Watch Freeks banner

201 - 220 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Call me blasphemous, but I do believe Rory and Jimi and the like would even struggle to nail this one. At first. So very technical as opposed to the flowing, come-from-the-soul stuff.
It is absolutely incomparable. They all have (had) their distinct style. Like you can pick out say, Stanley Jordan or Earl Klugh just after a few notes. Or Eddie van Halen. I like the laid back style of Charlie Byrd a lot.

You can find more of Joscho Stephan with other players. With Tommy Emmanuel for instance and together they are brilliant playing Sweet Georgia Brown.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #204

How 'bout some red vinyl

Ah yes, colour vinyl. They allegedly produce (produced?) noticeable lower quality sound compared to normal vinyl. And then there were the 'picture' discs that really were bad.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A yes, colour vinyl. They allegedly produce (produced?) noticeable lower quality sound compared to normal vinyl. And then there were the 'picture' discs that really were bad.
A ton of Fantasy records were pressed in red for whatever reason. Guaraldi and Brubeck etc. I think all vinyl is technically colored since they add black to the vinyl compound. But yes the picture discs were awful. Tacky too!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #207

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
For her 70th birthday (a few years back) my mom asked my younger, guitar-playing brother and I for a performance of Classical Gas. We pulled it off alright but Tommy Emmanuel covers it quite well on his own.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
^^^^^ I taught him everything he knows! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
It strikes me that many guitar players stick to their worn guitar like glue. Tommy as well. Is it because those guitars fit them like a warm overcoat? They could buy a new one and many have at least a dozen guitars but seem to stick to that one, worn out guitar. -> Rory being a prime example.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It strikes me that many guitar players stick to their worn guitar like glue. Tommy as well. Is it because those guitars fit them like a warm overcoat? They could buy a new one and many have at least a dozen guitars but seem to stick to that one, worn out guitar. -> Rory being a prime example.
There's something special about a well-worn instrument. Almost like a old baseball glove, softened and stretched in the right places to fit perfectly. They ooze character for sure. I remember the term "beausage" being used like usage but with beauty. ;)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Goodwatch:
Easy answer Frans. Listening to acoustic mountain music aka the bluegrass genre.
Belong to a BG genre club. The Southwest BG club.
When not being a Low Brow I engross myself inmusic by the Eagles, Lynard Skynard
and the Allman Bros. Keeps me off the streets. But not as well as Corvid19.

Lou Snutt

201 - 220 of 268 Posts