Watch Freeks banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I ask myself this every time I purchase a new watch. Why do we love it so much? Is it the thrill of the deal? The excitement of getting something new? Are we just OCD and have to keep buying more, more, more?? Don't get me wrong I love my watch passion, but I often ask myself, "why do I keep buying them?" I own 37 watches and I wear all of them through a rotation, but why do I need more watchesthen there are days ina month. Just food for thought. I'm curious to hear everybody's thoughts on this because I know we all ask ourselves this at some point or another. Now for those of you that have gained control and are saving up to buy a more expensive grail why do you have to have an expensive grail? I always have a new grail on my list, but why?

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Because something new always comes out that is better then one i have. So out with the old and in with the new! I am pretty please with my 60 watch rotation but that will all change soon!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

For a while, I was in a "try everything" phase, and that fueled a lot of my buying.

More recently, it's been about acquiring specific movements, so there's been a lot more researching and less actual buying.

The thrill of getting a new watch is definitely there for me, but trying to figure out which will be the "next watch" has become just as much fun. :)

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

I was just in a buying mode until I joined these watch forums. now i'm getting more educated on the the different movements, and all the various styles and watch companies, which expanded my horizon.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
Because something new always comes out that is better then one i have. So out with the old and in with the new! I am pretty please with my 60 watch rotation but that will all change soon!
What kind of changes can we look forward too Ron?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Rob I am addicted to buying watches...I had 20 and in the process of selling them off except for 6. I redirected my watch collecting and will only buy 1 maybe 2 per year of a higher end watch. I'm good with that..My next purchase will be soon and cant wait...

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Jackprime1 wrote:
Rob I am addicted to buying watches...I had 20 and in the process of selling them off except for 6. I redirected my watch collecting and will only buy 1 maybe 2 per year of a higher end watch. I'm good with that..My next purchase will be soon and cant wait...
I'm headed in the same direction Jack. I look forward to seeing your next purchase. That Anonimo looks like a sweet deal. Keep us posted on what you end up getting. I will live vicariously through your happiness.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Watchguru58 wrote:
I ask myself this every time I purchase a new watch. Why do we love it so much? Is it the thrill of the deal? The excitement of getting something new? Are we just OCD and have to keep buying more, more, more?? Don't get me wrong I love my watch passion, but I often ask myself, "why do I keep buying them?" I own 37 watches and I wear all of them through a rotation, but why do I need more watchesthen there are days ina month. Just food for thought. I'm curious to hear everybody's thoughts on this because I know we all ask ourselves this at some point or another. Now for those of you that have gained control and are saving up to buy a more expensive grail why do you have to have an expensive grail? I always have a new grail on my list, but why?
For me I can honestly say it is almost my meditating. When I am watching the watch shows, or reading the posts here, or rearching a new watch for myself or others, or watching one of CurrentTime's videos and learning something new - I honestly feel more relaxed then almost any other time. I enjoy reading about just about everything about watches. Sure I only remember about 5% of it, lol, but I am constantly amazed by something.

As far as the actual watches I only normally have 15-20 at one time. I have never been a person who needed to have hundreds of watches or even 50. I highly doubt I will ever have as many as 40, but I love the ones I have. Many mornings before work, and many evenings when undressing after work, I find myself standing in front of my watch box just looking at my watches. I open up the bottom drawers of my watch boxes and just look at the watches I already know I have like it is the first time i have seen them. Some mornings I literally can not decide which to wear....BECAUSE I WANT TO WEAR THEM ALL. I honestly feel that way sometimes.

And to address the "grails" you mentioned. We all have them. Some are obtainable and some are not, but the reality is that the searching and the learning about them is beyond fun and always exciting.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

I like the idea of wearing a different watch on a daily basis. For so many years I rotated between 3 G-Shocks, but now I'm to the point that I can literally go more than a month without wearing the same watch. I enjoy that! I don't need hundreds of watches and I don't plan on acquiring that many, but who the hell knows in a year or 2 from now? I see that many are "going in a different direction" and that's cool. I'm planning on semi doing that myself, but I believe in diversity, so there will always be room for the so-called low-end pieces in my collection.

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

For me (and I am a true addict. Got it bad!) it can best be explained as the high level of interest in the sheer mechanical artistry of time pieces. The look, the feel, the movement, all the intracacies that are put into a time piece no matter what the price. If I buy a particular piece, it is because I am so infatuated with a particular characteristic or multiples of such that I have to have it. Problem is, that this happens waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too often!!! Again, "addiction". Heck, just getting on my two favorite forums is an addiction for me as well. Just got to get my watch fix. What's goin on in the "watch universe"? JMHO for what it's worth. (That and $4 will get you a Starbuck's ... LOL)

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

When I started collecting I bought a number of watches that I shouldnt have and Iam now much more careful. Like CT I look at movements. I have 36 watches and there are a number on my want list, I have 16 invictas, after the first of the year I intend to carefully go thru my watches and and decide what I will keep and what i sell or trade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.