Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is your "grail" watch?

It does not have to be one that is super expensive or anything like that. It is just YOUR "grail" watch.

Post about them in this thread!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Not entirely sure what I would consider my grail at this point being so new to watch collecting but I do not have any automatics in my collection to date. I am thinking maybe something with a 7750 movement or maybe one of the new Renato autos. I have also heard the Invicta SAS auto is a nice piece. I guess something complex in design with a high end movement. I think brand name alone is very overrated already imo.

PS.....I am open for suggestions however as to what a nice grail would be. Limited budget though as I have a family and have to be realistic on what I purchase.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

A "grail" for me is something that I probably will never actually get.

Here is mine.....

My "grail" watch is definitely something that I will NEVER ever actually have. I saw a show on this watch once and was blown away - completely.

Name of Watch: Breitling Bentley Mulliner Men's Tourbillion Watch Manual Wind Chronograph Platinum Black Dial on Black Leather Strap L18841TA-B788-761P
List Price - between $175,000 - $200,000. Have seen it on sale for $95,000 BUT they only make 1-2 a month apparently so you have to wait forever to get one.

Modification I would want - Platinum Band, which I am sure I could get if I was paying between $100,000-$200,000 for a watch, lol. the black leather band looks very nice, but I would want a metal band.

Specs:
Features
StyleBentley Mulliner Tourbillon
Model #L18841TA-B788-761P
Gender/SizeMen's
Case - Platinum
Case - BackSee through sapphire
Bracelet/Strap -Black leather
Crown -Screw down
Bezel Function - Bidirectional rotating
Dial Color - Black
Sub dial Color - Skeleton
Sub dial Use - Tourbillon chronograph, date, minute register
Hand Indicators - Silver tone luminous
Hour Markers -Silver tone luminous
Crystal - Scratch resistant sapphire
Movement - Manual Wind COSC certified
Date Calendar -At the 9 o'clock
Case Width - 49.5 mm (53 mm with crown)
Case Length - 55 mm with lugs
Case Thickness - 15 mm
Bracelet Width - 24 mm
Clasp Type - Deployment buckle
Water Resistant - To 100 m / 330 ft

To REALLY understand how they make this watch you HAVE to READ THIS ARTICLE

Picture -

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

That is one awesome timepiece. I see your point about "grail". I guess I am just too new at this point to make that determination because I just wasn't think along those terms. Now that you brought up this watch my curiosity was peaked last night when Daniel and Jim were discussing something about aTourbillioncoming in a Renato. I did hear that correctly right?

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

UKWolfeman wrote:
That is one awesome timepiece. I see your point about "grail". I guess I am just too new at this point to make that determination because I just wasn't think along those terms. Now that you brought up this watch my curiosity was peaked last night when Daniel and Jim were discussing something about aTourbillioncoming in a Renato. I did hear that correctly right?
yes they did mention that. it is a type of movement - check out this info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourbillon

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

everyone always has a different opinion of what a grail watch is.........i think the term gets thrown around to much. people always saying , im chasing another grail. people think that a grail, is just another expensive watch to buy.

its not.........lol. its like the holy grail. to me , its the end all be all. the mecca of your collection. the crown jewel. the one you have always wanted and the one that would complete your collection. it doesnt need to be expensive either.......its whatever watch that to you, is the one you have always dreamed about and the one that you were finally able to obtain.

my grail has changed a couple of times, and i have settled on this.........as i have said before, this is my perfect watch.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

okay, im sick of seeing stock pictures of this............until you get this bad boy on your wrist you are no longer alllowed to post pictures of it..........do you understand me tuna.......dont make me bring the hammer down...........no more pics until you own it.........lol

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

ok im with ya on this one tuna....but Don is right we gotta hit him up with the real pics....but i know that bad boy wont be on the wrist until Jan....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

A "GRAIL" means different thing to different people. To me a grail is a watch that would be the pinnacle of my collection and one that is beyond my means. In that thought I have a few grails, a Panerai Luminor, Omega Seamaster and a Breitling. These are all great watches that I probably will never own but truely want to have.

Now, my attainable grails were the Invicta SAS and the SANIII BOTH of which I have and I LOVE them both and wear them often!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

sheraortho wrote:
To me a grail is a watch that would be the pinnacle of my collection and one that is beyond my means. In that thought I have a few grails, a Panerai Luminor, Omega Seamaster and a Breitling. These are all great watches that I probably will never own but truely want to have.
That is EXACTLY the same way I feel, and for the most part the same watches on my list of "wish I could have grails". Well said.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
sheraortho wrote:
To me a grail is a watch that would be the pinnacle of my collection and one that is beyond my means. In that thought I have a few grails, a Panerai Luminor, Omega Seamaster and a Breitling. These are all great watches that I probably will never own but truely want to have.
That is EXACTLY the same way I feel, and for the most part the same watches on my list of "wish I could have grails". Well said.
You know what they say..."Good minds think alike!"

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Another one of my grail watches. Someday.... maybe.....

Panerai Luminor Chrono

Either version is fine with me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
Another one of my grail watches. Someday.... maybe.....

Panerai Luminor Chrono

Either version is fine with me.

That is one that I would be looking at too!! What a beautiful piece!!

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

WOW - time to get a new grail as this year i got both

SAN III & SAS (on its way to me)

but there's alot out there that i may call a grail but never spend the money on it -its just a watch and they are too much dough!!

i guess for me a movement with the Valjoux 7750 & 7751
i prefer the 7751 -would be MY grail but since most of these watches are above my "ceiling" for the cost of a single watch - i doubt i'd have one

BTW my ceiling is = $1,000 - i cant see or justify spending anything more than $999 on a watch -and i love watches but after all we are just feeding our ego's with this collection thing -and i gotta keep mine in check

there are plenty of Good to great watches in my price points

some of my brands to GRAIL on or just on the wish list

ORIS
Sturhling Original
CITIZEN
RITMO MUNDO
SEIKO

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

After really looking at this a lot lately I would have to say I would not spend any more than $1000 either on a watch just doesn't seem right as a middle class family man. Ones that I have really looked at that I would consider if the price was right and would think of as grails would be:

TAG
Oris
Hamilton
Ritmo

All of which can be had around that range for a decent one and a few well below.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

i have seen some really nice ORIS & Hamilton's under 1G but i've never seen a TAG under it (at least not an auto)

Ritmo would be a style thing not so much cost -most of their stuff i dont like but they had a diver on SHOPNBC about a month ago @ 48-50MM that i liked alot
i just was not able to pull the trigger -cant buy them all

UKWolfeman wrote:
After really looking at this a lot lately I would have to say I would not spend any more than $1000 either on a watch just doesn't seem right as a middle class family man. Ones that I have really looked at that I would consider if the price was right and would think of as grails would be:

TAG
Oris
Hamilton
Ritmo

All of which can be had around that range for a decent one and a few well below.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

All the TAG were chrono that I have found.....most if not all of the autos were well over $1000......at least that I have found so far. I think anything in a TAG would be a bit of a grail for me. Might be shallow but the name carries weight with a lot of the doctors and medical personnel I deal with every day. Plus I like them.

On the Ritmo we may have saw the same one.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I used to feel like that (GRAIL) about OMEGA - and still do i guess!

TAG never really did anything for me

OMEGA would be a stretch unless i hit the MEGA MILLIONS or LOTTO - LMAO!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts