Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This topic has been addressed before, but I wanted to share with you my two solutions.

For the sake of this discussion the watch uses 20mm spring bars but the two solutions below apply across the board to other sizes.

First-- you can go to http://www.ofrei.com/page1229.html#18369 and order “Swiss Made 1.8 mm Thick Double Flange 20 mm Spring Bars.”

These spring bars are advertised as being “The Highest Quality Swiss Made Spring Bars.”

Scroll down a little further down on that web page and Otto Frei sells 22mm spring bars, and those spring bars have the warning:

“Beware” Do not buy these bars if you want easy bars to remove!

I believe him. By inference this warning also applies to the 20mm spring bars.

It is important to note that these are double flange spring bars.

I have never purchased these spring bars. I have about 30 inexpensive watches in my humble watch collection, so I tend to buy spring bars in lots of 10 or more. Although the cost of these spring bars is not going to break the bank, my go-to solution is the second solution because those spring bars are cheaper.

Second-- you can go to http://www.esslinger.com/watch-band-pin-1-80-mm-regular-double-shoulder-stainless-steel-spring-bars/ and order 21mm “Watch Band Pin 1.80 mm Regular Double Shoulder Stainless Steel Spring Bars.”

For those of you paying attention, note that there are two subtle differences in the second suggestion:

--The spring bars are 21mm instead of 20mm. That extra 1mm places the spring bar securely in its hole. A 22mm spring bar is a tad too long and won’t work.

--The spring bars are double shoulder, not double flange. Once in place, IMHO by design a double shoulder spring bar will remain securely in its hole more so than a double flange spring bar, which is good, but on the flip side a double shoulder spring bars is difficult to remove, which is bad.

Warning—removing a double shoulder spring bar from a watch with that extra 1mm is difficult, so I use these spring bars on those watches that will have only nylon straps or on certain watches whose leather strap or metal band I am unlikely to change.

If you change your mind, removing a double shoulder spring bar from a watch whose spring bar has that extra 1mm and has a leather strap is difficult, and removing a double shoulder spring bar from a watch that has a metal band is even more difficult, so I use every day plain ole double flange 1.8mm spring bars on most of my watches.

Once I lost my patience and out of frustration I went ahead and resorted to using a small pair of needle nose plyers and irreparably damaging the metal band in order to take it out.

I hope you found this thread useful.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
One of the reasons I'm a fan of the NATO straps is that they will hold on to your watch if a pin does pop out. They are not as nice as a good quality bracelet in most cases but some of the custom strap makers can make them in many fantastic colors and designs. I use NATO straps on the watches I tend to wear under harder working conditions.

Good pictorial below:.

http://www.brotherlandwatch.com/2010/10/how-install-stnato-style-strap.html

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
This topic has been addressed before, but I wanted to share with you my two solutions.

For the sake of this discussion the watch uses 20mm spring bars but the two solutions below apply across the board to other sizes.

First-- you can go to http://www.ofrei.com/page1229.html#18369 and order “Swiss Made 1.8 mm Thick Double Flange 20 mm Spring Bars.”

These spring bars are advertised as being “The Highest Quality Swiss Made Spring Bars.”

Scroll down a little further down on that web page and Otto Frei sells 22mm spring bars, and those spring bars have the warning:

“Beware” Do not buy these bars if you want easy bars to remove!

I believe him. By inference this warning also applies to the 20mm spring bars.

It is important to note that these are double flange spring bars.

I have never purchased these spring bars. I have about 30 inexpensive watches in my humble watch collection, so I tend to buy spring bars in lots of 10 or more. Although the cost of these spring bars is not going to break the bank, my go-to solution is the second solution because those spring bars are cheaper.

Second-- you can go to http://www.esslinger.com/watch-band-pin-1-80-mm-regular-double-shoulder-stainless-steel-spring-bars/ and order 21mm “Watch Band Pin 1.80 mm Regular Double Shoulder Stainless Steel Spring Bars.”

For those of you paying attention, note that there are two subtle differences in the second suggestion:

--The spring bars are 21mm instead of 20mm. That extra 1mm places the spring bar securely in its hole. A 22mm spring bar is a tad too long and won’t work.

--The spring bars are double shoulder, not double flange. Once in place, IMHO by design a double shoulder spring bar will remain securely in its hole more so than a double flange spring bar, which is good, but on the flip side a double shoulder spring bars is difficult to remove, which is bad.

Warning—removing a double shoulder spring bar from a watch with that extra 1mm is difficult, so I use these spring bars on those watches that will have only nylon straps or on certain watches whose leather strap or metal band I am unlikely to change.

If you change your mind, removing a double shoulder spring bar from a watch whose spring bar has that extra 1mm and has a leather strap is difficult, and removing a double shoulder spring bar from a watch that has a metal band is even more difficult, so I use every day plain ole double flange 1.8mm spring bars on most of my watches.

Once I lost my patience and out of frustration I went ahead and resorted to using a small pair of needle nose plyers and irreparably damaging the metal band in order to take it out.

I hope you found this thread useful.

I have a bunch of the double flange high quality springbars and they work great. They are very stiff and take patience getting them in and out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Double flanged spring bars are great if you do not have drilled lugs and change straps often.

For a few of the watches I have I used shoulder-less spring bars since the drilled lugs make it easy to remove even the tightest of bar setups.

Also remember a key point when buying spring bars for your watches, not all watches use the same size holes in the lugs. Seiko for example uses 1.1mm pins in their fat spring bars, while most other brands use a more traditional .7mm pin. Trying to use a Seiko Fat bar on a watch made for a traditional sized spring bar will make it unsecured and likely to pop out easily and often. Using a traditional sized bar in a Seiko will lead to rattling, loose fit, and potential damage to the lugs.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Great info, thank you !!!

I love it when we get lessons like that !!

I gave up setting up my bracelet after 20 mins tonight. I looked everywhere in my strap drawer because recently I bought every width in every 22mm and nothing. On one side of bracelet, it's perfect, on the other side it wiggles. I gave up and went with OM straps but would love to get the right bars soon without paying $15 plus shipping to Deep Blue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts