa" I don't know what is.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I like the hunt of finding a watch. I like getting a new watch delivered. I like photographing a new watch. I love wearing a new watch. I like talking about any watch on the forums. Did I leave anything out?

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

WHEN YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT THE ANSWER IS SURPRISING. NOT JUST THE HUNT, FINDING THAT KILLER PRICE ETC. FOR ME ITS HOLDING IT IN YOUR HANDS LOOKING AT THE DETAIL THEN WEARING IT.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

i love the hunt as well...i love selling stuff off to a good home and then stalking a new piece for myself..I also like to get pieces that very few others have..Great example are my 2 Anonimos....likely not gonna run into anyone else with it ....

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

I like the hunt of finding something different. My watches go from one extreme to another...I have some really dressy watches...and some really sporty watches. I also like watches that don't look like everyone else's watch...it's why I am not into Divers watches...or anything that resembles a Rolex. :madd

But that's just me.:c

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I agree with TC . . . I've shifted from collecting to enthusiast/wearer. There are tons of watches that excite me, typically because of their exotic movements. These are watches that I'll never own . . . but enjoy all the same. The watches that end up in my house . . . are going to be on the wrist. :)

For these watches . . . I totally get a blast from an auto movement that is consistently accurate. If that movement is also encased in something that looks great and fits well . . . then that's a bonus as well. The concepts of looking good and fitting well seem to have dramatically changed with me over the past 6 months. So I guess I'm still trying to figure out the nuances. :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
imported post

For me it's always been about how big and chunky a watch is, and how cool I think it looks. I know that may sound absurd to many, but I'm a relatively big guy (6'7" around 295 lbs)So if it isn't at least 48-50mm I just don't think it looks right on me. The smallest watch I have right now is my Seiko Flight Computer, and I haven't worn it for years just for that reason. I have picked up some "gimmicky" watches in the past just because I thought they were cool looking and worn them once or twice then given them away. But hey, I like what I like.

Having said all that, I will fall in with TC and CurrentTime in that I will not buy a watch unless I plan to wear it. I wake up, shower, and make my morning commute to the living room(I work at home)and somewhere between shower and commute, I grab whichever watch strikes my fancy that day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.