• 4) Automatic

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, I was wondering what your favorite watch movement is? I am a fam of Mechanicals which have to wound by hand. My second favorite would be a tie between the ease of an Eco Drive and an automatic. I have many quartz timepieces but worry a little about battery life, especially if it is a chronograph. What is your favorite watch movement? ....Bob

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

to bad there is not a "I don't care" option, lol

I could add one if you wanted.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

Yay! I'm the first :q (well I was)

I like mechanicals the best because they force you to monkey with them. I like autos, too but I don't have any winders. Don't want any, gave my last one away a couple months ago. For the same reason, I want to wind them, polish them and and admire the artistry.

Let's see.... I want to open a box and take out my fully functioning watch.

Get a quartz.

That's just how I feel. Don't want no grief. :)

T.

·
Registered
281 Posts
imported post

At first it was the Tough-Solar movement in some G-Shocks...then it was automatics when I got into divers...then eco-drives from Citizen. I avoided non-charging quartz movements because of the battery worry. Anymore though I realize whenever I limit the movements I will accept, I am missing some really great watches.

The Invicta Speedway, Yachting Grand Diver, G-Shock DW6600 (on its way) would never be in mine and Kristie's collection if we stuck to the old rule.

Now its more about the watch and as long as it is a quality movement, the type does not matter to me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
imported post

For anyone that has an ECO drive can relate to this. I bought my first one in or around 1998. It still works perfect and never needs winding or a battery. One cool piece of technology but for a time piece for me to admire is the automatics. It is right between the ECO and Mechanicals.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

my preference is automatic - but it doesnt restrict me or is not the only basis/factor on purchasing a watch

but i am tending towards more auto's so it's definitely a STRONG preference

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

I gotta go quartz since the bulk of my collection is comprised of them. I like the allure of automatics, but when wearing a watch, I actually look at the time and not how smoothly the hand is moving around the dial. I love the low maintenance properties of quartz. I guess it's more practical to me. I don't own a winder since I only own 1 auto now. When I get a couple more autos, I'll grab a winder. I am a fan of the 7750 and '51. Hopefully I can grab the latter one day soon, as I've never had one. I have had a 7750 and as much as I loved the watch, it really wasn't that much of a big deal to have that movement, in the grand scheme. I know I'm walking the thin line of blasphemy now!

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Quartz hands down, more accurate, more reliable, cheaper to repair.

·
Registered
354 Posts
imported post

I went with quartz, very reliable, accurate and I don't have to set the time and date every time I go to wear my watch.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

im not a movt snob by any means.............my deciding factor is the price of the watch compared to what movt is in it........

quartz is great, because of the low maintenence, i like autos, but dont like reseting them all the time.......im just not a winder guy......

but i do look for the higher end autos, .....at least an eta 2824 or something.........i love how they work, and it is part of the cool factor for the watch for me.......

oh, what the hell, i like them all, just im not about to pay an inflated price for a cheap quartz movt in watch..........when i start paying past 400-and 500, i want a good auto in the watch, not a cheap quartz............i know, im difficult......lol.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Well...I like almost any type of movement...but if I have to choose one...I'd go with an auto. I use to not like them that much...but I have since gotten 2 winders, and it's much easier to keep them running now!!!

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

For me its auto/mech, hate having to change out a battery every 3 to 5 years.

·
Registered
72 Posts
imported post

Tough one. I selected quartz just cuz it's cheaper! I love my autos though. Really not too into mechanicals. I have one, a Longines from the 50's, but never remember to wind it on any regular basis...

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
to bad there is not a "I don't care" option, lol

I could add one if you wanted.
I did not think of that. It could of been I don't care, if the watch looks good. Thanks James. ....Bob

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thank you all for the responses. ....Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts