Watch Freeks banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a VSA dive master and thought how nice the watch was and how it was particularly pleasing because of the deal I got second hand. I'm curious to see what you fellow freaks might recommend for a great 2nd hand or re-sale watch to pick up. I hope its not asking too much if you can share an experience with a price paid, too. I'll start by noting my VSA was $360.

Thanks for sharing and I'm taking notes on your recommendations so I can benefit from your experiences. Maybe its because I'm semi-retired now and need to focus on more intelligent purchases nowadays but I'm finding that I really enjoy getting a nice watch at a stupid price, too.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
I highly recommend the Bathy's 100 Fathom. It is a very nice watch that I wear often.

·
Long Time Member
1,739 Posts
I don't know if it is your style or not, but I picked up a used Orient Flight for under a hundred bucks. I've had it for over a year, and everytime I wear it, which is a lot, I am impressed with its quality and accuracy. I still feel like it would have been a great purchase at twice the price. So, I think if you get one in the $100-$120 range, you will be very happy.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Great topic Nate.

I look forward to seeing the responses as well.

Being retired and on a fixed income means I need to be
careful with my money as well.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I would first figure out what you like/want.
Then try to find out what they're selling for from an authorized dealer.
Then start shopping the internet, especially the places with 'daily deal' sections.
You know, the grey market.
And lastly, check the "for sale" sections of different forums or places like "Watch Recon".
Many times, some of the sale sites will net you a brand new watch for a couple of bucks more than a second hand one.
On the other hand, I've seen some poor prices for used watches, very close to new prices. Some guys like to negotiate and if you're that type, go for it.

Over all, I think that patience is most important when shopping for either a new or used watch.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
A lot of factors come into play like size and style preferences as well as original manufacturer's price when new. These two are both retro style cushion case divers with ETA 2824-2 movements, about 42mm and very comfortable to wear. The Bernhardt is just under $700 new and the O7 is $800 new. They show up for sale pre-owned occasionally listed in the $400-$450 range and I believe both are a good value (in good condition) at that price.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I highly recommend the Bathy's 100 Fathom. It is a very nice watch that I wear often.

I've only heard very good things about this watch in the past, too. Thanks for sharing, Marc. I do need to snag one of them one day soon.

:smileyface_hand_cla

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if it is your style or not, but I picked up a used Orient Flight for under a hundred bucks. I've had it for over a year, and everytime I wear it, which is a lot, I am impressed with its quality and accuracy. I still feel like it would have been a great purchase at twice the price. So, I think if you get one in the $100-$120 range, you will be very happy.

Thanks, Frank, and that is right up my "style" alley, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts