Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #341

Reactions: Reflex

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Michel Fugain is one of my favourite singers. Sunshine emanates from many of his songs.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
For Wednesday evening some little light entertainment, the duet from Phantom of the Opera (which is a musical and not an opera):

Reactions: Reflex

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
:D Oh man Frans, this is a really crazy coincidence, because I was
literally thinking I might either put this video up, or PM you about it. 🤯

I know this show Beste Zangers is a big hit you have over there in
the Netherlands, and that Floor is on it, or part of it. But wasn't sure
if you watched it, or were aware she was from the Netherlands.
Have been fortunate to know about her because I am a Nightwish
fan. Such an amazing voice, along with performance sir ! Thanks
so so much for posting !!! (y)(y)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #348 (Edited)
Tom, I am completely enamoured by Floor and have tried to find out as much about her as I could without going into too much into details. First the show itself. The Best Singers has been going on for many years but in 2017 the format was changed and that is the year Anne and I start watching it, it was her favourite show. Contrary to what many viewers from abroad think it is not a contest. Each season they invite about seven performers who are more or less at the top in their genre. The 2019 season was shot on Ibiza. They create an atmosphere for the artists to get comfortable and relaxed. Each of the singers performs for the others and they pick a song that is not there own but of one of the other artists and that means they have to get way out of their comfort zone.

Up to about a week ago I hadn't heard of Floor Jansen. (Jansen is derived from Jan's zoon, in English that would be John's son, or Johnson. It is one of the most common surnames in The Netherlands). Yes, her name was mentioned last year but because of Anne's illness we never watched that season. I sometimes watch 'reaction' videos and some 9 days ago stumbled on The Phantom of the Opera from De Beste Zangers 2019. Floor Jansen? BTW, Floor may sound a bit strange as a name but Floor is derived from Fleur and that itself has been borrowed from French, meaning flower. Her nickname is Flo.

And there she stood, that 6'1" magnificent singer. And my roller coaster ride began. I watched hours and hours of footage with her performing. All the songs she did in Beste Zangers 2019, the Nightwish concerts, the Ave maria duet, the aria from Puchini, you name it. She started at 16, had her own band and joined Nightwish in 2012 as a temporary replacement. When she starts singing, many get goose bumps, including me and you are completely blown away. They have a name for that and that is a Floorgasm :) She 39, lives in a rural area in Sweden, is married to Swedish drummer from another band and they have a three year old daughter. And the band Nightwish is from Finland. She trains with weights (it shows) to keep her upper body muscles in shape and has the lungs of a deep sea diver.

The genre is symphonic metal and not really my cup of tea although they are very proficient in what they do. The best in their genre. But Floor....... Oh my! The call her The Goddess. But I've watched a couple of Dutch interviews with her and when she's at home, without make-up, wearing an old pair of jeans, a plain jacket and wellies, she anything but that mega star that she turned out to be, playing 80K plus venues. She was virtually unknown in her own country. My country.

Ans now the end of my rant :) The gentleman she sings the duet from Phantom of the Opera with is Henk Poort (pronounced Hank Port with a prolonged O) and he played the Phantom for close to 20 years and was Floor's idol when she was a teenager. He still is. It shows when he starts singing with distortion (which can ruin an opera singer's voice). You see her nodding and encouraging him. They must have been coaching each other during the rehearsal. Boy, I wish I was a fly on the wall during that rehearsal! What follows was pure magic. Check out her other performances from that show, she sings a piece from Die Lüstige Widwe, the Vilja song, in German for Henk, her own rendition of a Spanish song which she changed from salsa to rockish and in Dutch. She was first to to sing at the beginning of that season and people could not believe their ears. Henk's mother sang this for him as a child, he was moved. Below are two more performances, you have to switch on the YouTube subs.

Scroll to 2:18 for the first one.

EDIT: and I completely missed your post on Nightwish, sorry for that.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
😄 No need to apologize Frans. (y)😉 That just makes this that much
more of incredible coincidence then sir, and like we have some kind of
psychic connection going on. The Force maybe. 😄 Honestly, just the
fact that Anne loved the show, and you guys enjoyed it is extraordinary
really. Wow, am kind of speechless about the whole thing.

Above you mentioned the whole goosebumps thing, and that is what
I am getting for multiple reasons. It's just amazing with you guys loving
the show, and now it comes full circle with Floor, and everything. Plus
the way she sings, often does give you goosebumps. Was actually
going to give you some information, and insight. But it looks like you
already turned the tables on me, and learned basically all that can be
learned about Floor. Wow ! Unbelievable sir !!! 😀

Have to thank you for all of the neat info on Beste Zangers by the
way. It's easy to see that all the people on the show are extremely
talented, and love how they have to adapt like chameleons to the
various kinds of music like that. Makes it that much more enjoyable,
as well as intriguing. Was lucky enough to see the Phantom of the
Opera video a while back, and a bunch of the snippets like this
above, but not the last two videos you posted. ..So thank you !!!
It has to be just the best seeing the full show when it's on over
there. Will be fun to hear what you have to say when the new
season starts. Hope you keep on enjoying, and rocking Frans ! 😎

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Can see why you've fallen (or been Floored) by her. Beautiful lady with a voice to match or vice versa
That is to put it mildly. A quote from one of the Dutch interviews: "An unknown world class superstar". (In The Netherlands). I will stop boring the pants off of you all now, this morning I promised the same to my colleagues :). On a final note and this comes straight from my heart: as I start very early, my office is still empty so I watched her singing O mio babbino caro from an opera by Puccini in a another Dutch show 7 years ago. (Tijl's Tenth, or Tyls Tenth for English speakers). I cried. I was alone so nobody saw me. I cried because everything I went through with my dear Anne came back. I cried because she conveys so much emotion that it was impossible for me not to cry. (And the meaning and lyrics were explanined).

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
Any guitar players in the house?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Or a little bit of Steve Vai perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
Yowza, is that remarkable?! Or what Frans?!! 👀 :D

She honestly has so much talent in those fingers, and hands
it's not even funny. It really is fantastic, and even though I don't
play the guitar, I love instrumental guitar music, instrumental
music, and music in general. So it's a real treat to see this
young genius make the guitar sing like this.

It's was electrifying ! 😉 Thank you !!!

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
OMG Steve Vai also ! This is epic !!! 😃 It's a perfect version too
honestly ! 🤯 Just learning to play the guitar would be neat, but
like this?! Incredible stuff ! Thanks a ton for introducing her to me,
and us sir. Unbelievable !!!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
In the first video she was 17. She's Tina S from France. An incredibly gifted talent.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
In the first video she was 17. She's Tina S from France. An incredibly gifted talent.
She really is extraordinary Frans ! 😯 Love how she can play all
kinds of music like this too, and can master anything. Astonishing !!!
It's funny I really enjoy instrumental rock guitarists, but wasn't aware
of Tina. So thanks so much once again ! (y)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
I don't want to boast but this is me when I was younger ;)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
Keeping within the theme and I promise this will be the last. This one I find even more awesome because of the live drumming (and boy, she's killing it!):

341 - 360 of 364 Posts