Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know many people already know this, but thought it would be a good thing to add to the Watch School 101 section for those who did not.

Here is a variety of definitions from a variety of sources around the net

A hacking movement is one that stops the second hand when you pull the crown to the time-setting position, so you can set it to the second. A non-hacking movement doesn't do this.
Hack/Hacking: Describes the feature of a movement whereby the seconds hand can be stopped for exact setting of the time. Originally a military term for this feature.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

That is definetly good to know, if you are new to the hobby. ....Bob

·
Registered
163 Posts
imported post

Thank You. I have to admit to not knowing what the correct definition was for that. I just didn't have the stones to ask it here. Jeff

·
Senior Novice
3,186 Posts
imported post

once read Seiko Monster had the first non hacking mov't, true or false?

For clarification, when the crown's pulled and the hands are free for setting,

the seconds hand will not move from it's current position; if it's stuck on second 43,

it will remain there.

This can be a minor inconvenience to pro synchronizers.

Go Pros!

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

AranaWhite wrote:

the seconds hand will not move from it's current position; if it's stuck on second 43,

it will remain there.

Go Pros!
Isn't that the whole point is synchronizing? To synch to that same second?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
imported post

Good idea to post, James. Might this also be a good time to mention the concept of the "poor man's hack", a technique for briefly stopping the second hand from advancing on a watch that doesn't hack by turning the crown backwards? I've heard differing opinions about whether this is harmful or not, but I use it all the time (for example on Vostok movements) with no apparent ill effect.

·
Senior Novice
3,186 Posts
imported post

Tattoo Chef wrote:
AranaWhite wrote:

it will remain there.

Go Pros!
Isn't that the whole point is synchronizing? To synch to that same second?
Yep Sirr, i think my hazy/poorly proposed point was, if you attempt to sync 6 non hacking watches it could be frustrating. Or attempting to sync a crowd. Picture an amping eager bunch getting ready to hit trails

mt. biking (insert an activity) and some have non hacking watches on, i'd pitch a plan to synchronize. Every body should sync to a standard for determining the run of their watches, that seems like a good plan for sure.

The sentiment was hacking may be a feature worth noting before You buy that watch i love.

If i just muddied the water, it's probably not the 1st x, but i hope it's the last.

·
Senior Novice
3,186 Posts
imported post

johnny_k wrote:
Good idea to post, James. Might this also be a good time to mention the concept of the "poor man's hack", a technique for briefly stopping the second hand from advancing on a watch that doesn't hack by turning the crown backwards? I've heard differing opinions about whether this is harmful or not, but I use it all the time (for example on Vostok movements) with no apparent ill effect.
Have You stuttered while hacking the "poor man's hack?"

This may effect the time-space continuum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not new to the watches but I am pretty new when it comes to movements that power those watches. I just started to be a little more interested and I learned a lot about ETA movement. Countless hours of reading from many sources...

And this was my first time to learn what is hacking exactly in the watch movement world. I came across that term 2-3 times and decided to put google to work, which took me here.

Thanks for this information sir!

P.S.

I know the thread is old but someone, like myself, might still benefit from it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts