Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just curious what people think about Orient watches. I really enjoy their looks and hope to own one soon.

You can get really nice models like the 45mm Orient CEM75001B Men's 200M Automatic Diver Watch for around $150-160 on Ebay and other places. Looks like this

You can also get one of my grails like this one for around $750-1000 - the 45mm Orient Saturation Professional Diver - CFD0C001M 300M Automatic

SO I would love to get feedback from people on the brand and see some pictures of watches if you have any. Thanks!!!

James

About Orient:
Orient Watch was formally established in July 13th, 1950 in Tokyo. However, the history of Orient Watch really dates back to 1901, when Shogoro Yoshida, the founder of Orient, opened a wholesale watch store in Ueno, Japan. Orient Watch has always focused on mechanical watches, primarily automatic watches with its own in-house automatic movements Orient was once part of the "Big Three" watch companies in Japan along with Citizen and Seiko. In the 70s, when mechanical watch companies faced hardship from the mass introduction of inexpensive quartz watches, Citizen and Seiko took the path of mass producing quartz watches, Orient stuck with what it did best, making mechanical watches. Today, Seiko owns a controlling stake in Orient. Orient, however, continues to make its own mechanical movements. For its quartz models, it uses Seiko's quartz movements. What sets Orient apart from other watch companies is really the fact that Orient has always been focusing on making its mechanical movements better and more reliable. It is unusual today to find a watch company that makes its own movement selling watches at prices offered by Orient. Most of the watch companies that do make in-house movements are big name specialized watch companies such as Patek Philippe whose watches ranges from tens of thousands of dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars. To find a specialized watch company that uses in-house movements selling its watches at prices that are affordable to most people is truly refreshing.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

I have seen many that I really like. Would put them in the same category as the obvious Citizen and Seiko but some of their pieces sing a bit more to me. I would not pass one up if the opportunity was right.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

James, too weird!! I have been looking at that one as well as the all blue for a little while now. I have always liked the quality, etc. but could not get past their standard 39-40mm (friend had one, loved it but just a little small). Man, I am so itching to pull the trigger! I also like their pro model in 45mm but it's more than a grand?

TVDinner wrote:
Just curious what people think about Orient watches. I really enjoy their looks and hope to own one soon.

You can get really nice models like the 45mm Orient CEM75001B Men's 200M Automatic Diver Watch for around $150-160 on Ebay and other places. Looks like this

You can also get one of my grails like this one for around $750-1000 - the 45mm Orient Saturation Professional Diver - CFD0C001M 300M Automatic

SO I would love to get feedback from people on the brand and see some pictures of watches if you have any. Thanks!!!

James

About Orient:
Orient Watch was formally established in July 13th, 1950 in Tokyo. However, the history of Orient Watch really dates back to 1901, when Shogoro Yoshida, the founder of Orient, opened a wholesale watch store in Ueno, Japan. Orient Watch has always focused on mechanical watches, primarily automatic watches with its own in-house automatic movements Orient was once part of the "Big Three" watch companies in Japan along with Citizen and Seiko. In the 70s, when mechanical watch companies faced hardship from the mass introduction of inexpensive quartz watches, Citizen and Seiko took the path of mass producing quartz watches, Orient stuck with what it did best, making mechanical watches. Today, Seiko owns a controlling stake in Orient. Orient, however, continues to make its own mechanical movements. For its quartz models, it uses Seiko's quartz movements. What sets Orient apart from other watch companies is really the fact that Orient has always been focusing on making its mechanical movements better and more reliable. It is unusual today to find a watch company that makes its own movement selling watches at prices offered by Orient. Most of the watch companies that do make in-house movements are big name specialized watch companies such as Patek Philippe whose watches ranges from tens of thousands of dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars. To find a specialized watch company that uses in-house movements selling its watches at prices that are affordable to most people is truly refreshing.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

CJ - I really like their look even of the $150 one and I believe it comes in almost all colors. I have to do some more research!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Might be a nice orange dial pick up for you James.

TVDinner wrote:
CJ - I really like their look even of the $150 one and I believe it comes in almost all colors. I have to do some more research!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

James, from what I have been able to gather is that the new larger size (the approx. $150 version comes in blk/blk, blk/orange and blue/blue (bezel/dial). The 39-40mm comes in a variety of colors, I have looked at them a bunch a while back but decided that 40mm was just too small for me. And the pro (45mm) comes in blk/blk and blk/orange and it's awesome!!
I have so many blk/blk divers (9 to be exact in various makes and models) I am really thinking it's time for a blue/blue SS. Need to stay focused though with the NFW around the corner and all.........

TVDinner wrote:

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

yea I watched the video - that is the 45mm one he got. I like the black dial one also, but have a ton of that look. just nice watches.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

They look like nice watches, but I too know nothing about the brand name. I know the Shop carried them for a very short time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
imported post

I purchase this very watch about 2 months ago, and I had issues with the watch. First, the day and time did not change at the same time. I sent it back, Orient sent me another one, same deal, the day and date did not change at the same. So finally i told Orient, just send me one of their typical Diver watches. I ended up giving that watch away to my brother.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Hey Automatik, any of the same issues that bkwatchfan mentioned?

"
I purchase this very watch about 2 months ago, and I had issues with the watch. First, the day and time did not change at the same time. I sent it back, Orient sent me another one, same deal, the day and date did not change at the same. So finally i told Orient, just send me one of their typical Diver watches. I ended up giving that watch away to my brother."

Automatik wrote:
I love my only Orient. HUGE bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Pull the trigger CJ - do it tonight!!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

The orange one that is pictured is the new and larger Mako. I have the original black Mako and I love it! I was talking to Don about Orient last nite and I told him the one thing I like about Orient is, they still make their own in-house automatic movements! Most of the fine Swiss companies don't do that anymore because of cost! They make an excellent watch that is definately woth getting!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts