Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just picked up a Cape Cod Cloth tonight and I was wondering how other WF's use these. I'm looking for some good techniques. Do you rub in a circular pattern or side to side? How long does it take? Will it leave a residue? Can they do more harm then good? Anything would be helpful. Thanks in advance for all the advice and suggestions.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

I just got some as well and I was going to experiment this weekend on an old watch. Please share any information you get.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Watchguru58 wrote:
I just picked up a Cape Cod Cloth tonight and I was wondering how other WF's use these. I'm looking for some good techniques. Do you rub in a circular pattern or side to side? How long does it take? Will it leave a residue? Can they do more harm then good? Anything would be helpful. Thanks in advance for all the advice and suggestions.
I used it and it works great.. remember its only for high polish finish..I didnt cover my crystal but i also didnt go over it either..sapphire crystal you dont have to cover it...Mineral i would tape it off...just make sure you use the pink cloth in one direction with some pressure not too much..You can go back and forth just not in a circular motion...and let it sit for a minute or 2 and buff it out with either the cloth it comes with or a micro fiber cloth. A friend of mine MR. J.D....thanks J.D...cut out a 2 by 2 section and used it like that. Also if the bracelet has brushed and high polish you can use a q-tip with a little piece of the cloth wrapped around it so you wont hit the brushed metal...Hope that helps..Remember take your time it will come out good.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Spaceview wrote:
I just got some as well and I was going to experiment this weekend on an old watch. Please share any information you get.
I will. I think I will start with some on my beaters just to get a feel for how they work. My watchmaker told me to be careful when using them. I guess they have a buffing compound on them that can be lethal to a movement if they get inside.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Sorry guys i was editing my post...Check out the above post and you will be fine..

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Jackprime1 wrote:
Watchguru58 wrote:
I used it and it works great.. remember its only for high polish finish..I didnt cover my crystal but i also didnt go over it either..sapphire crystal you dont have to cover it...Mineral i would tape it off...just make sure you use the pink cloth in one direction with some pressure not too much..You can go back and forth just not in a circular motion...and let it sit for a minute or 2 and buff it out with either the cloth it comes with or a micro fiber cloth. A friend of mine MR. J.D....thanks J.D...cut out a 2 by 2 section and used it like that. Also if the bracelet has brushed and high polish you can use a q-tip with a little piece of the cloth wrapped around it so you wont hit the brushed metal...Hope that helps..Remember take your time it will come out good.
Thanks!! I will give it a shot.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Jackprime1 wrote:
Cool let me know how it turns out WG58
I will certainly keep you apprised. I only picked up a a pouch with 2 cloths just to test fly them. If they work well I will get the canister and go to town LOL!!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

After all this talk about Cape Cod I figure I'd experiment, here's what I came up with.

First, crystals...I went over mineral, FF and Sapphire liberally with no ill effects whatsoever.

I tested the Cape Cod Cloth (from here forward CCC) on various SS surfaces.

On brushed SS with a grain it did shine it up a bit but in no way created a mirror finish. Polishing brushed SS will expose the grain and make it obvious so in most cases the grain must be worn down. I do not think the CCC is capable of this.
On very grainy surfaces I skip the endless hours of buffing and go straight to wet sanding.

On beaded SS it definitely polishes it up but again not to a mirror finish. I suppose if you worked at it for hours on end and many many cloths it would be possible.

On pre-polished SS, wow....does a great job cleaning it up and fixing light scratches and swirls. Leaves a terrific mirror finish.

On SS with plated polished gold it again worked very well. Clean high gloss finish but understand that plating can be wore down. I have purposely wore down some plated gold on an Invicta bracelet with a buffer and it was not that difficult. On the other hand trying to buff off blk or gold plating on the case was a different story....can be done, just takes more time.

On dull gold plating it cleans it up and will create a little more "shine" but no where near a mirror finish....you will wear off the pating before you achieve this. Ususally it's the dull finish underneath the plating that creates the dull plated appearance.

I tried to work in one direction to prevent swirls and it seemed to work pretty well. Understand that the actual cloth of the CCC is a fiberglass like material and is abravise hense the ability to polish and remove minor scratches. No polish job is perfect, under the right light and magnification you can always see the "grain".

My final thoughts are that the CCC is an exceptional product and works well with most SS. It will take the dull off of brushed and beaded and will enhance pre polished SS. It appears to be safe for all the standard crystal so taping off does not appear necessary (but if concerned tape up).

Hope this hleps, if you want me to try it on something other than I mentioned please let me know (and no George I will not try it on my private parts LOL).

CJ

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Seattle wrote:
After all this talk about Cape Cod I figure I'd experiment, here's what I came up with.

First, crystals...I went over mineral, FF and Sapphire liberally with no ill effects whatsoever.

On brushed SS with a grain it did shine it up a bit but in no way created a mirror finish. Polishing brushed SS will expose the grain and make it obvious so in most cases the grain must be worn down. I do not think the CCC is capable of this.
On very grainy surfaces I skip the endless hours of buffing and go straight to wet sanding.

On beaded SS it definitely polishes it up but again not to a mirror finish. I suppose if you worked at it for hours on end and many. many cloths it would be possible.

On pre-polished SS, wow....does a great job cleaning it up and fixing light scratches and swirls. Leaves a terrific mirror finish.

On SS with plated polished gold it again worked very well. Clean high gloss finish but understand that plating can be wore down. I have purposely wore down some plated gold on an Invicta bracelet with a buffer and it was not that difficult. On the hand trying to buff off blk or gold plating on the case was a different story....can be done, just takes more time.

On dull gold plating it cleans it up and will create a little more "shine" but no where near a mirror finish....you will wear off the pating before you achieve this. Ususally it's the dull finish underneath the plating that creates the dull plated appearance.

I tried to work in one direction to prevent swirls and it seemed to work pretty well. Understand that the actual cloth of the CCC is a fiberglass like material and is abravise hense the ability to polish and remove minor scratches. No polish job is perfect, under the right light and magnification you can always see the "grain".

My final thoughts are that the CCC is an exceptional product and works well with most SS. It will take the dull off of brushed and beaded and will enhance pre polished SS. It appears to be safe for all the standard crystal so taping off does not appear necessary (but if concerned tape up).

Hope this hleps, if you want me to try it on something other than I mentioned please let me know (and no George I will not try it on my pricate parts LOL).

CJ

Very cool. Thanks CJ however I would be interested to see how they work on your private parts LOl!!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Seattle wrote:

On beaded SS it definitely polishes it up but again not to a mirror finish. I suppose if you worked at it for hours on end and many. many cloths it would be possible.

On SS with plated polished gold it again worked very well. Clean high gloss finish but understand that plating can be wore down. I have purposely wore down some plated gold on an Invicta bracelet with a buffer and it was not that difficult. On the hand trying to buff off blk or gold plating on the case was a different story....can be done, just takes more time.

Hope this hleps, if you want me to try it on something other than I mentioned please let me know (and no George I will not try it on my pricate parts LOL).

CJ
Excellent review CJ...Glad it worked out great for you...I am pleased with the results myself..I didnt think it would work when I first seen the product but I was pleasantly surprised...:c

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

OK Rob, this is just between you and me...got that, you and me. It starts out pleasant as anything cool would down there but the moment........hey wait a minute, this is a public forum!!!:madd:madd:madd

Watchguru58 wrote:
Seattle wrote:

CJ
Very cool. Thanks CJ however I would be interested to see how they work on your private parts LOl!!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Seattle wrote:
OK Rob, this is just between you and me...got that, you and me. It starts out pleasant as anything cool would down there but the moment........hey wait a minute, this is a public forum!!!:madd:madd:madd

Watchguru58 wrote:
Seattle wrote:

CJ

LOL :%:lolYour killing me here. Post some pics LOL!!!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

It seems like most of my minor scratches are on the brushed stainless steel clasps. I know Cape Cod Cloths aren't to be used on brushed finishes, but what do others recommend instead?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts