Watch Freeks banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to start a COVID-19 thread as this has no place at a watch forum but still want to share what has been going on over here. Effectively as from 18.00 CET all schools, colleges, universities, restaurants, bars, sports clubs, libraries, public venues and all gatherings with attendance >100 persons are closed. All out- and inbound flights are cancelled, many people see their vacation fall into water. We are in complete lock down. I may no longer go to our head office but am stationed at a subsidiary for at least three weeks. The rest of my team will work from home or at head office alternatively, 50/50. People are hoarding, fights in super markets have been reported. It's like a bad dream.

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Funny, I almost started a similar thread myself, Frans. It's simply too big now to act as if everything is normal. Your story is basically word for word what is happening here in Seattle and surrounding counties. Every day more closures are announced, schools, businesses, the Space Needle and public attractions, all sports teams amateur and pro (which has been well covered nationally). Restaurants are either closing or have no patrons to warrant staying open. There is no traffic in a city typically choked with it.

My wife has been working from home and will continue through end of April at least. Kids home, etc. Thank goodness for computers, education and much business can still be conducted and we are fortunate, though my business is temporarily thriving on the hysteria, that will change. Most folks are bracing themselves for quarantine.

It's a desolate feel around this big city, but I will say I'm impressed with the swiftness with which government officials are moving in an effort to slow this thing down

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
No gatherings of 250 or more, and in some districts 100 or more? Go to a giant supermarket and you will see 500 - 1,000 people in a building.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
News back home posted no more than 50 in a gathering for the next 8 weeks, in our surrounding counties, writes my Mother Inlaw. I'm away working, have been for months now, a few weeks to go.
The world feels smaller. Thanks Frans

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I don't want to start a COVID-19 thread as this has no place at a watch forum but still want to share what has been going on over here.
Intended or not Frans, it would appear that's what this thread has turned into. National disaster declared with many similar restrictions in place here but getting them to work effectively in Africa is a nigh on impossibility.

We currently have 30 horses on our property and just over half of them are boarders, with some high end owners from the middle east - a sobering responsibility at the best of times. Should we go into a lockdown scenario, we have serious concerns about the availability/access to feed, not to mention farriers, vets etc as we have limited feed storage capacity that would only last around 2-4 weeks. We're putting heads together in the region but are struggling to find sustainable solutions.

Here's hoping we're resilient enough to get through this unreal predicament - a pickle indeed

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
It sounds like we are all honestly living in the same town by the sound of
everything you are saying guys. It really is like a nightmare, but am very
happy you brought it up Frans. :thumb: Was also going to start a thread a few
different times, but then ended up not doing it. So thanks so much sir !
Think it's great just to be ale to talk about what's going on, and see how
everyone is doing, and dealing with things.

What's amazing is how fast everything got like this. I mean a couple weeks
ago things were still mostly normal here. With the stock market being the
only real strange thing that was happening. It was like a canary in a coal
mine for what was coming I guess. Because every day started getting worse
as far as news goes, and people began getting concerned. Literally every
day at the supermarket felt like the day before Thanksgiving, or New Years
with the amount of people. Then last week they started actually running
out of things. There was, and is unfortunately a real panic going on here.

Now just like you guys, the schools, most stores, and businesses are all
closed, and basically just supermarkets, and gas stations are open. With
the roads, and streets all sounding extra quiet. Almost like a Sunday
afternoon might. About the only positive has been, that you actually see
people outside now either in their yards, talking, and even walking around
town.

Other than that, it is the unkown, or fear of the unknown that seems to
have most so worried. Hopefully a little while down the road, things begin
to shift, and we see a light at the end of the tunnel. Because right now
it is like the Twilight Zone, or bad dream that we can't seem to wake up
from.

It's actually almost normal feeling when staying away from the news
though honestly. But as soon as you check up on what's going on with
things, it sounds like the sky is falling again.

However, it's fantastic to be able to talk with you guys, and hear about
how we are all going through the same thing, and how similar things
are all over. ..Really does feel like a small world, but one where we at
least are out, and about talking to each other.

Really hope that all of you guys, and your families are doing alright,
and most importantly that you stay safe, and healthy.

Thanks very very much for the thread Frans !

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our Prime Minister just addressed the nation (the first time since a PM did this since 1973) and what he basically told us is to brace for more measures to be announced. If, and only if, matters get worse still. And to stick together and help each other where possible. The upside this morning: almost no traffic so a new record to get to work :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I’ve seen an encouraging display of goodwill around here. People donating food and goods and volunteering their time and help where needed.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, same here. People offering doing grocery shopping for the elderly, helping out with kids, etc. At 20.00, hundreds of people in my neighbourhood opened their windows to cheer and applaud our healthcare workers, police, fire brigades and teachers. Like it happened in Italy and Spain. It takes hard times to bring people closer together.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yes, same here. People offering doing grocery shopping for the elderly, helping out with kids, etc. At 20.00, hundreds of people in my neighbourhood opened their windows to cheer and applaud our healthcare workers, police, fire brigades and teachers. Like it happened in Italy and Spain. It takes hard times to bring people closer together.
Absolutely. The first thing many people here compare the feeling to is the September 11 attacks. Completely different but a very tough time.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts

It's sad that it takes those hard, or tough times to bring people closer Frans.
Wish we were like that, or this all of the time. But at least we are there now.
Or at least getting there it sounds like. Am hoping the trend continues sir.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are heading for a total lock-down. All major retail chains (incl. the likes of IKEA) have closed. General transport has scaled down to emergency schedules. In Italy over 400 people per day die because of this virus. As long as my loved ones are safe and I can eat I'm OK. Good luck all!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
All WFs:
Same old same O here in N E Texas.
2 deaths in neighboring Dallas county. One 30 yo and one 60ish in a retirement home
No visitors to any retirement homes locally.
I feel like Lt William Calley of Mi Lai VN fame. Wife and I are in house arrest. Wife and
I are 81 and 82 y o respectively. Our springoffs are buying groceries and dropping them
off at our door. Toilet paper, bread and milk are AWOL at local groc stores.
I havent had a single watch collecting thought in over a week. Survival % of above 70
years old is 70%. 3 of every 10 infected old sods will die!!!

Kids raised a ruckus because I attended our BG music club jam session last Sat.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
All WFs:
Same old same O here in N E Texas.
2 deaths in neighboring Dallas county. One 30 yo and one 60ish in a retirement home
No visitors to any retirement homes locally.
I feel like Lt William Calley of Mi Lai VN fame. Wife and I are in house arrest. Wife and
I are 81 and 82 y o respectively. Our springoffs are buying groceries and dropping them
off at our door. Toilet paper, bread and milk are AWOL at local groc stores.
I havent had a single watch collecting thought in over a week. Survival % of above 70
years old is 70%. 3 of every 10 infected old sods will die!!!

Kids raised a ruckus because I attended our BG music club jam session last Sat.

Lou Snutt

I'm glad to know you're doing well Lou Snutt (man that name still cracks me up every time!). It warms my heart to know you have some offspring to help you out! You keep on keepin' on, my man!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The number of fatalities per 24 hour is slowly but steadily rising over here. The military are deployed to divide patients over hospitals in different provinces to prevent overload. Our government has freed 65 billion Euro as a safety net for businesses that are hit hard, very hard by the measures taken so far. The streets are deserted, almost everything is closed. One bar in my town, The Après Ski Hut, has started a live stream (from 21.00 to 02.00) with Face Time input to keep up the spirit as they are closed for regular business. Singing and dancing like they do for a live audience. Very, very corny repertoire but it puts a smile on my face. I'm going out for grocery shopping tomorrow in another attempt to get some essential stuff. There's plenty but the challenge is to stock supermarkets fast enough to beat the hoarders. Like I mentioned in another post, I expect our government to close all borders and introduce a curfew the coming week.

As long as my loved ones , especially my daughter and her boyfriend, are safe I can sleep well. They are having a tiny vacation in 'tiny house' this weekend, far away from the city and they have shut off their Internet access.

Keep safe my friends, together we will overcome this. Like Rotterdam's motto: 'Stronger through Struggle'.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.