Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just a quick poll to see what is popular with us Freeks. I am currently using the new Microsoft free protection with Windows 7 at home and I have the enterprise version of Macafee running on my main server at work which also updates all of the workstation clients. In all cases I have a system image of all machines (The kind that can restore your computer to the exact state at the time you made it including the OS all programs and all data) for the just in case scenario

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I use two.

On a couple of my home computers, we run 4 laptops and one desktop, I use Norton and on the others I use Trend Micro. When my Norton subscriptions expire I will switch to all Trend Micro. I think it is a better product and more user friendly.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

I'm doing the same thing as you Maui on my computer.

I do have a question though; my wife's laptop appears to be big time infected. We keep getting multiple pop up windows telling us we are infected and do we want to run Antivirus......there is now a new icon, looks like a fancy "A" on the bottom right tool bar. When you click on it it is the Anti virus program that the window wants us to pruchase....you cannot delete or end the program. I think we got when a window popped up claiming we had spyware and do we want to run a free scan.......my wife clicked "yes". Since then we cannot get rid of the pop up and now when I try to open task manager or control panel to try and delete a window pops up saying that certain files are infected and therefore these programs cannot be opened. It's a mess....I was going to take it into Best Buy and see about having them fix it.....your thoughts?

CJ
maui_freek wrote:
Just a quick poll to see what is popular with us Freeks. I am currently using the new Microsoft free protection with Windows 7 at home and I have the enterprise version of Macafee running on my main server at work which also updates all of the workstation clients. In all cases I have a system image of all machines (The kind that can restore your computer to the exact state at the time you made it including the OS all programs and all data) for the just in case scenario

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Seattle wrote:

I do have a question though; my wife's laptop appears to be big time infected. We keep getting multiple pop up windows telling us we are infected and do we want to run Antivirus......there is now a new icon, looks like a fancy "A" on the bottom right tool bar. When you click on it it is the Anti virus program that the window wants us to pruchase....you cannot delete or end the program. I think we got when a window popped up claiming we had spyware and do we want to run a free scan.......my wife clicked "yes". Since then we cannot get rid of the pop up and now when I try to open task manager or control panel to try and delete a window pops up saying that certain files are infected and therefore these programs cannot be opened. It's a mess....I was going to take it into Best Buy and see about having them fix it.....your thoughts?

CJ
maui_freek wrote:
Yeh that stinks ! sounds like someone clicked on yes when they shouldn't have. You can try the msconfig.exe and check for auto runs you don't recognize, these usually come in pairs so that deleting one still allows the other to recreate the one you deleted. but if you can Identify the abohrant program and either delete it, change the directory name, or what ever it takes to stop the auto run...above all DON"T follow that link , right now you only have some malware but follow that link and you could get terminal infections. If you are comfortable with regedit delete the Key value for the autorun

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Thanks Maui, I'll give it a try!:)
I'll let ya know what happens.

CJ

maui_freek wrote:
Seattle wrote:

CJ
maui_freek wrote:
Yeh that stinks ! sounds like someone clicked on yes when they shouldn't have. You can try the msconfig.exe and check for auto runs you don't recognize, these usually come in pairs so that deleting one still allows the other to recreate the one you deleted. but if you can Identify the abohrant program and either delete it, change the directory name, or what ever it takes to stop the auto run...above all DON"T follow that link , right now you only have some malware but follow that link and you could get terminal infections. If you are comfortable with regedit delete the Key value for the autorun

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

For my personal Windows and Linux pc's and servers AVG Internet Security.
McAfee Business for some clients.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

I use webroot security essentials, malwarebytes anti-malware, and superantispyware professional I have a laptop. I also have a flash drive with complete backup. Have only owned a computer for one year. to much I dont know.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Seattle wrote:
Thanks Maui, I'll give it a try!:)
I'll let ya know what happens.

CJ

maui_freek wrote:
Seattle wrote:

CJ
maui_freek wrote:
CJ,

That is exactly what my wife did and now the Laptop has been sent in for repair. Same pop-up. She uses Facebook a lot and I think that is where she picked up the pop-up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
imported post

I've been using the Staples version of McAfee Total Protection which is monitored by Staples. I bought the package ($60.00 installed) because I thought it was an improvement over McAfee by itself.

I was running the free version of AVG on both computers but the 5 year old desktop got nailed with a virus. I had the McAfee installed and found there was not any infection on the laptop.

Instead of paying Staples $140. to try to clean up the desktop hard drive, I took it out of the case and put it in an enclosure and attached it to the laptop via USB, I was able to clean up the virus and restore most of the files and it is now running a combination of free AVG and free superanitspyware Web Site link It now gets scanned every night at shutdown with both applications and appears to be OK.

After the cleanup of the desktop HD, I scanned the laptop with McAfee and it found nothing. Two days later I updated to the latest changes they had and again a full scan found nothing on the laptop.

If you use an external drive to store files, disconnect the USB connection when you are not using it. That will prevent a virus from infecting that drive if you happen to get one.

If you back up your PC on a mini drive through a USB port, connect it ONLY while you are backing up. That will keep your backup files safe. Treat that backup like you do your best grail watch.

If you don't back up, I hope you kept all your watch pictures on the storage cards that fit your camera(s). If not, there is a trip up s**t-creek in a small canoe without a paddle in your future.:b

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Best Buy wants $199 to fix it or $119 to upgrade to Win7 and than another $139 to fix and install!!! I am going to get her a new Netbook.....:%
The old one was 5 years, WinXP, slow processor, 40G hard drive, etc......why would put $200+ in it???

CJ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.