Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Got to practice taking better shots today. Here's a quick sample of a shot i took. I am curious on what you guys think?

C.m.T

Reactions: jason_recliner

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not bad, not bad at all. What camera lens and light sources are you using?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I think that Tag rules!!!
My daughter has 2 Tags, both Formula Ones.
Newest Tag decided to stop so I took it to the
best Tag guy in my area (N E Texas). Thot it
was bad battery. Mr Cook, the Tag guy uncovered
a broken ground connection, repaired it for $8.00.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. I would suggest stinger lighting. Also, I would increase your aperture setting to help with keeping the entire dial in focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will look into the stinger lighting & for some reason the shot appears to be a little out of focus when i uploaded it threw my phone but the original shot is super sharp, could even read the swiss made logo very crisp & clear. I am going to try & upload threw my computer to see if it helps but thank you for the compliments & advice.

C.m.T

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Looks very good.
Without seeing the original it's hard to critique.

It seems some image hosting sites further process and compress the images
when you upload a photo.

Are you shooting raw?
Do you post process the photo?

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'm not a photographer, but that sample looks fantastic to me! I know nothing about aperture settings, lighting, etc., but I like the way you managed to get the dial as well as the edge of the bracelet and clasp on the backside. It gives a really nice fuller impression of what that watch brings to the table (or wrist).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok changed image to the one off of my computer. looks a lot clearer.
this is a second shot i got, lens was focusing on the dial so some of the bezel on the upper right is out of focus but still a pretty good shot i think.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks very good.
Without seeing the original it's hard to critique.

It seems some image hosting sites further process and compress the images
when you upload a photo.

Are you shooting raw?
Do you post process the photo?

Thanks for posting.

Yes always shoot RAW! Lol.
Then put it threw Lr & Ps but ive noticed if i dont compress image myself to the sites maximum size allowance it gets compressed on its own & kind of makes the image a tad bit distorted. When i post them through computer there much clearer too v.s. Sending to phone & posting through tapatalk.
I still have alot to learn but practice makes perfect.
Just got a very nice mini studio just for my timepieces so thats making it much easier & better to play with lighting.

C.m.T

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Looks good to me, but what do I know. I'm no photographer.

I may play around with a little post processing for you this evening if I have time.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
If you want to get really serious, look into Focus Stacking.
I'm going to look into software that does this during the coming winter,
when I stay in out of the cold Canadian weather. :)

It's more common in macro photography but it can apply to watch photography as well.

All those incredible shots of bugs and insects on leaves is done this way.
It's not one shot. It's multiple shots put together.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/focus-stacking.htm

Yes always shoot RAW! Lol.
Then put it threw Lr & Ps but ive noticed if i dont compress image myself to the sites maximum size allowance it gets compressed on its own & kind of makes the image a tad bit distorted. When i post them through computer there much clearer too v.s. Sending to phone & posting through tapatalk.
I still have alot to learn but practice makes perfect.
Just got a very nice mini studio just for my timepieces so thats making it much easier & better to play with lighting.

C.m.T

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
zed, Photoshop has a specific function that looks like it makes stacking really simple. I think there are some YouTube videos on it but all you need to do is load in the series of photos and the software will take the best focused parts and stitch them together with a few clicks of the mouse into a single photo. I think actually getting the proper captures together would be the most difficult part, but there are a few tips and tricks out there on that too.

[ edit ]

Found the video I remember seeing here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqAXR94X0T8

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
SORRY C.m.T

I don't want to hijack your thread but it is about how to get good shots.

Thanks Spoon.

I have Adobe Elements 10 and it doesn't have that feature.
There are so many different Adobe products it's hard to know what is best at an affordable price.

Here is an example of 3rd party software.
http://www.photocheatsheets.com/Helicon3.aspx

·
Registered
489 Posts
Beautiful piece! The composition could be improved but a good photo nonetheless.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was looking into stacking a few weeks back just havent had the time to really try it. But i have a macro lens i just got that i def. will be using for stacking & macro shots of dials. Should be fun & time consuming but great shots. Another thing i want to try is using my d300s that has a function of focusing on a full single subject, i would like to see how affective that is on a watch shot.

C.m.T

Reactions: zed073

·
Super Moderator
10,582 Posts
Looks terrific from here CMT ! :) :cool: I'm not a great picture taker, but all I know is I can see the watch, and it looks nice, and clear, and centered too ! :happy0065:Excellent job !!! ..Seems like you are really having fun. That's what it's all about. Enjoy CMT !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts